Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2017 11:02:19 PM EDT
My first AR build is now complete!

Now to get headspace checked and then off to the range!

Steve
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
... and then off to the range!

Steve
View Quote
Not too fast there. First you have to get a pup-tent, go out in the yard and set it up and sleep with the rifle next to you for 3 or 4 days. After that, fill a ruck with 40 or 50 lbs., and go on a 20 mile hike (carrying the rifle, of course). All the while, eating some good MRE's... I suggest the Turkey, Diced with Gravy.

THEN, you can go to the range...

Looks good, you should have a lot of fun with it. I love a good A1.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You picked a classic to start. Looks good!
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks great!  The retro world has you hooked now.  But it's not complete until you get a USGI type sling on there and you had better have a bayonet handy to snap on just in case you run out of ammo!
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Head space... HA     Definitely a smart idea, but its an AR, go ahead live on the edge! Go fire that guy and if it has any issues, start the troubleshooting.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks great!  The retro world has you hooked now.  But it's not complete until you get a USGI type sling on there and you had better have a bayonet handy to snap on just in case you run out of ammo!
View Quote
I was hooked before I even knew there was a 'retro community'. The day I was issued my first M16A1 in basic training, in June of 1988, I was hooked for life.

Modern AR's may be nice and you can hook a toaster to it, along with anything else you want to, but to me they're just fugly. The A1 is sleek and sexy though. It fits in my hands like my hands were made to hold it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Yup, I have always loved the lines of the original.  I don't know why.  I've never been a fan of all the Picatinny rails and collapsible stocks and all that.  

I'm probably the last person in the world to finally own an AR15, so now everyone can move on to other things.  :)

Steve
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#8]
She turned out great, stock came out really nice as well!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Good Job.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good.  Until I saw your comment about Basic in '88, I was going to suggest some C-rats instead of MREs.

rob
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Until I saw your comment about Basic in '88, I was going to suggest some C-rats instead of MREs.

rob
View Quote
C Rations are just a little before my time. lol
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks good.

Where did you get the furniture?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe I got the furniture from Royal Tiger Imports.  I think.  I bought them a couple of years ago, but only ramped up my build a month ago.  I still have the paperwork though.

The front stock was in great shape, like new, but the butt stock was cracked and the end plate was destroyed.  I dremeled out the cracks, then filled with JB Weld, and then filed smooth and sanded.  Then I painted with Adhesion Promotor, then Kryon flat black.  Smoothed it out a bit with some scotchbrite to make it a little less flat and now it looks good as new.  Had to buy a new end cap.

Steve
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top