User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Will the 12.7" & 14.7" barrels have M4 feed ramps?  Need to know which upper to get.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will the 12.7" & 14.7" barrels have M4 feed ramps?  Need to know which upper to get.
View Quote
The Brownell retro barrels have standard rifle feed ramps, not m4.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The Brownell retro barrels have standard rifle feed ramps, not m4.
View Quote
That's the biggest thing stopping me from ordering a carbine barrel, I have spare upper receivers, but they all have ramps. I don't want to spend the money on another A1 or A2 upper and C7s are too hard to find right now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Holy crap, dude, you just saved me $35!  I have never even thought about this benefit!  I just filed my claim.  Now to see if it works without hassle!

Steve
View Quote
I went years without thinking about it too. Then, one day out of the blue, Citi emailed me about a purchase that I had made and said that they had found me a lower price, all I had to do was log in to claim my refund. Then the light bulb went off over my head lol.

Now, any and every purchase that I make with my card, I look for the lowest prices I can and for 60 days after the purchase, I'll watch for a price drop. Citi gives you 60 days after the purchase, Chase gives you 90 days.

On Amazon, if you use Prime, 9 times out of 10 you pay more than you might from just a normal listing. But, the normal listings might charge shipping. So if I buy something with Prime for $50 with free shipping, but some other listing has the same exact thing for $39.95 with $10 shipping, I'll buy the $50 free shipping item then price match the $39.95 price and get the lower price. Shipping charges aren't taken into consideration when they do the price matching.

These cards give you up to $2500 per year, I'm determined to get all $2500 lol.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Something else I meant to mention is, if you spend $3,000 within a 3 month period on your bills or various other things that you have to spend on (not including a mortgage or car payment), and haven't had a Capital One Venture card or a Chase Sapphire card (theirs is $4,000 in 3 months), then apply for one of those cards (but make sure you're eligible for their bonus).

With Capital One, if you spend $3,000 within the first 90 days of having the card, they give you a 40,000 point bonus. Which you can turn into $400 worth of gift cards. With them, I got $400 worth of Wal-Mart gift cards, then used them for grocery shopping and basically converted the gift cards into $400 cash which I used to buy a surplus A1 kit (which I got for $385 I think).

With Chase, they give 50,000 points for $4,000 in spending within the first 90 days. With that one, I knew I had a large purchase coming up and I knew I was going to buy my M1A. So $4,000 in 90 days was going to happen regardless. So I got my 50,000 bonus points and Chase allows you to cash them in for money. So I cashed them in and got $500 deposited to my bank account... actually, it was closer to $650 I think because my purchases also racked up points in addition to the 50,000 bonus points.

That, along with calling DirecTV and Cox (my Internet/Phone provider) to threaten to cancel, has basically gotten me a free M1 Garand, a free Range Officer 1911, an two free Ar-15's (an A1 and an A2) over the past several years.

You have to play the game if you want cool, free stuff... lol
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#6]
VABeachGuy you are a master!!!  

Steve
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
VABeachGuy you are a master!!!  

Steve
View Quote
lol The key to it is to pay off the charges immediately. Don't let interest build. So only buy what you would normally pay off immediately. I pay my electric bill, internet bill, phone, DirecTV and various other monthly bills that way. So a good chunk of any required spending is taken care of right there.

I've tried to figure out how to do my mortgage that way, but I haven't found a way to do that yet. Also, I bought a new car recently and intended to put $5,000 cash down on it. So I used my credit card and got 2% cash back AND fulfilled their minimum spending requirement for their bonus. When I got back from getting the car, I immediately paid the $5,000 so no interest would build.

Like I said, it's all a game, you just have to use the rules in your favor lol.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The barrels arrived today…. wow, I am very impressed.  One heck of a deal, especially considering that there are basically ready to screw on.  Awesome!  As already stated earlier, the ding in the bore is trivial at best.

Only bummer, is the upper receiver that I ordered was absent from the box…. called Brownell's, as per the course with their excellent service, the missing receiver is inbound.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Screw it, I went ahead and ordered the 14.7" blem barrel to replace a Numrich 14.5" pin weld Bushmaster Barrel with Izzy Flashider that had a canted Front Sight Tower. With the LDD code, It actually came out cheaper than to risk another order from Numrich.  I called them today to see if I could return it but since it was past the return window, they were going to charge me return shipping and a 15% re-stocking fee. I am just going to take it off and throw it in the spare parts bin for a future build.
View Quote
I bought one of the 14.5" BM barrels from Numrich too and it had a canted FSB as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about getting one of the 14.7" stripped blems from Brownells, they aren't cut for the taper pins. I called this morning and made sure. Judging from the pictures, it looks like the 14.7" complete barrels have a retro style delta ring assembly, so that's a big plus for ones doing retro builds. Coupon codes LDD and M3P are both valid until May 31st, both codes gets you $10 off and free shipping.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Argh..I need a 20" A1 barrel. Missed out
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought one of the 14.5" BM barrels from Numrich too and it had a canted FSB as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about getting one of the 14.7" stripped blems from Brownells, they aren't cut for the taper pins. I called this morning and made sure. Judging from the pictures, it looks like the 14.7" complete barrels have a retro style delta ring assembly, so that's a big plus for ones doing retro builds. Coupon codes LDD and M3P are both valid until May 31st, both codes gets you $10 off and free shipping.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Screw it, I went ahead and ordered the 14.7" blem barrel to replace a Numrich 14.5" pin weld Bushmaster Barrel with Izzy Flashider that had a canted Front Sight Tower. With the LDD code, It actually came out cheaper than to risk another order from Numrich.  I called them today to see if I could return it but since it was past the return window, they were going to charge me return shipping and a 15% re-stocking fee. I am just going to take it off and throw it in the spare parts bin for a future build.

I'm gonna chop the front sight post off and put a Samson rail on it for another build.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm gonna chop the front sight post off and put a Samson rail on it for another build.
View Quote
I'm contemplating chopping the 20" barrel at the gas port for a dedicated .22LR blow-back build.

That said, I'm curious to see how well this barrel performs before alteration.  Everything I have read about Ballistic Advantage has been stellar.  I wonder if Molon would be interest in giving it a run for it's $$$?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm contemplating chopping the 20" barrel at the gas port for a dedicated .22LR blow-back build.

That said, I'm curious to see how well this barrel performs before alteration.  Everything I have read about Ballistic Advantage has been stellar.  I wonder if Molon would be interest in giving it a run for it's $$?
View Quote
This rifle will also be my designated rifle for my .22lr conversion kit. I am curious as to how it well it will group .22lr.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#14]
My barrel came this week. Very nice as expected.

Anyone else ever notice how a perfectly good $119 complete barrel assembly ends up costing you $400 to make it as exact as you can without a SBR stamp? The stamp would bring it to $600... Hate this dam retro black rifle disease...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hate this dam retro black rifle disease...
View Quote
I've had it since before it was 'retro' lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about getting one of the 14.7" stripped blems from Brownells, they aren't cut for the taper pins..
View Quote
Well, both the 14.7 and 20" blemished barrels most definitely utilize taper pins to secure the FSB.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've had it since before it was 'retro' lol
View Quote
Mines been around since childhood.

I got in trouble for ordering a jungle carbine from the shotgun news at age of nine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I broke weak and ordered a 14.7 inch barrel and related parts...

Price was too good with the coupon code and free shipping plus I had to add the minor parts to get the order above $150...

I'll make a nice 652ish clone...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Got my barrel in today. I can't even see a mark on the opposite side of the gas port. I held it up to a light and moved it around and all I could see was the gas port.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#20]
OK rookie question, what other parts do these need, just gas tube and pin?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't need one but with that coupon code it was worth it.

Used it to build my pseudo A1/A4-ish mongrel:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I like that it uses taper pins, but whoever did mine should've been paying more attention. The 'rear' pin is BARELY still on the FSB. There's maybe a millimeter from the edge to the hole and it looks like it wasn't even drilled straight. When I was knocking out the front one (to take off the handguard cap), the rear one actually came out on its own due to the vibration/force. Oh well it was cheap.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OK rookie question, what other parts do these need, just gas tube and pin?
View Quote
Gas tube, gas tube pin, flash hider or faux moderator (depending on what you are putting together), flash hider washer if necessary, and of course some handguards.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the help!  Have been collecting parts for awhile, going to try for a Colt 653.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#24]
My (4) 14.7" barrels (I got in yesterday) are packed and ready to ship to JT on Tuesday.

JT is going to pin and weld the A1 Muzzle devise for me.
The plan is to do (2) each of the Model 653 and the 654

Ron

I also got in (4) of the 16" barrels, but now I wish I had gotten the 11.5" barrels to do the moderator style.
I have to decide if I want to have JT do them cut the barrels and pin & weld or just find some 11.5" barrels & have him pin and weld them.
Decisions decisions need to be made.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I didn't need one but with that coupon code it was worth it.

Used it to build my pseudo A1/A4-ish mongrel:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG-4882-217280.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG-4883-217288.JPG

I like that it uses taper pins, but whoever did mine should've been paying more attention. The 'rear' pin is BARELY still on the FSB. There's maybe a millimeter from the edge to the hole and it looks like it wasn't even drilled straight. When I was knocking out the front one (to take off the handguard cap), the rear one actually came out on its own due to the vibration/force. Oh well it was cheap.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG-4899-217284.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG-4900-217286.JPG
View Quote
I like the looks of this one. I got another  20" retro barrel in this week and was not sure what to do with it.
(It was just a good buy)
This looks like a great idea.
Thanks
Ron
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Delete how much is JT going to charge you to pin and weld those flash hiders?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Delete how much is JT going to charge you to pin and weld those flash hiders?
View Quote
$210, includes shipping, insurance.
I furnish the barrels and flash hiders.
A good price to get it done right.

Ron

Note: I have a welder & drill press. but getting it done like it should be done is best done by JT.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I called them today to see if I could return it but since it was past the return window, they were going to charge me return shipping and a 15% re-stocking fee.
View Quote
Check your credit card benefits (assuming you used a credit card). A couple of mine have purchase protection, and if I need to return something that the seller won't accept, and it's within 60 (or is it 90?) days, the credit card benefit kicks in and you can get some, if not all of your money back.

I've never used hat particular benefit, so I don't know exactly how it works, but it's worth looking in to if you're still within the window of time that the benefit would cover your purchase.

If you do use it, let me know how it worked. Did you have to send the item to the credit card company? Did you keep it and get money back? I'm not sure how all that works, so I'd be curious.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#29]
The taper pins on my barrels are nicely done… Plenty of meat left of the wider diameter end of the pin, I would have no reservations pressing them out and reinstalling (if that is your intention for ac custom build).  

Nice barrels…. I am really looking forward to some range reports.  They are a steal for the asking price, especially considering they arrive ready to install.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My (4) 14.7" barrels (I got in yesterday) are packed and ready to ship to JT on Tuesday.

JT is going to pin and weld the A1 Muzzle devise for me.
The plan is to do (2) each of the Model 653 and the 654

I also got in (4) of the 16" barrels, but now I wish I had gotten the 11.5" barrels to do the moderator style.
I have to decide if I want to have JT do them cut the barrels and pin & weld or just find some 11.5" barrels & have him pin and weld them.
Decisions decisions need to be made.
View Quote
I got the (4) 14.7 barrels in the mail today. Going to JT.
So I guess I need to dig out the parts to build the Carbines when the barrel get back to me.

I re-read this thread and some really good ideas.
I decided to do (1) each 651,652,653,654.
I have the parts to do them.
This is so much fun for an old man to do.
Ron
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey VaBeachGuy - I got an email from my CC company yesterday - they found in my favor and will send me a check for $40.

Thanks for alerting me to this benefit - I intend to use it to its fullest now!

Nice barrels…. I am really looking forward to some range reports.
View Quote
You can see my results here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/714084_Shot-my-new-A1-ish-clone-today-with-blemished-Brownell-s-barrel---.html

Steve
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hey VaBeachGuy - I got an email from my CC company yesterday - they found in my favor and will send me a check for $40.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/714084_Shot-my-new-A1-ish-clone-today-with-blemished-Brownell-s-barrel---.html

Steve
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice barrels…. I am really looking forward to some range reports.

Steve
After viewing your results, I am glad I took a gamble on the 14.7" barrel. I hope to get similar results. On a positive note, the USMC Bayonet can be mounted on it perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I can't mount it to the lower until I get it pinned and welded, but it's looking good in a CAR-15 configuration.

This is what it looked like with the Numrich barrel that had the canted front sight post. Got it replaced, all I need to do is go sight it in.

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Steve
View Quote
Great! That's awesome! It's a great benefit that a lot of people may know about, but don't seem to use. Back around Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I went through all of my eligible purchases from the past 60 to 90 days, and got about $300 back because of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals.

They have a $2500 annual maximum allowance on claims, and I intend to get as much of that $2500 as I can lol.  I won't buy things that I otherwise wouldn't have bought, but if I buy something, I search for a lower price online, and if I find one, I claim it.

On Amazon, I'll pay more for an item if it has free shipping and no taxes, even though another exact item is $15 less even after their shipping is added in. That way, I get the free shipping AND the lower price (after I put in my claim). On top of that, I get the full amount of reward points for the original, higher price... lol
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Got my $40 check today.  Yeah, I'm totally going to max out this benefit.

So like a couple of weeks ago I saw a RIA 1911 for like $334.  Which of course would also have an FFL fee if I had it shipped.  I could just go buy it local and then price-match to the sale price - I bet they don't consider FFL fees!

Steve
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Got my $40 check today.  Yeah, I'm totally going to max out this benefit.

So like a couple of weeks ago I saw a RIA 1911 for like $334.  Which of course would also have an FFL fee if I had it shipped.  I could just go buy it local and then price-match to the sale price - I bet they don't consider FFL fees!

Steve
View Quote
No, they only take into account the price of the product. My first 1911 was an RIA, then last summer I decided to buy a Springfield Armory Range Officer. So I went to the gun store and picked one out and bought it. It was something like $750 or $799 at the gun store... which was overpriced, and I knew it. But I bought it anyway, because I knew I could price match it down to around $590 (or somewhere thereabouts). So that's what I did, and I got a free range membership at the gun store, to boot.

I've been thinking about taking my RIA in to the store to see what they'd give me for it. I think I paid $430 for it in 2014. Either that or I may put it on GB and see what I can get for it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry for the derail, but since we are talking about 1911s... :)

I don't think I'll buy another sub-$800 1911.  I bought a Springfield Armory GI once and had never owned a gun that was not as accurate as I was.  I discovered how poor it was after shooting a friend's Colt Series 70.  Then last weekend I shot my Ruger P90, and then shot my friend's Sig Sauer.  His was way more accurate.  I was tempted on the $335 RIA though...

Anyway I'm totally sold on the credit card price protection plan.  Like you said - buy on convenience and then just use the price match to get the price you want.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

$210, includes shipping, insurance.
I furnish the barrels and flash hiders.
A good price to get it done right.

Ron

Note: I have a welder & drill press. but getting it done like it should be done is best done by JT.
View Quote
Yeah. Years ago when I had a Bridgeport with a DRO I drilled through a barrel when I was trying to pin it. I didn't really want an SBR barrel, but that's what it became.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the tip. Got a 14.7" for a psuedo 607 style upper build. Great price. Now have to choose who to send it to to chop it down and thread it.
Any suggestions who to send it to? Never had one chopped before. I am not familiar with JT. Have heard good things from Adco.

So what is the color like on these barrels and FSB?. The pics so far look like a fairly deep black.  At this price I dont really care just curious.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Received my14.7 inch barrel last week...

Nice barrel for a good price!!!

Fired up my TIG and pinned the flash hider in place...

Installed the barrel on a slick side upper I had from Fulton Armory...

And getting ready to go test it out before the sun goes down...

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#42]
^nice. Can we a see a pic of how you did the weld?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anyway I'm totally sold on the credit card price protection plan.  Like you said - buy on convenience and then just use the price match to get the price you want.

Steve
View Quote
I ordered a new barrel today, not from Brownells though. I didn't get one of their blems when the opportunity arose, unfortunately. But, I did find a listing for a 20" 1:9 for $154, which was sold out. So, since it's a 20" 1:9 lightweight, I'm going to see if the card will match the 20" 1:9 Pencil. If they do, then great! If they don't, well, I had to buy a new barrel anyway so it just is what it is.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I got the (4) 14.7 barrels in the mail today. Going to JT.
So I guess I need to dig out the parts to build the Carbines when the barrel get back to me.

I re-read this thread and some really good ideas.
I decided to do (1) each 651,652,653,654.
I have the parts to do them.
This is so much fun for an old man to do.
Ron
View Quote
I got the 4 barrels back today.
They are perfect. Great work, fast turnaround.
I have to dig out some parts and send him some more to do for me.

Thanks JT for the excellent work, great price.
www.retroarmsworks.com
Note: the picture shows the more grey than they are. They are almost black.

Ron

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone know what the gas port hole size is on these A1 14.7" barrels? Im going to be chopping mine down to 10.3 or 10.5 and curious if it might already be close to what I'll need, which from what Im reading may be in the .071 to.073 range for the 10.3" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I got the 4 barrels back today.
They are perfect. Great work, fast turnaround.
I have to dig out some parts and send him some more to do for me.

Thanks JT for the excellent work, great price.
www.retroarmsworks.com
Note: the picture shows the more grey than they are. They are almost black.

Ron
View Quote
What did he do to the barrels for you?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What did he do to the barrels for you?
View Quote
pin and weld the A1 Muzzle devise
Ron
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Steve
View Quote
I got my price protection approval today. I bought a 1:9 pencil from ar15sport.com for $250, but I'd found a Del-Ton 1:9 twist lightweight advertised for $155 (out of stock). So I bought the $250 and put in the claim on the $155 and today got my $95 refund.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Yeah man, I'm totally onto this game now!  :) Way to go!

Steve
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top