Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2017 12:24:08 PM EDT
Decent variety of retro barrels with a killer price (use code M3P for $10 off & free shipping too). Looks like most are about $105 off not including the $10 off coupon.
Link to retro bbls
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow I might have to pick up some of those just because.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Oooh.. Another 14.7 pinned build would neeeato
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Man that's $40 cheaper than I paid for the same blemished barrel!!!

I bought mine back on 4/21!

If only I had waited not even a month!

Steve
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Well hell... I guess I'll just have to go ahead and get one. I was debating whether I wanted to use my partial fence lower for an XM177E2 or an XM16E1. Looks like this may be the tipping point.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Man I might have to scrounge together some cash and get another one of these. They are going cheaper then when I bought my 20" a few weeks ago. Kind of annoyed about that but that's life
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 12.7" pencil blem.  Thanks for the code!  $10 off and free shipping...
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oooh.. Another 14.7 pinned build would neeeato
View Quote

I thought about pinning this ugly thing on my 14.7 blem but it's WAY more likely I'll pin a Birdcage on it to replace the "spacer + birdcage" barrel on the 652. That spacer has always niggled at me so it's got to go!

I can always use the "spacer + birdcage" barrel to cut down for am XM later.

ETA $135.00 for a 20" barrel assembly? You  guys have NO shame! I just replaced the motor in my truck! I don't NEED another 20" barrel assembly! I fuggin hate you guys sometimes!
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I assume the 1/12 twist is inline with repro standards?

Any idea what the blems are? Maybe just in the finish?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I assume the 1/12 twist is inline with repro standards?

Any idea what the blems are? Maybe just in the finish?
View Quote
Whilst drilling the gas ports the tool made contact with the bore opposite the gas port.

Visible only with a bore scope.

Damage varies but from pictures of those that were able to take them it wasn't enough to make me flinch.

I only hope for minute of paper plate at 100 yds so that little divot won't hurt my accuracy at all.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Use code LDD for $10 off and free shipping.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
M5T for $20 off of $200 and free shipping.  Needed another barrel like I need another wife,  when I actually needed a new pair of shoes.  Gee honey I forgot to get the shoes but look,  I got a new barrel.  Woo!  Hoo!  

ETA $135.00 for a 20" barrel assembly? You guys have NO shame! I just replaced the motor in my truck! I don't NEED another 20" barrel assembly! I fuggin hate you guys sometimes!

I bought two mid length Bear Creek LW 16" this AM for $50 each,  then this.  Got a rack full I haven't even fired.  Damn AR's are breeding like African Cichlids in 9.0 PH aqua.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got the feeling that the sale barrels might not be there long.  So I placed an order tonite for the 14.7.

I wonder which blemish it is? The gas port "oops" or triangle cap.

This one is going to be a 604 upper/601 lower with N1 stock.
A1 flash hider pinned with colt XM177 hgs.
And one of the side sling mounts.
That's got to be one of the lightest retro non-NFA weapons I can get.

So I forgot to order the gas tube and buffer tube assy. Does the code work twice?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#13]
LDD worked great. $119.99 for a complete new barrel assembly, wow!
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#14]
So I forgot to order the gas tube and buffer tube assy. Does the code work twice?

Probably.  Lots of codes out there right now also if it doesn't.  Code "MAY" is free shipping only over $50.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#15]
This is great, I tried to order some of the barrels last week, but my computer skills are not so good.
I just gave up.

Today! I saw this and figured I would try again.
Success!

I was able to get 1 20" and 3 16", plus a few other small parts.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ron
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#16]
yall are killin me.... my wedding is in three days, spending too much on that and now I see barrels on sale....
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Couldn't resist the 20" barrels either. Got two of those coming in..

L9Q for 30 off 300 free s/h

I'm back from the Sarlacc Baby!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Darn. I got one for $165 when they came out. Now I have another @$135. Maybe a third when they're $99 next week.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Dang it, I should of ordered last night, looks like the codes for the free shipping with the $10 or $20 off for $100-$200 spent is no longer valid. oh well I cant complain about the MAY code for free shipping.

I have a 16" Double star pencil barrel I was going to send off to JT, but is the 12.7" barrel the correct one to use with either Bracemans or JT's grenade ring and XM177 moderator without having to cut down the barrel? if so that might save me some machine work expense and I'll use the 16" DS for another build.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

is the 12.7" barrel the correct one to use with either Bracemans or JT's grenade ring and XM177 moderator without having to cut down the barrel? if so that might save me some machine work expense and I'll use the 16" DS for another build.
View Quote
I got the Brownells 12.7" and the Brownells XM177 moderator and it was about 5/8" too long. John Thomas cut and rethreaded the barrel to make legal length and also smoothed and reparked the FSB to make it look cast. It looks great! He also removed the bayonet lug on the FSB as that is not correct.......
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
yall are killin me.... my wedding is in three days, spending too much on that and now I see barrels on sale....
View Quote
Dude. I made that mistake years ago. Then, no gun stuff for a long time. Get them now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I got the Brownells 12.7" and the Brownells XM177 moderator and it was about 5/8" too long. John Thomas cut and rethreaded the barrel to make legal length and also smoothed and reparked the FSB to make it look cast. It looks great! He also removed the bayonet lug on the FSB as that is not correct.......
View Quote
OK I think the Brownells moderator is the same length as JT's and Bracemans, 4.33 without the grenade ring. well if I have to have it cut and rethreaded also, it doesn't save me any machining money, but it is still $10 cheaper.

I went ahead and ordered a 12.7 and another 20", threw in two cans of alumahyde and a can of AERVOE paint I needed, took it to just over $300 used code L9Q got free shipping and $30 off the order.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone know what the blemish is?
If its caps I have to track one down.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#24]
is that one you got from me?
I was always curious if those were accurate copies.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does anyone know what the blemish is?
If its caps I have to track one down.
View Quote
When drilling the gas port, they went too deep and nicked the opposite side of the barrel.

This is from the listing:

"Brownells Blemished AR-15 Retro A1 Rifle Barrel Assembly is fully serviceable but has a minor blemish in the bore opposite the gas port. It will function as normal. We offer these barrels to you at a discount price simply because of this minor blemish."
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bought a 12.7" pencil blem.  Thanks for the code!  $10 off and free shipping...
View Quote
I told myself no, but now there's a coupon code..
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I got into this retro thing to build one AR and then switch back to AKs. Now I have one AR built, a 80% lower and now another 20" barrel. This is going to ruin me .
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Would this pose any problem while shooting, any accuracy changes?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Great, another barrel on the way. Just what I needed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When drilling the gas port, they went too deep and nicked the opposite side of the barrel.

This is from the listing:

"Brownells Blemished AR-15 Retro A1 Rifle Barrel Assembly is fully serviceable but has a minor blemish in the bore opposite the gas port. It will function as normal. We offer these barrels to you at a discount price simply because of this minor blemish."
View Quote
Would this pose any problem in the future?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Decent variety of retro barrels with a killer price (use code M3P for $10 off & free shipping too). Looks like most are about $105 off not including the $10 off coupon.
Link to retro bbls
View Quote

If you're going to buy a barrel, minus well spend another 10-20 dollars and be able to use the "M3T" code which gets you 20$ off 175$ and free shipping.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

is that one you got from me?
I was always curious if those were accurate copies.
View Quote
Maybe. Hell I can't remember where half of this s**t came from!

I thought I bought it from Tony's but I just went and looked and theirs is different.

It's not the worst looking one I've seen but......

I wish someone would make a screw on that is a twat hair longer than an original.

I think it needs to be a whole inch longer but if the fake "grenade ring" was 1/8" longer and the "neck" directly in front of that was 1/8" longer and the body was 3/4" longer (or some combination to keep it looking as original as possible) then Bob's your Uncle it would look much better than 99% of the slipovers out there.

Just dreaming.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Would this pose any problem in the future?
View Quote
I'm no expert, but my understand is that it will affect accuracy. How much? Someone more schooled than I may be able to answer that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Maybe. Hell I can't remember where half of this s**t came from!

I thought I bought it from Tony's but I just went and looked and theirs is different.

It's not the worst looking one I've seen but......

I wish someone would make a screw on that is a twat hair longer than an original.

I think it needs to be a whole inch longer but if the fake "grenade ring" was 1/8" longer and the "neck" directly in front of that was 1/8" longer and the body was 3/4" longer (or some combination to keep it looking as original as possible) then Bob's your Uncle it would look much better than 99% of the slipovers out there.

Just dreaming.
View Quote
The faux moderators that AR15Sport.com sells are longer.  I just pinned and welded one of theirs on a DoubleStar 11.5" barrel and it is 16.2" to the bolt face.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The faux moderators that AR15Sport.com sells are longer.  I just pinned and welded one of theirs on a DoubleStar 11.5" barrel and it is 16.2" to the bolt face.
View Quote

You KNOW what a bunch of voyeurs we are! Let's see how it turned out!

Start another thread about it or link to the thread you already started!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#36]
NICE!  Wow, sometimes draggin' your feet DOES pay off.  

I ordered a 14.7" and 20"…. AND, picked up one of these…. taking into consideration the price of the barrels, you can add one of these receivers for a stupid cheap and fun KISS build:

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j2tpa8enyf00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Freceiver-parts%2Freceivers%2Fupper-receivers%2Far-15-a4-forged-stripped-upper-receiver-black-sku100022974-95432-191727.aspx

Sabre Defense was contracted by Uncle Sam to produce A3/A4 rifles for the Marines/Navy before very "loose" management sunk the company courtesy of the BATFE (this is one of the occasions where I agree that the company screwed the pooch, and Sabre drove it deep).  The inventory of Sabre Defense was liquidated.  Under $60 for a mil-spec A3 type receiver (flat top with no M4 feed ramps)?  No brainer!  

With the provided code, I picked up both barrels and a Sabre receiver for under $320 shipped.  Awesome.

Thanx guys!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm no expert, but my understand is that it will affect accuracy. How much? Someone more schooled than I may be able to answer that.
View Quote
If there is a "tap" into the rifling opposite of the gas port, the diameter will not be any wider than the gas port hole, and obviously not nearly as deep.  How much does the gas port hole affect accuracy?  

But hey, if you skilled are enough to quantify a deviation of accuracy due to the blemish, you are one bad ass dude… I will give props where it is due!
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, I know, lol.  Sorry I didn't take any pictures yet.  I was waiting for a few items that are coming in to complete the upper on that one and then post pictures of both the A1 upper with the DoubleStar 11.5" barrel and pinned and welded AR15Sport faux moderator and another A1 upper with a Brownells 12.7" barrel and a pinned and welded Brownells faux moderator.  The 11.5" barrel finished up at the 16.2" length like I had previously mentioned and the 12.7" barrel ended up a bit longer at 16.7" which is a little longer then I would like but it still turned out nice.  The one using the 11.5" is going to be more of a 607ish build when done while the 12.7" is going to be a XM177E2 type build.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#39]
I am thinking about getting 3 or 4 of the 12.7 barrels and sending them to JT to pin and weld the FH on them.
I went to JT's web site to see what it cost. I didn't find it.
Does anyone know.
I found a phone #, but I don't do phones.

Thanks
ron
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am thinking about getting 3 or 4 of the 12.7 barrels and sending them to JT to pin and weld the FH on them.
I went to JT's web site to see what it cost. I didn't find it.
Does anyone know.
I found a phone #, but I don't do phones.

Thanks
ron
View Quote
I had JT do two xm177 moderator jobs about a year ago.  It was $75 for the moderator/$15 for the grenade ring and $45 to pin/tig weld.  $50 to reparkerize dark grey.  I also had him remove the forge/flash for $35. Prices may be different now.  Send him an email.  His is quick to respond and very professional.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#41]
WELL!, I went ahead and ordered 4 more of the barrels (14.7)
I was going to get the 12.7 barrels, but I decided on the 14.7 barrels.
I will send them off to JT this summer to have them pinned and welded.
I need to dig out some more of the upper receivers for these.

Yep! It is just too hard to pass up on these prices.
I was going to need them later and if I didn't buy them at this price I would be trying to kick myself later.

Happy Days are here again!

Ron
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought one of these to build my first ever AR.  I'm so tempted to go and build another one...A2?...but my wife would kill me with it.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I bought one of these to build my first ever AR.  I'm so tempted to go and build another one...A2?...but my wife would kill me with it.

Steve
View Quote
Well since you have the M16A1 you should probably keep it company with one of the versions of its Vietnam era short barreled brother a XM177.  But an A2 is always nice to have around as well.  Technically an A2 would use a government profile barrel and not an A1 pencil barrel.  But don't let that deter you since my own A2 build uses an A1 pencil barrel because I like them better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If there is a "tap" into the rifling opposite of the gas port, the diameter will not be any wider than the gas port hole, and obviously not nearly as deep.  How much does the gas port hole affect accuracy?  

But hey, if you skilled are enough to quantify a deviation of accuracy due to the blemish, you are one bad ass dude… I will give props where it is due!
View Quote
I contacted Brownells about the effect this would have, and they replied with: "They should have a very minor blemish in the bore opposite the gas port.  After a few rounds have been fired through it, it will have no effect on the performance or function of the barrel."
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Screw it, I went ahead and ordered the 14.7" blem barrel to replace a Numrich 14.5" pin weld Bushmaster Barrel with Izzy Flashider that had a canted Front Sight Tower. With the LDD code, It actually came out cheaper than to risk another order from Numrich.  I called them today to see if I could return it but since it was past the return window, they were going to charge me return shipping and a 15% re-stocking fee. I am just going to take it off and throw it in the spare parts bin for a future build.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Free shipping today only code M6K at check out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Man that's $40 cheaper than I paid for the same blemished barrel!!!

I bought mine back on 4/21!

If only I had waited not even a month!

Steve
View Quote
Check your credit card benefits. I use either Citi or Chase for all of my purchases. One of the benefits is price protection. So if I bought one of these barrels a month ago at $185 and this month, the price drops to $135, all I have to do is get a screen shot of the lower price and put in a claim with the credit card company. Within a week, they either credit my account with a $50 refund or they send me a check for $50. The only places they won't accept for lower prices, is places like eBay.

I bought my M1A and my Range Officer 1911 like that. For the M1A, I found the Loaded Precision Adjustable advertised for something like $1100, but they were out of stock so I couldn't buy from them. No matter, though. I ordered it from grab-a-gun for about $1400, submitted my claim and within a week, had my refund. For my 1911, I bought it at a local gun store for about $175 more than I knew I could get it online. Again, within a week, I had my refund.

Plus, my Citi card gives me 2% cash back (1% when I buy and then 1% when I pay).
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Check your credit card benefits. I use either Citi or Chase for all of my purchases. One of the benefits is price protection. So if I bought one of these barrels a month ago at $185 and this month, the price drops to $135, all I have to do is get a screen shot of the lower price and put in a claim with the credit card company. Within a week, they either credit my account with a $50 refund or they send me a check for $50. The only places they won't accept for lower prices, is places like eBay.

I bought my M1A and my Range Officer 1911 like that. For the M1A, I found the Loaded Precision Adjustable advertised for something like $1100, but they were out of stock so I couldn't buy from them. No matter, though. I ordered it from grab-a-gun for about $1400, submitted my claim and within a week, had my refund. For my 1911, I bought it at a local gun store for about $175 more than I knew I could get it online. Again, within a week, I had my refund.
View Quote
Holy crap, dude, you just saved me $35!  I have never even thought about this benefit!  I just filed my claim.  Now to see if it works without hassle!

Steve
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#49]
That money back on credit cards I call funny money.
Where it comes from I don't know.

Amex give me 5% back which I use on amazon every few months.

Gm gives a varied amount on their card. For twenty years I built credit up.
They sent me a letter saying I can use it all instead of the new 2500 per vehicle limit.
Boom. Free new z71. Could not get to the dealership fast enough.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That money back on credit cards I call funny money.
Where it comes from I don't know.

Amex give me 5% back which I use on amazon every few months.

Gm gives a varied amount on their card. For twenty years I built credit up.
They sent me a letter saying I can use it all instead of the new 2500 per vehicle limit.
Boom. Free new z71. Could not get to the dealership fast enough.
View Quote
That. Is. Awesome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top