Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/16/2017 7:34:54 AM EDT
I got this stock set from Royal Tiger Imports, I think.  The front stock was in great shape, but the butt was pretty rough.  I ordered a new butt plate, and I used a dremel to open up the cracks and filled them with JB Weld.

I painted it last night but no pics of that yet.

http://imgur.com/a/L9qEQ

Steve
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Lets make this trapdoor stock Great Again!!!

There is nothing like making something new again.
Ive got a few to repair myself.

you need to get some graphite black Ceracoat  (air dry) or matte black alumnahyde and cover it up now.

those  colors match the new matte furniture
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Those look like good solid repairs, good job!
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Good job!  You are saving another one!
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lets make this trapdoor stock Great Again!!!

There is nothing like making something new again.
Ive got a few to repair myself.

you need to get some graphite black Ceracoat  (air dry) or matte black alumnahyde and cover it up now.

those  colors match the new matte furniture
View Quote
Do you even T_D JHud?

JB Weld! Gunsmithing made easy!

There's not much that stuff CAN'T fix!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Type E stock, which has a crack. It came with a parts kit that I bought a few years ago. When I got it, I emailed the retailer (Sportsmansguide), and they sent me another stock in its place. But they didn't want the cracked one back. So I still have it. With the crack (pictured below), what is it worth? I might sell it and put the money toward my Type D that I'm going to get.

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You can see how my stock turned out painted here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/713596_My-first-AR-build-is-all-done-.html

Steve
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice repair. I wonder if the crack will still grow after use? When I wanted to stop a crack in metal I would drill a small hole at the very end,to end the fracture. This might also work on stocks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#8]
The dremel is enough to stop cracks and you will see a full life afterwards. Blemished or repaint, but its soild
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice repair. I wonder if the crack will still grow after use? When I wanted to stop a crack in metal I would drill a small hole at the very end,to end the fracture. This might also work on stocks.
View Quote
I made sure to carve away material past the end of the crack.  I didn't drill all the way into the stock because I didn't want JB Weld to ooze into the buffer tube channel where it could be hard to remove.

I don't know how well this will hold up - this is my first ever AR and of course my first retro style AR using original hardware.  But I just do normal range shooting and won't be dragging it around the jungle like it did in its past life!

Steve
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Type E stock, which has a crack. It came with a parts kit that I bought a few years ago. When I got it, I emailed the retailer (Sportsmansguide), and they sent me another stock in its place. But they didn't want the cracked one back. So I still have it. With the crack (pictured below), what is it worth? I might sell it and put the money toward my Type D that I'm going to get.
View Quote
It's not worth too much since a type "E" buttstock in good shape can still be found for a pretty decent price.  Someday when they are all dried up like some other items it may be worth a little more but right now it probably isn't worth the effort it would take to sell it.  Personally I like the type "E" the best and I tend to use them a little more then the type "D" which most other people prefer.  A type "D" is generally more appropriate for a build using a 3-prong flash hider and they are a little more comfortable when shooting but I like having the storage along with a little better balance when carrying with the handle.  I have a bunch of both type "D" and "E" buttstocks for future builds and spares for the ones already in use so it probably wouldn't be a bad thing to hold onto in case you need it someday.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top