BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2017 8:00:31 PM EDT
HI ! i have just purchased a Colt AR15 xm177e2 lower receiver , just a receiver , serial is : 9067xx , it is marked

1) colt horse logo , at the right "COLT AR -15"
2) property of the u.s. govt
3) cal 5.56
4) serial 9067XX

i would like to complete it , using just the real parts , no compromise ....all i have is the lower with internals , that`s it ......

any links where i can get them to complete my baby ?

btw: was the rifling 1:7 or 1:12 ? being 5.56 , i guess it would be 1:7 ......but not sure ....

thank you very much in advance !!

Richard
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Retro Black Rifle - XM177E2

Original parts are going to be very hard to come by and expensive when you can find them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#2]
any sources ??
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it a register receiver?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the forum, and great first post!
How hard-to-find are original lowers in Argentina?

The parts are not available from any regular places, but keeping a regular eye on the Equipment Exchange here is a start, and Gunbroker.
You can also post Want-to-Buy posts on every gun board you belong to.

It'll take a while...but is a worthwhile pursuit!

Please post pics of your lower.  We LOVE old rollmarks!

ETA:  1-12 twist. 
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
To add some specific info, the hardest pieces to find will be the barrel and moderator.  It's easy to replicate these, but if you're determined to go all-original parts, you may be hunting for a while.
In the US, the moderator is (stupidly) classified as a suppressor, so we need a $200 tax stamp and permission of our benevolent overlords to own one even if we can find one.
I'd be curious to know if it's easier for you to find one outside the US.

The aluminum stock is still fairly easy to find, although not cheap, and most of the other pieces are relatively easy to come by.  (Not "easy"...relatively easy.)

It'll be a fun project!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:42:23 AM EDT
[#6]
it is registered as a rifle , but i have just got the lower , maybe it was cannibalized for whatever reason , i don`t know .

i have no intentions to get the moderator , a replica will do just fine .

how about a bbl ? 1:7 ? 1:12 ?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#7]
1:12
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#8]
How difficult will ITAR make it to get any parts shipped from the US to Argentina?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#9]
As far as i know , no main parts are allowed to leave through postal service  (bbl , bolt , carrier upper lower) no problem about the other parts if they don`t exceed the usd 100 value .

i can get the bbl , bolt and carrier locally , my main concern is about cosmetic correct parts ,since  it is going to be a display gun at a private museum most of it`s time and i want it to look 100% correct .....    

i have been checking some euro sites and looks like i can get the correct upper , carrier and grip from there ....they are not restricted at all .
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as i know , no main parts are allowed to leave through postal service  (bbl , bolt , carrier upper lower) no problem about the other parts if they don`t exceed the usd 100 value .

i can get the bbl , bolt and carrier locally , my main concern is about cosmetic correct parts ,since  it is going to be a display gun at a private museum most of it`s time and i want it to look 100% correct .....    

i have been checking some euro sites and looks like i can get the correct upper , carrier and grip from there ....they are not restricted at all .
View Quote
Man, there ain't much in retro-world that doesn't exceed the USD 100 value! 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]
found upper , carrier , cocking handle  and grip in Europe today !!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
cognard,

Welcome to the sickness that is RBRD. Personally, you might wish to consider using some parts that will keep your rifle modern as tomorrow: 1:7 barrel to use most any type of ammo, repro moderator (look on gunbroker, since they can be had for under $100.00). The vinyl acetate butt stock will GREATLY exceed the $100.00 limit, so you might wish to consider an aluminum repro that has been anodized a glossy black. Many of the other required parts (two position receiver extension notably) are also high price items.

Best of luck to you in your search.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
found upper , carrier , cocking handle  and grip in Europe today !!!
View Quote
Very cool.  I would love to know how the European and South American markets compare to our little retro market here in the States--both in terms of what's available and what kind of prices they bring.  I am guessing we have more parts here, but the retro market is probably bigger here, too.

I'm glad you were able to find things where you can import them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#14]
have you got a source for a vinyl acetate stock ?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#15]
The EE, or GunBroker.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately, an original stock will likely run you $300-400, so it's over the $100 limit.  Also, they vary greatly in condition since the vinyl acetate tends to chip or peel in spots.

On the other hand, if you're willing to use a reproduction that's not too far off, the Tony's aluminum stock is right around $100.
Others here can tell you what they've done to make a repro look even closer to original (multiple coats of alumahyde, I believe, or powder coating?).
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're lower is the "real deal" it will be full auto.  You will need to get a FA fire control group which will contain the FA hammer and sear.  You may be able to find these in Europe since I'm sure you won't be able to obtain them here legally for shipment to you.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#18]
nop
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#19]
it already has the guts inside except for the sear ....
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#20]
i think powder coating (2 layers) is going to replicate the og finish
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#21]
is Tony`s stock the 2 position version ?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#22]
is this grip correct for my xm177 ??

http://dekowaffen-tuerk.com/WebShopDekoWa/product_info.php?info=p201_grip-m16a1.html
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
is this grip correct for my xm177 ??

http://dekowaffen-tuerk.com/WebShopDekoWa/product_info.php?info=p201_grip-m16a1.html
View Quote
Yes, it is.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Well , i have got ahold of the lower on fri , unfortunately it was painted flat black , got the upper also , it is medium gray , a colt one

could anybody tell me what the original finish was ? paint ?' anodizing ?

i thought about beadblasting both pieces and duracoat them colt gray ......

otherwise , who could anodize the parts medium gray like the real ones ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well , i have got ahold of the lower on fri , unfortunately it was painted flat black , got the upper also , it is medium gray , a colt one

could anybody tell me what the original finish was ? paint ?' anodizing ?

i thought about beadblasting both pieces and duracoat them colt gray ......

otherwise , who could anodize the parts medium gray like the real ones ?
View Quote
The original finish was charcoal grey anodizing, and I would attempt to strip the paint first.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The original finish was charcoal grey anodizing, and I would attempt to strip the paint first.
View Quote
i cannot use paint remover , right ?? i believe it would also damage the anodizing behind the paint .
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#27]
EDIT: I just noticed the location, are you actually outside of the US?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

i cannot use paint remover , right ?? i believe it would also damage the anodizing behind the paint .
View Quote
Paint thinner won't do anything to the anodizing. It'll "dry it out" though (pull all of the oils out of it).
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
EDIT: I just noticed the location, are you actually outside of the US?
View Quote
yes i am , why ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

yes i am , why ?
View Quote
My knowledge of suppliers and businesses is strictly US, sorry.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My knowledge of suppliers and businesses is strictly US, sorry.
View Quote
what is the problem to share your supplier`s info ? maybe they can give me some useful info .....it is just an AR15 ....
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

what is the problem to share your supplier`s info ? maybe they can give me some useful info .....it is just an AR15 ....
View Quote
Due to our laws, you can't ship a lot of stuff back and forth, you wont be able to ship an MG lower into the US for anodizing.

In the US it's "once an MG, always an MG".
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Due to our laws, you can't ship a lot of stuff back and forth, you wont be able to ship an MG lower into the US for anodizing.

In the US it's "once an MG, always an MG".
View Quote
i know that , but i am not intending to ship anything at all , maybe your supplier could share some info on how to make it and where to get the correct anodizing dyes .....i have some sources here , but without the correct color ......
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Btw. i have tried to remove paint spraying the receiver with duracoat degreaser , nothing happened , then degreaser plus steel wool ....nothing happened either .....finish is still matte black with some small gray spots from behind at the mag well area .....

i will take it to the anodizing shop to find out if it`s hard anodizing or what .....
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#35]
You might try acetone to remove the paint.  I have a 604 upper that I intend to use for a GAU-5-A/A project that had a thick coating of black spray paint over a very nice original finish below.  I soaked it in a can of acetone for days and occasionally removed it to wipe the softened paint off with a rag.  The paint on mine was very tough and is still in some protected areas I'm working on with a Q-tip.  But the acetone eventually works and has no effect on the grey anodizing dyes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You might try acetone to remove the paint.  I have a 604 upper that I intend to use for a GAU-5-A/A project that had a thick coating of black spray paint over a very nice original finish below.  I soaked it in a can of acetone for days and occasionally removed it to wipe the softened paint off with a rag.  The paint on mine was very tough and is still in some protected areas I'm working on with a Q-tip.  But the acetone eventually works and has no effect on the grey anodizing dyes.
View Quote
i don`t think it will be better than the duracoat degreaser , but i will give it a try ......
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

i don`t think it will be better than the duracoat degreaser , but i will give it a try ......
View Quote
Paint stripper works WAY better than acetone, and will not affect the anodizing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Paint stripper works WAY better than acetone, and will not affect the anodizing.
View Quote
ok, i will ask the anodizing company before doing something wrong , in the men time , anybody could direct me to any anodizing shop that performs that gray finish ?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Hi Guys ! i have got a supp flash hider from a friend yesterday . looked inside and i have found 28 holes inside , 7 per line , the item looks genuine , but i can`t find any inscriptions on it

were all supp/ flashhiders  came engraved ? or only those sold to civilians ?

i can post some pics , any idea on how to do it ?  

thank you !
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hi Guys ! i have got a supp flash hider from a friend yesterday . looked inside and i have found 28 holes inside , 7 per line , the item looks genuine , but i can`t find any inscriptions on it

were all supp/ flashhiders  came engraved ? or only those sold to civilians ?

i can post some pics , any idea on how to do it ?  

thank you !
View Quote
I recall seeing somewhere that only the earlier moderators were marked with Colt's info.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I recall seeing somewhere that only the earlier moderators were marked with Colt's info.
View Quote
this one came with no markings at all , factory finish , doesn`t look like a backyard made unit .....
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

this one came with no markings at all , factory finish , doesn`t look like a backyard made unit .....
View Quote
You should be able to upload pictures to someplace like Photobucket, then post the links here.

If you have trouble, send me a PM and you can email them to me and I'll post them for you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
You have it backwards.  The early ones were only considered to be glorified flash hiders, so they did not have any markings on them.  Later, once they were considered NFA items, they were marked.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You have it backwards.  The early ones were only considered to be glorified flash hiders, so they did not have any markings on them.  Later, once they were considered NFA items, they were marked.
View Quote
You're right. I flipped it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You should be able to upload pictures to someplace like Photobucket, then post the links here.

If you have trouble, send me a PM and you can email them to me and I'll post them for you.
View Quote
pm me your email , i will send you some pics.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#46]
sorry guys , another silly question .....what is the original , correct bbl lenght of the xm177e2 ?  

thank you !
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
sorry guys , another silly question .....what is the original , correct bbl lenght of the xm177e2 ?  

thank you !
View Quote
E2 barrel is 11.5 inches.

The earlier E1 was 10.5 inches.

Both in 1/12 twist.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#48]
thank you for the fast answer !!

btw: is the bbl after the front sight perfectly cilyndrical ? could a longer bbl be chopped and still look original ?   any source for it ?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

E2 barrel is 11.5 inches.

The earlier E1 was 10.5 inches.

Both in 1/12 twist.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
thank you for the fast answer !!

btw: is the bbl after the front sight perfectly cilyndrical ? could a longer bbl be chopped and still look original ?   any source for it ?
View Quote
Yes, the barrel should be cylindrical.

You could have a longer barrel cut down, but it needs to be a carbine length gas system and pencil (lightweight) profile. A rifle barrel  or m4 barrel wouldn't work.

For my XM177E2 build, I had a 16 inch Colt SP1 Carbine barrel cut down.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top