Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2017 11:24:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Sorry to have to yell at the internet, but have received a few emails from people that still do not understand that all we do is supply forgings to Brownells.

We have absolutely nothing to do with the production of their parts.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Without you they wouldn't have production so you kinda have something to do with it
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi, thank you for the great work you have been doing making the uppers and lowers for brownells.

Now I've been having a problem with my ARstoner model McCheapskate build and was hoping....
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
"Designed in conjunction with Nodak Spud"  this is on there add for the A1 uppers.

I wonder why people think you make them.......
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]
free advertising.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The parts clearly have the NDS forge mark on them.

Many, if not a majority of consumers do not understand the difference between forging and finish machining. Vendors perpetuate the myth with how they use the term "forged" in describing products.

Maybe it would be best if the forgings you supply them had a different forge mark.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Many, if not a majority of consumers do not understand the difference between forging and finish machining.

Maybe it would be best if the forgings you supply them had a different forge mark.
View Quote
Nearly every single upper receiver made has a forge code of some type or another on it. Some manufacturers have a forge code to indicate that it is theirs and it is in conjunction with the forging company's code. I do not see that Nodak Spud needs to change or delete their forge code unless Brownells requests it. Brownells can always have a manufacturer code added to the upper receiver. Most everyone who has been around since Brownells started selling A1 upper and lower receivers knows that Nodak Spud only supplies the forgings and not finished products. Anyone looking to buy these receivers from Brownells should be aware of this. They should not assume that Nodak Spud machines these receivers regardless of the forge code. They need to understand what a forge code is and what it means. It is all about education and understanding. Mike and Harlan are not responsible for making sure that people understand what they are buying and who manufactured it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I've lurked on and off for a couple of years, and just joined today. So I've missed any threads that spoke of the issues with the Brownells receivers. I have, of course seen them on their site, and have considered purchasing one of their uppers... and would already have done so if they weren't anodized black.

All of that said, what issues have popped up?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw a " NoDak" made Brownells A1 lower on Gunbroker a while back and they was asking some crazy price for it. It was from dealer to. I think they where trying to get more money out of a Brownells lower / ripping people off..... If I find it I will link it to here
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't like the cut on the front lugs of the finished Brownells A1 lowers. looks too much like an A2 cut. too much of a curve still visible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Any idea when you will have more NDS-15 lowers and prototype uppers available?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Really happy with the XM16E1 80% lowers I got from you guys a few weeks ago.  Don't think I'm ever going to reprofile another A2 lower myself.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Now I've been having a problem with my ARstoner model McCheapskate build and was hoping....
View Quote
That almost warrants a Luther and the Car door.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbga181nm84
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I heard Brownells refused to let NDS machine the uppers after that whole carry handle debacle with the first batch..............

All joking aside, please keep turning out the excellent products Mike and Harlan!
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Many, if not a majority of consumers do not understand the difference between forging and finish machining. Vendors perpetuate the myth with how they use the term "forged" in describing products.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This

Quoted:

Nearly every single upper receiver made has a forge code of some type or another on it. Some manufacturers have a forge code to indicate that it is theirs and it is in conjunction with the forging company's code. I do not see that Nodak Spud needs to change or delete their forge code unless Brownells requests it. Brownells can always have a manufacturer code added to the upper receiver. Most everyone who has been around since Brownells started selling A1 upper and lower receivers knows that Nodak Spud only supplies the forgings and not finished products. Anyone looking to buy these receivers from Brownells should be aware of this. They should not assume that Nodak Spud machines these receivers regardless of the forge code. They need to understand what a forge code is and what it means. It is all about education and understanding. Mike and Harlan are not responsible for making sure that people understand what they are buying and who manufactured it.
Apparently there are enough that believe they're Nodak uppers sold by Brownells. Otherwise Mike wouldn't have posted this.

Just mill off the forge mark before you give them to Brownells if you don't want the confusion/full retard. Mark them some other way maybe? Like on a lug or something?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#23]
So you're saying this isn't the fault of NDS, and you guys had nothing to do with all those early M16 rifles failing in Vietnam? 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So you're saying this isn't the fault of NDS, and you guys had nothing to do with all those early M16 rifles failing in Vietnam? 
View Quote
Everyone knows that was Mattel's fault.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#25]
So just to summarize here, from my understanding of reading all of this thread.......you all ARE making the Brownell's parts?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#27]
So i can just get NDS uppers from Brownells. This is excellent news.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey. Just bc you didn't make them doesn't mean we can't give you shit about them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks good to me!

**THE TEXT ABOVE HAS NEVER APPEARED ON THE BROWNELLS SITE
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks good to me!

https://image.ibb.co/g38wqk/brownells.jpg

View Quote
Hahaha!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks good to me!

https://image.ibb.co/g38wqk/brownells.jpg

View Quote
HILL-FREAKIN'-LARIOUS!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I will tea-bag everything I send to you guys from now on.  
View Quote
Will it still be tea-bagged if I order it from Brownells?  
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
That gives a whole new meaning to "battlefield pick-up".
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOVE IT!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#36]
This seems like an extremely informal place to address a perceived issue with a product.

I would have thought that the president would have kept the announcement of such a plausible oversight on a much more professional level.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought that's what all the "blems" were?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#39]
From now on, I am referring to the proper color for a retro Colt as "tea-bag grey".
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This seems like an extremely informal place to address a perceived issue with a product.

I would have thought that the president would have kept the announcement of such a plausible oversight on a much more professional level.
View Quote
Hahahaha.

Fun hater.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
The (co?) President  of a company named after a State and a Potato?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The (co?) President  of a company named after a State and a Potato?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I wonder if they finish them in house.  I bought one of the blem lowers back in the fall and it had "Fire/Safe" on the right side... so if it came from an A1 forging or someone did more worked than they needed  My suspicion is that rather than it being a mistake it actually started as an A2 style forging that was machined to look like an A1.  Serial is a few digits lower than the ones shown at SHOT show 2016 too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#45]
You may want to cross post this in the Mk12 and Mk18 threads, some folks over there think you do machine the lowers for Brownells.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Are earl grey tea bag Blem lowers in stock and ready to ship?

I'll take two.

O and I need a 605 upper too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:43:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are earl grey tea bag Blem lowers in stock and ready to ship?

I'll take two.

O and I need a 605 upper too.
View Quote
Only the ones that they manufacture for Brownells...
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
"That guy."
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Since Brownells is here now, have you guys considered machining your retro lowers to a partial fence or a 601 profile?  Also, have you considered finishing them and your retro uppers in tea-bag grey instead of black?  Or offering them in the white so people can match whatever variation of grey/black they need for their build?

Quoted:Mike, please do not place your personal "signature" on any products shipped to Brownells.
View Quote
Does the presence of a stray hair count as a "blem"?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top