User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The marines decided to adopt the Stoner 63 with changes that were to become the 63A1. The reason it did not go forth was because the army did procurement for the marines and politics got involved as well as other factors. The SEALs used the guns extensively in Vietnam as well as the marines in early testing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything new to report?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Today ended up more a social visit/lunch with my friend.  I brought some rare Irish whiskey that I found in Dublin last year and scored scored some Fuller's Vintage Ale direct from England.  Buying an ultrasonic cleaner tomorrow to immerse some of my demil parts in. If that doesn't work I'll try something with electricity and washing soda and wires involving molecular structures and other things that my primitive mind couldn't possibly comprehend.  And if that doesn't work, I'll buy some more demil parts. Last ditch is making them. As I get more original parts, the more determined I am to try to use all original parts in the project (even if a couple look like ass...and not in a good way...as some Stoners I have seen are somewhat sloppy with welds/rewelds....so I'll fit right in). Waiting to hear back from about a half dozen people who have parts I need. As my friend is now out of the country for a couple months, I'll spend the time cleaning the part that I have, waiting for parts to come through, goto the beach, work on my bar, and maybe my motorcycles.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Not mine and I don't know the seller but for those of you that are on the great Stoner 63 parts chase.......

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/658221228
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Found a populated 63A trigger housing and a complete rear sight assembly. Should have in hand first week in August. When I take and post update photos of them, I'll make a new post with a new title and a link to this one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
OST
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Trigger housing and rear sight assembly arrived safely. They fit okay on my receiver. Just a few more parts to go.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Pics man, pics.  

No problem I'm sure you are busy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I was able to post one to the other Stoner related thread. Having posting issues.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]
. Yay :)
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I just finished a book about the Seals and there was mention of the Stoners. I think it's ironic that Fairchild created Armalite to take advantage of aircraft materials and construction techniques for use in small arms. The AR7 and the AR10 were the main focus with the AR15 an offshoot of the AR10 program due to Army interest in super high velocity cartridges. After the AR15 did Eugene Stoner create anymore aluminum framed firearms ? I think the AR18/180 and the Cadillac Gage Stoners were the end of the line and they were mainly steel stampings with no alloy iirc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#13]
The AR18 and Stoner 63 series were pitched as easy to manufacture by lesser developed countries with limited manufacturing capabilities (much like the AKM series). Sheet metal, some small castings and stuff turned on lathes, etc.  By that stage in the game, it was about licensing other companies/counties to manufacture the guns.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Its interesting in how the gun manufacturing technology has shifted gun design. Now stamped designs are considered much harder to make than the CNC machined receivers like the AR15/M16. Tooling cost are much cheaper for the AR15/M16 and less dedicated.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Computers have made everything so much easier :)
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked up an op rod and bolt carrier today... and a barrel latch. I needed the barrel latch.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Extension is free from the trunnion and the barrel stub is free from the extension. I now have a trunnion. Waiting for a complete gas tube to arrive this or next week and I have all the parts needed to start the build.  Need to find a photo hosting site besides photobucket or tiny pic. They dont work for me and I'm still trying to figure out imgur.http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=18377

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=18379
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the links in my above post go directly to photos of my progress.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the links in my above post go directly to photos of my progress.
View Quote
Maybe for you, but for the rest of us it says "You do not have permission for that" or "Sorry, but we couldn't find that".
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry. I guess one has to sign in at Machinegunboards.com. I'll work on finding a way to post photos hassle free.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Hows the project going?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Hurricane prep and digging out, as well as life in general, have taken up the entire last 3 weeks. Yesterday I did dig out a folding Polish AK stock and fit it to a DGS M96 folding stock adapter thingy that a buddy sent me. Turns out I will have a folding stock carbine after all. I can't post photos because both me and my smart phone are really, really dumb.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Haven't been able to do much lately, but I did stick some pieces together just to see what it looks like so far. Have about 20 parts to prep, then we can start welding stuff.

Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Very Nice.  So jealous.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top