BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2017 5:08:24 PM EDT
Colt SP1 upper reciever
BA lower reciever
Faxon Firearms 20" Gunner barrel
M16 original stock (fucking thing was pricey but looks damn near new)
M16A1 handguard (also look new)
M16A1 pistol grip (looks like shit but should clean up)
.625 A2 standard FSB
.625 end plate
3 prong A1 flash hider w/split ring
Toolcraft 1B1B6 BCG

I got the rifle gas tube off to the side so now I just need the buffer assembly, delta ring assembly minus barrel nut and LPK...and send the barrel out to have the FSB pinned.
Really shocked almost at how good some of the parts looked not being new. AR15sport.com may not be the cheapest, but when they say "good" condition, that an understatement!

I'm really excited to get this thing together and shoot it!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great use of a Gunner barrel. Thanks for posting!
View Quote
Well after seeing how exceptionally well the 14.5" I ordered from you guys shot Federal XM193 I knew I had to make this one a Faxon as well. Eventually I'll do a A2 since I got the receivers for it too. Have you considered offing pinned FSB as an option?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks awesome man! Are those handguards and stock NIW?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
New in Wrapper? If you're asking if they're new old stock, they weren't listed that way. I apparently ordered the last set of hand guards as after I ordered them and refreshed the page they were no longer listed as in stock. (according to their page if the "buy" button is there, they're in stock).

www.ar15sport.com was the vendor.

Any advice on what to clean the pistol grip with? It came from a different vendor and was listed as "serviceable" the texture is good, but it's been beat to hell and looks like dirt spots on it that look nearly impregnated into all the little dents?

Thinking about swapping out the lower recievers with the one on my carbine which is a Anderson, just because it has the "safe" and "Fire" vs stupid pictographs (I hate them)
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Oldarmy,

That's shaping up to be a nice looking 604-ish retro.
I love the non-clone "retro" builds. You get an ar15 that looks and operates like an ar15 should, and you don't have to break the bank searching out rare parts.

Quoted:
View Quote
ar15sport.com packages everything they sell like that. Each part gets individually sealed in a plastic bag before being sent out.
They are a class act and a pleasure to do business with.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:17:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oldarmy,

That's shaping up to be a nice looking 604-ish retro.
I love the non-clone "retro" builds. You get an ar15 that looks and operates like an ar15 should, and you don't have to break the bank searching out rare parts.

ar15sport.com packages everything they sell like that. Each part gets individually sealed in a plastic bag before being sent out.
They are a class act and a pleasure to do business with.
View Quote
I'm also building a retro but non-clone build. NDS-601 lower, slickside upper (from Fulton), VooDoo 16.5" rifle gassed barrel, 3 prong, A1 handguards/grip, 607 stock. I wanted to get as close as I could to modern functionality in a package that looks decidedly retro.

Regarding the barrel, I saw someone ask on M4C and Faxon said that WarMachine LLC will pin an FSB on. I looked and it's $65 including a complete FSB. That seems reasonable to me, much easier (and likely cheaper) than buying a barrel and shipping it out to have an FSB pinned on. Their prices on the barrels themselves are better than most places too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm also building a retro but non-clone build. NDS-601 lower, slickside upper (from Fulton), VooDoo 16.5" rifle gassed barrel, 3 prong, A1 handguards/grip, 607 stock. I wanted to get as close as I could to modern functionality in a package that looks decidedly retro.

Regarding the barrel, I saw someone ask on M4C and Faxon said that WarMachine LLC will pin an FSB on. I looked and it's $65 including a complete FSB. That seems reasonable to me, much easier (and likely cheaper) than buying a barrel and shipping it out to have an FSB pinned on. Their prices on the barrels themselves are better than most places too.
View Quote
Well sob... I'll bookmark that site as I just went there and priced out a 20" Gunner with FSB, end plate and Delta ring for $285... would have defiantly saved money that route and already had what I was after.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any advice on what to clean the pistol grip with? It came from a different vendor and was listed as "serviceable" the texture is good, but it's been beat to hell and looks like dirt spots on it that look nearly impregnated into all the little dents?
View Quote
Can you post a picture? It sounds like you've got a mottled grip in which case, that isn't dirt, it's just the way the grip is made, especially if the checkering is still sharp.

I have 2 that are brand new and look like a frozen oreo milkshake. Only way to "fix" that would be to paint it, but you could probably find a retrohead that would gladly trade you for a black one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can you post a picture? It sounds like you've got a mottled grip in which case, that isn't dirt, it's just the way the grip is made, especially if the checkering is still sharp.

I have 2 that are brand new and look like a frozen oreo milkshake. Only way to "fix" that would be to paint it, but you could probably find a retrohead that would gladly trade you for a black one.
View Quote
It's in the original picture. The checkering has somewhat blunted points. I can't decide if I like it more or the new A2 grip I was given.

The A2 has more grip, and I don't mind it. But doesn't look right to me on the rifle....seeing as it's a more A1 inspired rifle. I will proba my just use it unless I find a nicer looking one down the road.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#10]
AR15sports.com

when I try to go to the above web site I am getting a realtor web site or something.  Is this the correct URL?

Steve
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AR15sports.com

when I try to go to the above web site I am getting a realtor web site or something.  Is this the correct URL?

Steve
View Quote
ar15sport.com

Sport as in singular.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ar15sport.com

Sport as in singular.
View Quote
That's probably my bad, I didn't notice in the original post I had added the s.

Ordered the LPK the other day, so now I just need the front sight pieces, delta ring assembly and buffer assembly...and send off the barrel to be pinned. I'll post another thread once it's done and I shoot a group with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice rifle!

When you say it is "retro" but not a "clone", do you mean to say that it is made in a retro style without trying to be exactly like any particular older model rifle?

Rob
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice rifle!

When you say it is "retro" but not a "clone", do you mean to say that it is made in a retro style without trying to be exactly like any particular older model rifle?

Rob
View Quote
Pretty much.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's in the original picture. The checkering has somewhat blunted points. I can't decide if I like it more or the new A2 grip I was given.

The A2 has more grip, and I don't mind it. But doesn't look right to me on the rifle....seeing as it's a more A1 inspired rifle. I will proba my just use it unless I find a nicer looking one down the road.
View Quote
From that picture, it looks like a normal, mottled A1 grip. Just the nature of that particular beast. Some are solid black, some look like that. Like I said, if you don't like the color you could either paint it or offer it up for a trade.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Well, now all I need is the FSB pinned and I can do the final assembly. Well.. and a plain ol barrel wrench, I think i'll just drop by the local gun smiths shop and ask to use his for 5 seconds and throw him a $5 bill or something if he's cool with that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Shit, I just realized I'm missing the front sling swivel and pin.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]
So a buddy of mine has a lathe, and I'm thinking about doing the pinning myself. Biggest question at this point is do the taper pins go in with the taper on the same side or opposite? (Say one in the front one way and the rear the other?) I have seen people install them with the taper having been reamed out for both on the same side and installed that way, I just wondered if that's actually correct?

I'm going to chuck the barrel in the lathe and use the cutting tool (without it spinning obviously) to mark center from the reciever extension pin and ensure it lines up with the gas port etc. mark center on it all and then I can do the drilling with one of the real drill press's at work, by real I mean industrial. I figure once it's all lined up and clamped in place not using a mill shouldn't make shit difference. I have a #31 drill bit, I just need to order the 2/0 straight flute taper reamer and taper pins.

And then hopefully I can enjoy the sanctification of having done it myself.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Biggest question at this point is do the taper pins go in with the taper on the same side or opposite? (Say one in the front one way and the rear the other?) I have seen people install them with the taper having been reamed out for both on the same side and installed that way, I just wondered if that's actually correct?
View Quote
Same side, going from right to left if you were looking down the bore (big holes on the right side, little holes on the left).
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Same side.  Generally true milspec was both taper pins installed from right to left.  Seen many vendors deviate from this but both taper pins bigger from right to smaller on left is more correct than not.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys.

Damn impressive library of gun knowledge here at Arfcom.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#22]
UGH, still waiting on my friend to put his lathe back togeather! I ordered all the stuff to install the FSB myself, but then he took his lathe apart to fix a gear and hasn't put it back together yet.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top