Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2017 2:20:50 PM EDT
For all you guys out there looking for original furniture for your Robinson Arms M96s, look no further.  I decided to take the gamble and buy both an Air Soft Pistol Grip and Butt stock.  At $125 ish it's a helluva lot cheaper than Stoner originals, IF, you can ever find them, and the Rob Arms stuff is equally difficult to find as original Stoners.  

So, heres my finished product with the new AirSoft furniture.  I couldn't be much happier.  They turned out great.  Butt stock bracket is Glued onto the plastic stock so I couldn't just swap out the brackets.  You’ll need to remove apx.  40 thousands from each side.  Metal is only aluminum so not very difficult, especially if you know a machinist.  I used some Aluma Black to cover the now shiny milled bracket.  I had a little trouble getting the pin hole to line up but eventually it worked.  Before I pinned the stock on, I used a can of spray foam and added a metal rod into the stock.  Seemed too hollow and cheap.  It worked well.  

Next came the pistol grip.  Much Much more work.  They must have used the outside width of the real one for the inside on this one because its way too wide.  But…with some sandpaper, a file/rasp, & steel wool…..and a LOT of patience, I was able to make it look pretty good.  All I did was where the grip was flared outward when new, I worked it inward to meet up with the receiver a bit better.  Not as good as a real one, but I am very happy with it and If I didnt tell you, I doubt you’d know, unless you own a real one.  There is also a notch on the front of the grip. I had an old black plastic ruler that I cut up and used as fill.  Once the epoxy dried, I shaped it to better follow the profile.  If there are any gaps, fill them with model putty or auto body filler.  Once that was dried and sanded I used a a fat tip Sharpie marker to color the red putty that remained, let it dry then gave it a quick wipe with some Denatured alcohol.  I used a Dremel tool on the inside back of the grip where there was a half round rib, with a brass fitting for the original trap door these come with.  After re-rounding the insides it was sanded smooth.
I used progressively finer and finer sand paper over the entire grip, being very careful to avoid the checkering, to clean the grip back up.  My goal was not to have to paint the grip if I didnt have to.  After polishing it with 00000 steel wool, I used some red auto polishing compound then some Turtle wax.  The grip shined right up almost as good as the shine on it when it was new.  The grip installs fine with the original RobArms screw.  

What a difference these two parts make in having the M96 look like the M63 Stoner.

Heres the links again for ordering both parts:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/g-p-us-navy-mk23-aeg-pistol-grip.html#.WLZPwC6yodc
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/g-p-us-navy-mk23-aeg-stock.html#.WLZPyS6yodc Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Butt stock has correct pad AND has the Stoner 63 marking on it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Correct Width sling loop, Parkerized.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Pistol Grip.  FINALLY I have the checkering!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I added an M60 bi pod some time ago.  Just like the way it looks.

Attachment Attached File

DO NOT HESITATE to buy these if you're in need of or want parts for your M96.  They sell other parts as well but these are the only ones I have played with.  Now to find a drum that looks the part and fits!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Just pulled up some pics of the original for comparison. You are right without owning one there is no way I could tell the difference. Great work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow that thing looks awesome.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Great work Mark. Where did you get the little bracket that's on the gas tube?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great work Mark. Where did you get the little bracket that's on the gas tube?
View Quote
I have a buddy that gets de mil parts from time to time.  I also have the majority of a trigger Ive considered adding to it.  That Stoner trigger is a real give away.  That may be next? Im also wondering if the Stoner front sight assembly may work on the M96?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a place on the net that shows pictures of a stonerized M96, has a stoner folding stock and front sight on it. Website is aftermathgunclub.com You'd have to use the old style gas system to get it to work they did. Have you seen your thread over on the M14forum--I posted pictures of my top feed with the Stoner 63 bipod I got from Mongo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I have Robinson in my safe and every time I think about it I get pissed off how Robinson abandoned buyers.

I don't mind that the belt fed conversion never happened, probably would have been more than I would want to pay anyway.

Don't mind the Bren conversion is pretty rare, don't care for it anyway.

What I do want is spare parts.

I would love to be able to switch mine to a shorter barrel.

Screw you Robinson!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have Robinson in my safe and every time I think about it I get pissed off how Robinson abandoned buyers.

I don't mind that the belt fed conversion never happened, probably would have been more than I would want to pay anyway.

Don't mind the Bren conversion is pretty rare, don't care for it anyway.

What I do want is spare parts.

I would love to be able to switch mine to a shorter barrel.

Screw you Robinson!
View Quote
Well said Banshee35.  Although mine is used Im afraid to fire it.  It already broke once when I did fire it.  Im content, for now, to use it like a Christmas tree and slowly take it to as close as I can to the Stoner.  I have a real Stoner trigger that would look great on the 96.  Maybe I'll have that done next?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#12]
One of the things I always hated was the way Robinson did the gas block and front site on bot the rifle/carbine and the "bren" set up. The squared blocky shit just makes it look like some hack put it together in the garage. The magazine well being so long also drives me nuts when I see it being so long sticking out. I always wondered if it could be cut down and still work but with no parts support it would be a dumb to ruin a complete gun to try it.

What was the width of the grip? I assumed it was mounted different than the original but if its not it would be a good alternative to some of the Stoner owners that need one for chipped grips. From your pictures it looks like its close. The stoner grip screw holds in a plunger for the selector so it needs to be real close to work.

I have seen a M96 on the net with Stoner front sight block, i can't find the picture but here is my carbine setup to look at it better.

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One of the things I always hated was the way Robinson did the gas block and front site on bot the rifle/carbine and the "bren" set up. The squared blocky shit just makes it look like some hack put it together in the garage. The magazine well being so long also drives me nuts when I see it being so long sticking out. I always wondered if it could be cut down and still work but with no parts support it would be a dumb to ruin a complete gun to try it.

What was the width of the grip? I assumed it was mounted different than the original but if its not it would be a good alternative to some of the Stoner owners that need one for chipped grips. From your pictures it looks like its close. The stoner grip screw holds in a plunger for the selector so it needs to be real close to work.

I have seen a M96 on the net with Stoner front sight block, i can't find the picture but here is my carbine setup to look at it better.

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Stoner63ACarbine-left-KCB70-bayonet.jpg
View Quote
Hey Sarge

I agree.  Why didnt they make it closer to the real thing?  Patent rights by then were probably expired.  Even little things like the grip, stock, trigger, Mag well,...  Oh well I'm happier with mine every time I modify it.  Id just like to know if I take it to the range and it breaks, I'd have back up parts.

The grip attaches the same way, should be no trouble.  I have an ORIGINAL top half only Stoner grip and it fits great on the M96 as does the AirSoft.  Sorry I didnt write it down when I mic'd it.  Id bet good money it will also fit a Stoner, just might be a bit wide.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty cool idea using airsoft furniture!  That looks damn nice.

I wish I had bought a M96 when they first came out.  They were a couple hundred more in price than I was willing to pay at the time.  Stupidly instead I bought a quality HK 91 clone that I can't get rid of without taking more of a loss than I'm willing too.

If I was into retros then like I am now, it would have been a different story!
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually it's as nice, if not nicer, than the furniture that came on it.  I was really surprised.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Next I'll be working on getting the front sight/Gas Block changed out, a Stoner trigger added, and a rear sight group added.  That will be just about as far as I think you can take one of these?  Somewhere I read someone may be trying to change out the mag well?  That would be nice to see.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Parts came in and look good.  Hopefully my guy can make these work.  Also have decided to see what I can do about cutting down the mag well.  I just hate the look of it.  Sticks down to far.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Well thanks to this thread I got off my butt and found myself one of these fine rifles.

I had already ordered and received my airsoft butt stock and pistol grip and a de milled Stoner 63 before I found the gun. My plans were to 63 it up a bit.
This thing is way too clean to do any major modifications to. Perhaps if I find a rifle barrel I will do it right. For now I will probably do the furniture and nothing else.

Nothing else besides stare at it and take pictures of it and the occasional trip to the range.

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice M96 Recon.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow, she's a real sweetheart.  I'm considering having my bbl cut down.  Love the look of the carbines.

And thanks to a member here, I finally have what I think will be the last part needed.  A Stoner flash hider.  

Also I'll do some more investigating before I cut down the mag well.  I hear that when thats been done that the AR mags dont stay in very well.  Not enough support.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow, she a real sweetheart.  I'm considering having my bbl cut down.  Love the look of the carbines.

And thanks to a member here, I finally have what I think will be the last part needed.  A Stoner flash hider.  

Also I'll do some more investigating before I cut down the mag well.  I hear that when thats been done that the AR mags dont stay in very well.  Not enough support.
View Quote
Email sent.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I finally found those pictures of the M96 he used Stoner 63 parts on. Looks like he used the hinge from a Stoner carbine stock, front rifle sight, and rear stoner sight. Obviously a carbine front sight and bayonet lug would have been better but its still a major improvement.

http://aftermathgunclub.com/2012/10/29/a-robinson-m96-mating-a-stoner63/

Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#23]
So my flash hider arrived last week.  Now, I think, I have everything (but the ca$h) to get this thing modified.  Another member here offered an already cut down RA M96 magwell so I can see if it can be made to work.  Its been said that when the M96 magwell is cut short, the mags aren't very stable?  Will see what can be done about that.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice!  Excited to see this come together.

Ya'll are making me jealous.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#25]
....and still closer.  Thanks to a member here I have a cut down mag well, which I think, will work.  Need to assemble all the pins & springs then try a full 30 rd for fit and function.  Also got a thread adapter with it so I have the FH on now as well.  Oh, and after rebuilding two cut up original PGs thats been installed too.

Still looking for 2-3 flash hiders, top feed parts, carbine front sight variation and the separate bayo lug.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#26]
god that's sexy
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#27]
She's gettin there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Been following your progress on this. You're doing a fine job!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks everyone, but I think I've reached my limit.  Now I'm just waiting on the Wizard of Ottawa Lake to tell me he's got the time to take the rest of this on.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's a pic of everything being changed over to the M96 from original Stoner parts, sans Butt stock which is air soft.  Not sure about adding the ejection port dust cover door?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#32]
^^^ SWEET ^^^
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Enjoying the thread, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice. I had an M96,  but sold it a few years back. Idea when I bought it in 1999 was to Stoner clone it, but I couldn't bring myself to cut the cocking slot in the top/bottom/top of the receiver. As a result, I sold my Stoner demil kit and the M96 (insert kicking myself emojie here).  Missed out on a few reasonable Stoners over the last 30 years or so and wouldn't be working on my project (if I had the ability to insert links to threads with my phone ....technologically challenged......I would do that here)  had that guy at a show  not said "I got a Stoner receiver somewhere around." I'd just be doing my AR builds like nothing happened. Going to look at and hopefully get some more parts tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Good for you Weapons & Beer.  Let me know what you find.  Flash hiders are top of the list along with hand guards.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#36]
We need video of this shooting!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#37]
That will be awhile, maybe in the Fall, but I'll make one when it's ready.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Need some help from anyone that can find me a couple Stoner barrel extensions.  Working on an idea for a barrel conversion but wont know until I get one of these in hand.

Also, any M96 owners that would like to see any parts from the Stoner re produced?  Rear sight, trigger, barrel guide, Flash Hider, etc.

Let me know here
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Any original barrel extensions you find you should have mag particle tested for cracks. Some of them floating around have been cracked. Also there was some one that made some, not sure how good they are or accurate or who or how much.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Good info, Thank you.  I wasn't aware.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I picked an extension up locally the other day. It was in the white and apparently never heat treated (personally, I don't think it was deburred). Have some later CG drawings and if the planets align, one of the companies that provides us with AR extensions can make them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Also, any M96 owners that would like to see any parts from the Stoner re produced? Rear sight, trigger, barrel guide, Flash Hider, etc.

^^^YES TO ALL^^^
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:36:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Has anybody cut their barrels back like this one?
Attachment Attached File

Any issues with it if you have?

I have the expeditionary length barrel with the brake and would prefer it to be shorter and threaded to run a can or flash hider but don't want to cause a cycling issue.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Banshee, I know the one you pictured runs like a champ, and I believe the gas hole was left original.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#45]
My RA M96 is still in the works but the process is taking a bit longer than hoped for.  Im still acquiring Stoner parts where I can, not an easy task.

Here are the latest parts:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#46]
OK, so no work being done yet as my guy doin the work, The Wizard of Ottawa Lake, is too busy, as he always is, right now.  Also I have a set of original pins for the Stoner, the hollow type. Will make this look even closer when they're on the weapon.

Gave my trigger away in a trade, a buddy needed it more than I, so if anyone knows where I can get one, email me here.  Other parts are needed as well.  Send me a list of what you have.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Is that oil/grease on those pins or is it rust? I soaked some lightly rusted parts in evaporust for a week or so. Not only did the rust disappear, but the parts turned a nice blackish color.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry for the late reply, I think its mostly rust.  My kitchen blew a waterline in the ceiling and everything is a total loss.  Its consumed my every waking moment the last two months.  

Anyway I'll have a bunch more Stoner parts to post by the end of next week if all goes according to plan, if I have the time.

I should have enough of everything to convert two RA M96s, one a rifle and one a carbine.  

Fingers crossed
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Shit man, sorry to hear that, 37.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks, most is covered by Insurance but I have to pay for the plumbing to be replaced to the tun of $5k+.  Thats outta pocket that wasnt planned for. And I have a $1500 deductible. I just dumped $10k in windows beginning of this year, that was planned.  Oh well, someone told me one time If you want to make GOD laugh, tell Him your plans!

It happened right when I was really in the market for another RA M96 too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top