Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2017 3:34:20 PM EDT
Got my ugly SAR-80 build done-ish and to the range.

Running well but #2 will be much improved.

For those unfamiliar with the SAR-80 it was basically the first product improved AR-18. First created by Sterling it was built in Singapore and is now known as the Singapore Automatic Rifle 1980 or SAR-80. Approximately 100,000 were produced and recently about 150 kits came into the country. As you can imagine as a fan or the AR-180 I had to have a couple.

SAR80 Home Build First Shots
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
That's really cool. I'd love to do that, but I need another project like I need a hole in the head.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Would love to see some close ups rix. My affinity for everything AR18 stems from the L85A1 so i'm always interested to see derivatives done right. You have a couple of kits you say? Are you looking to part with one?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quick, someone take my wallet before I buy one.

I really love obscure rifles like this. That's why I bought these darn CETME L kits.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Kits still available.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/631564182

Most of the info on building these is at Armorers Alliance.

Biggest thread is here

http://armorersalliance.com/forum/index.php/topic,311.0.html

I'm slowly documenting my builds at AR180S.com

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]
very nice, what are you doing for refinish?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Very cool as usual BigRix. Whats with the Brits and their affinity for that horrid black crinkle finish?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Speaking of crinkle paint, your local Autozone might have VHT wrinkle paint. If you follow the instructions, it works quite well at reproducing that look.

It's made for car engines so, it should hold up to some abuse as well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I would kill for one of those.   I don't know what it is about them, but I absolutely love the look of them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I want one bad, but after my Cetme L debacle, I'm not buying kits for anything.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
It would be very cool but I don't have facilities to take on a project like that

You need one of the steel "Made in England" sticker magazines that were sold during the ban era, I believe those were the original magazines for the SAR-80. They were commonly misattributed to the British SA-80.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]
You did it again BR
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
What happened, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The intial release were the lowest quality parts kits.  I was excited about the concept and jumped on it early.  Didn't know I was buying the sheisty kit.  Barrel run came and went like a fart, without nearly enough barrels in relation to kits.

Can't find a barrel, and I missed the boat on some of the companies doing builds.  The ones still offering builds don't have barrels.

Should have just sat on my thumbs and bought a complete gun when they were offered, but... noooo... "I'll get this kit built some day."

Had I known what was happening, I would have focused on barrel first and then bought a "very good" kit later on.  With parts in hand, could send it off for a build.

edit:  And the reason I'm pissy about it is because I have the mechanical skill of a Somali with Parkinson's and can't do it myself.  And I want more 80s black rifle goodness.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Should have just sat on my thumbs and bought a complete gun when they were offered, but... noooo... "I'll get this kit built some day."
View Quote
Now, this I can relate to.

I had wanted a "very good" kit but, they were sold out by the time I decided to commit. Settled on a deal for 2 "good" kits and got my hands on the shell and jig from HMG. Figured I'd use it as an excuse to pick up a welder and some other shop tools. Ended up waiting a month or so to receive the stuff from HMG and lucked into another barrel run from Apex. That was in October.

Still haven't picked up any of the tools I need to put it together.

In the end I'll probably have spent enough that I could have just bought a complete one. They were available at the time. Could be shooting it right now.

The SAR-80 looks like a much easier build though. I'm still tempted. BigRix's looks great, if I could get mine to look half as good, that'd be killer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Anybody try one of the bolt groups in a 180? looks very close to the same thing??
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The intial release were the lowest quality parts kits.  I was excited about the concept and jumped on it early.  Didn't know I was buying the sheisty kit.  Barrel run came and went like a fart, without nearly enough barrels in relation to kits.

Can't find a barrel, and I missed the boat on some of the companies doing builds.  The ones still offering builds don't have barrels.

Had I known what was happening, I would have focused on barrel first and then bought a "very good" kit later on.  With parts in hand, could send it off for a build.

edit:  And the reason I'm pissy about it is because I have the mechanical skill of a Somali with Parkinson's and can't do it myself.  And I want more 80s black rifle goodness.  

http://imageshack.us/a/img921/7848/8HEtTx.jpg
View Quote
That's a nice collection. I almost picked up a T2 last year but the SO was with me so I had to tread carefully.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#19]
After reading this thread and the one on AR180S, I decided to delve off into my own SAR-80 project.

I received my parts and I ordered a barrel blank from Green Mountain Barrel Company.

Now the fun begins.

BigRix I sent you an email with some questions.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#20]
SAR80 Home Build First Shots

Ran well on the lowest gas setting after I ran about 150 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Trip to Battlefield Vegas to shoot the SAR-80

Had to stop by Battlefield Vegas and shoot their postie SAR-80 when I had to go there for work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Took the belt sander to her and cleaned up the welds then shot it with some VHT wrinkle paint.

Not perfect but way better then it was.

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#23]
That still looks pretty damn good to me man. Need more video now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anybody try one of the bolt groups in a 180? looks very close to the same thing??
View Quote
Yes I tried it doesn't fit the 180 it is just a tad taller...

The bolt may swap out into a AR-180 the tail is a bit different but it might work...

I need to get off my lazy butt and work on my SAR-80...

John Thomas turned a barrel blank head spaced it and fit the FSB for me...

Just need to bend the receiver tube I have the steel just need to be in the mood to get it done...
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTyGcvC0Rl0

Had to stop by Battledfield Vegas and shoot their postie SAR-80 when I had to go there for work.
View Quote
Lol, DEAD MAN "click"! ^
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here. I picked up a "good" condition kit the week they came out and was pretty disappointed in the "good" condition. I haven't even bothered with it. I still have to finished my xm177, and some other projects. Love the SAR80, but Iv got too many projects right now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#28]
That is just awesome.

That is a type of rifle I know that I have never in person. I don't think I have heard of anyone else that owns one.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top