Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2017 4:25:40 PM EDT
I am looking for detailed pictures of what makes a 601 upper a 601 upper. The sight wheel area and the square pad door I know about. I'm looking for the small details with pictures if you have them.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from the experts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Smiling, I live there and it is a great reference site. I question whether or not the details are correct on that one or I am missing something. I though there was a hole below the port door as an example.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

601 upper receiver:

- Forge flash removed from inside of carry handle
- Tiny hole under ejection port for door spring "leg"
- Beaver tail above charging handle has distinct angles
- "R" and arrow not marked at the rear sight area (it's on the sight wheel instead)
- Area at the bottom rear of the ejection port profiled to [basically] match profile of lower receiver
- "Square forge" at top front of ejection port
- Front lug (for pivot pin) rebated on left side

John Thomas
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

- "R" and arrow marked at the rear sight area

John Thomas
View Quote
To clear up some possible confusion from the above post: the "R" and arrow should be ON the sight wheel, and NO markings at the rear sight area on 601's, the "R" and arrow are ENGRAVED at the rear sight area for 602's, and the "R" and arrow are RAISED at the rear sight area for carbines, 603's, and 604's, as well as all of the later models.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you, that was what I was looking for. Should I assume that there are no differences on the other side? I have a square and a round slick side uppers both with rebated lugs. I was wondering what it would take to make them into 601 clones. I have been looking for quite some time for real ones.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank you, that was what I was looking for. Should I assume that there are no differences on the other side? I have a square and a round slick side uppers both with rebated lugs. I was wondering what it would take to make them into 601 clones. I have been looking for quite some time for real ones.
View Quote
Any chance you could get a modern one to chop up?

Even though they made a lot, they didnt make 604 uppers for that long. Six or seven years tops.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Even though they made a lot, they didnt make 604 uppers for that long. Six or seven years tops.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a fan of cutting up original Colt parts, but I'm also getting tired of looking and getting outbid for an original. The thing is the rifles I intend to use these on will never be 100% original and the 601 uppers just don't seem to come up any more. The square forge looking one I have appears to be refinished and I don't see any Colt proof marks on that one. The round forge still has black lugs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not a fan of cutting up original Colt parts, but I'm also getting tired of looking and getting outbid for an original. The thing is the rifles I intend to use these on will never be 100% original and the 601 uppers just don't seem to come up any more. The square forge looking one I have appears to be refinished and I don't see any Colt proof marks on that one. The round forge still has black lugs.
View Quote
One of those cerakoted Fulton Armory slickside receivers would be the better choice for modifying. And they're square forge. You could remove the forge markings, remove the sight wheel arrow, and profile the area underneath the port door to line up with the lower receiver, then refinish, and you wouldn't be altering an original part. As for the lack of proof marks, Colt was the only manufacturer to make slickside upper receivers, so if it is an original receiver, it is Colt.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Or, buy a cheap SP1 upper and use that.  There are currently lots of SP1 uppers available, due to the rifles being torn down for parts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The last time I looked Fulton did not even list the slickside upper on their site anymore except for the complete legacy upper assy. It showed as out of stock for a long time and then it was gone.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The last time I looked Fulton did not even list the slickside upper on their site anymore except for the complete legacy upper assy. It showed as out of stock for a long time and then it was gone.
View Quote
Just looked at their site and same goes for the slick side, chrome BCG's.
I've been waiting on them to come back in stock for about 6 months, now they aren't even listed anymore.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:45:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a few I'd be willing to part with.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been looking at the pictures I can find of these "new square forge" uppers. I believe one that I have is one of them. Black, square, no Colt proof marks and no casting marks. As much as I understand and agree with the debate. At the end of the day, I would rather spend the additional funds on modifying what I own, rather then pay twice to buy another slick side. I see them on EE from $150 to $200. I already own at least five of slick side uppers. Two were bought as place savers for my 601 projects. I bought this last one as a no name for just this reason of possibly modifying it. Now that handles one of the two I need, so I will think hard before I do it to a Colt proofed upper.

Thanks for all the feedback. I now know exactly what I should be looking for in a 601 upper and what would need to be modified if I choose to go that route.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I can take detailed pictures of my Fulton slickside upper if you want
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a few I'd be willing to part with.
View Quote
Email sent.

I too am trying to build a 601. I have a complete sp1 upper (w/sight and door).  For almost two years I've tried but just can't bring myself to modify it.

if a person got a Fulton upper.  What would be the best way to strip the cerikote as to help promote anadization after modification?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just looked at their site and same goes for the slick side, chrome BCG's.
I've been waiting on them to come back in stock for about 6 months, now they aren't even listed anymore.
View Quote
Info I emailed Fulton on feb 18

Inquiring about your
Bolt Carrier, M16/AR15, Chrome, No Forward Assist Notches, with Chrome Gas Key.
Part #: FA-AU-182-k
Are they coming back to your store? Do you have a time frame?
Thanks, Marc

Hey Marc,

We’re still carrying them but I don’t have an eta, check back in the summer

Regards,
Clint Jr.

Sales/Customer Service/Webmaster
Fulton Armory
8725 Bollman Place, Suite #1
Savage, MD 20763
P (301) 490-9485
F (301) 490-9547
Fulton-Armory.com
[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:40:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Fulton upper pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Never noticed it before but what's with the small hole under the sight on the left side?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:08:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fulton upper pics

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG-4429-178404.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/IMG-4430-178405.JPG

Never noticed it before but what's with the small hole under the sight on the left side?
View Quote
I have a C7 like that and have wondered the same.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Smiling, I live there and it is a great reference site. I question whether or not the details are correct on that one or I am missing something. I though there was a hole below the port door as an example.
View Quote
There is a hole, it just isn't visible under the ejection port cover.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There is a hole, it just isn't visible under the ejection port cover.
View Quote
Thanks. I found a picture of a stripped 601 upper and realized the hole was under the port door. I'm very late to the 601 game.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One of those cerakoted Fulton Armory slickside receivers would be the better choice for modifying. And they're square forge. You could remove the forge markings, remove the sight wheel arrow, and profile the area underneath the port door to line up with the lower receiver, then refinish, and you wouldn't be altering an original part. As for the lack of proof marks, Colt was the only manufacturer to make slickside upper receivers, so if it is an original receiver, it is Colt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turns out the Fulton Armory uppers are not good candidates to turn into 601 uppers... the hole in the upper at the back side of the sight wheel screw needs to be filled, which shows up after anodizing. Then after all the machining work is done, removing Ceracoating with bed blasting does not seem to work very well...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Turns out the Fulton Armory uppers are not good candidates to turn into 601 uppers... the hole in the upper at the back side of the sight wheel screw needs to be filled.
View Quote
Why? What exactly do you mean?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#24]
For some reason, there is a small extra hole drilled all the way through to the back side of the detente hole. It appears it is on all of them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Who can reprofile drill spring hole and engrave them if someone wanted to convert a 604 to a 601 or 602 upper?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For some reason, there is a small extra hole drilled all the way through to the back side of the detente hole. It appears it is on all of them.
View Quote
I have that hole in one of my C7 receivers. I don't know why it is there. I've never tried to investigate any further.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Who can reprofile drill spring hole and engrave them if someone wanted to convert a 604 to a 601 or 602 upper?
View Quote
Probably braceman.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Probably braceman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably braceman.
Braceman or John Thomas are the two I am aware of.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ill be able to do those mods soon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Can you anodize two that the work has been already done on?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes i can.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Next step I anodizing...

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Who did the work on those?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Both John Thomas and Braceman (others I'm sure) are able to do this type of modifications. In my case, Braceman did this work for me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok sent them both emails.  Are you using both of yours?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, I need one for my brown 601 and I am building a BFPU 601 with the other.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok cool did they strip the anodizing off as well?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes, one was anodized and the other with the extra hole was cherokoted. It was a poor candidate for the machine work.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top