Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2017 9:44:04 PM EDT
Just wondering what would be the proper 603/604 upper to go with a Colt MP 12 marked barrel. The FSB is a forged type with flashing removed and no drain hole if this helps. Also.........would these barrels have come with the early bend gas tube or the improved?  Thanks folks..........
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just wondering what would be the proper 603/604 upper to go with a Colt MP 12 marked barrel. The FSB is a forged type with flashing removed and no drain hole if this helps. Also.........would these barrels have come with the early bend gas tube or the improved?  Thanks folks..........
View Quote

Most would have left the factory with early bend tubes and square forge upper receivers.  A square forge upper receiver with the rebate underneath the port door would be optimal, but not required.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Assuming this ^ is what we're talking about....

MP12 barrels were only produced for a relatively short time and were in the timeframe when IMHO, from original examples Ive seen...uppers were sort of in between "very square" and "clearly round." They most definitely would not have been found on the rebated under the port door uppers.

This is the upper I have my MP12 barrel assembled on, and I feel like its the correct profile. Its what I would call a late square forge 604 upper. Notice how the left side is slightly curved at the top:

This barrel was originally assembled on an XM16E1upper that @Morg308 had that I believe looked the same. Also keep in mind with the MP12 theres about a 50/50 chance it would have been on a full fence XM16E1 lower.

^ Full fence lower indicating produced between Jan 1967-Oct 1967 Notice the curvature of the forge lines

^ Another example of the sort of rounded at the top forge lines

Compared to how straight the early uppers were (this upper is rebated under the port door)

This is an early A1 with the MP C barrel (all original, .fed gun)

Thats my case for how uppers looked from 66-69~ish and what MP12 barrels would have been assembled on. Mostly square but slightly rounded at the corners.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input gentlemen!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#4]
MP 12 barrel is 1966 to 1967, refer to Ekie's guide for proper upper.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

MP12 barrels were only produced for a relatively short time and were in the timeframe when IMHO, from original examples Ive seen...uppers were sort of in between "very square" and "clearly round." They most definitely would not have been found on the rebated under the port door uppers.
Thats my case for how uppers looked from 66-69~ish and what MP12 barrels would have been assembled on. Mostly square but slightly rounded at the corners.
View Quote
You are correct, my bad.  I SAW MP12, but I THOUGHT M VP 12.  Most MP 12 barrels WOULD have had early bend tubes, and they would have been on square to round uppers, but NOT square rebated uppers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You are correct, my bad.  I SAW MP12, but I THOUGHT M VP 12.  Most MP 12 barrels WOULD have had early bend tubes, and they would have been on square to round uppers, but NOT square rebated uppers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VP MVP MP CMPC .... It's easy to have a brain fart
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top