Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2017 2:15:46 PM EDT
After over 2 years of collecting parts and changing direction with the build I finally have started assembly of my Early Transitional 604 build. Originally I was going to build a 602 clone but decided not modify the early 604 Upper’s original condition. The barrel is a VP-12 with cast FSB. The receiver is a NDS partial fence, engraved by Justin Bowser. All parts are original except for the Many Circles Mag release & the transitional bolt catch which was by Heatnbeat and some of his handy work like mounting the cast FSB. Original dimple sight screw with the flat top 3 sight wheel, Early bend Stainless Steel gas tube, dimple mag catch with many circles mag release button, dimpled selector, Type-C stock with no drain screw, 602 skinny grip, 601 pistol grip screw, Edgewater buffer, 601 FCG modified to semi, 601 receiver extension with hole, early large port door, NOS No drain hole hand guards, original dimple pins, original 3 prong FH, P marked bolt, flat head firing pin, milled FPRP and early chrome carrier with 3/4 gas key with square stakes, 1964 dated cotton sling…

A Very Special Thanks to All….

Original Early Square Forge 604 Upper, Rebate under port opening - UtahShotgunner
Early Large Pad Port Door Assembly - aeyoung
Early Colt Rear Sight Assembly w/Original Dimpled Rear Site Screw - Slim (got lucky there )
602 Bolt Carrier - machinehead
Chrome Thin Band Colt P Bolt - aeyoung
Colt Flathead Firing Pin - machinehead
Original Chrome Machined Firing Pin Retainer - machinehead
Dimpled Lower Takedown and Pivot Pins – scottgreene
Early Dimpled XM16E1 Magazine Catch – GunBroker
Early Colt Dimpled Selector - aeyoung
Early Colt M16 FCG - boywonder777
Modded to Semi - Heatnbeat
Many Circles Button - Heatnbeat
Early Transitional Buffertube with Tightening Holes - Slim
Edgewater Buffer – EE
Colt Bufferspring - Gunbroker
Type C Stock - Gunbroker
NOS No Drain A1 Stock Screw - boywonder777
Colt 602 Skinny A1 Pistol Grip - Cdenmark
NOS 601 Pistol Grip Screw w/washer - boywonder777
XM16E1 Lower Receiver - Nodak Spud LLC
Engraving by – Justin Bowser
NOS XM Gray Slipring - Gunbroker
Stainless Steel Early Bend Gastube - boywonder777
NOS No Drain Type C HG's - Gunbroker
VP 12 Barrel (Sight Assembly/Sling Swivel Not Included) - Gunbroker
Cast Front Site Post/assembly - j0eschm0
Sling Swivel/Roll Pin - Heatnbeat
Improved Threeprong Flash Hider –Original to barrel
NOS Colt Lock Washers - Heatnbeat
Energa Grenade Spring (Original) - EE
Colt Circle 1 .223 Magazine Body - EE
Waffle Mag w/Colt Follower/Spring/Baseplate - NDS
M1 Cotton Sling - Local Gun Shop

Miss placed a few roll pins so I still need to finish the gas tube install, install roll pin in stock, so I will update pictures once all completed with a quality camera. I know the dimpled trigger and hammer pins are not correct but I like the way they looked and actually captured in one of pics I just had to try out the triangle CH that was planned for the 602 originally.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Great looking build! I totally respect the time and dedication it takes to do a build like that

Why did the FSB need to be mounted on the barrel? Just curious in what condition you found that barrel.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice, appears to have been done right
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me be first to say Wow.
Can't wait for more pictures
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let me be first to say Wow.
Can't wait for more pictures
View Quote
Yep. Same here.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Purchased the barrel of GB, I'm pretty sure it was from a Retro Brother here, that sold two at that time. Actually when I got the barrel it had a very early smooth, no drain FSB. Brought it up here in discussing but never really knew the details on why it was changed out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Purchased the barrel of GB, I'm pretty sure it was from a Retro Brother here, that sold two at that time. Actually when I got the barrel it had a very early smooth, no drain FSB. Brought it up here in discussing but never really knew the details on why it was changed out.
View Quote
What are the details on the cast FSB you had installed?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What are the details on the cast FSB you had installed?
View Quote
It was an original cast Colt FSB, that came off an early de-milled 12 barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#11]
S, that is really going to look bitchin' when it's finished, I can hardly wait!  Every time I get involved with one of these projects it makes me want to build ME another one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
What makes you think it was "changed out"?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
The fact that we I brought it up here several months back, must all was of the same thinking.....that no early VP 12 barrels came with the smoothed down, no drain hole FSB.

I need to update the thread with some current pictures, which I'll try to do in the next day or so. The build has been finished, passed function test, now I just need to send a few rounds down range,
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The fact that we I brought it up here several months back, must all was of the same thinking.....that no early VP 12 barrels came with the smoothed down, no drain hole FSB.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True VP 12 barrels had cast front sights, but your photo shows an M VP 12  barrel, and not an earlier VP 12 barrel.  There are LOTS of original examples of M VP 12 barrels with "smoothed down, no drain hole" front sight bases.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top