BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/28/2017 1:08:22 PM EDT
Got an email this morning from Brownell's concerning a retro barrel recall. Seems when they were drilling the gas block hole, the drill bit may have hit the other side of the barrel's interior. The barrels include
A-1 carbine barrels from 10.5" to 16" 1X12 & 1X7 twist, and A-2 carbine and rifle barrels 1X7 twist. They suggest checking the interior of your barrel for drilling marks on the opposite of the gas block hole.
If your barrel is affected, you can call their Customer Support Staff at: 800-741-0015.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
To our Valued Customers:

It has come to our attention that the Brownells barrel you recently purchased may have a defect.  When drilling the gas port, there is a possibility that the drill contacted the opposite side of the interior of the barrel.  Your barrel may have a slight blemish or show signs of contact in the rifling opposite the gas port.  If this is evident on your barrel, or you are not certain and would like an exchange, please contact Brownells.  The defect is not a safety issue, but may lead to suboptimal accuracy and is not to our standards.

The following Barrels were affected by the recall.

100-021-000 AR-15 10.5" A2 CARBINE BARREL 1-7 STRIPPED
100-020-996   AR-15 12.7" A1 CARBINE BBL 1-12
100-020-997   AR-15 14.7" A1 CARBINE BBL 1-12
100-021-009   AR-15 14.7" A2 CARBINE BARREL STRIPPED
100-020-998 AR-15 16" A1 CARBINE BBL 1-12
100-021-010 AR-15 16" A2 CARBINE BARREL 1-7 STRIPPED
100-020-999   AR-15 20" A1 RIFLE BARREL 1-12 BBL
100-021-011 AR-15 20" A1 RIFLE BARREL 1-7 STRIPPED
100-021-650   AR-15 20" A2 RIFLE BARREL 1-7 BBL
100-021-012   AR-15 20" A1 RIFLE BARREL 1-7 BBL

Please contact Brownells 800-741-0015 and ask for our Customer Support Staff, or you can reply to this email. We will offer you a UPS prepaid shipping label to return the barrel. We will need to know if you would like credit issued or an exchange when the new inventory is received.

Sincerely,

Karen

Karen Blankenship
Customer Service Team Lead
Email: [email protected]
Brownells, Inc. and Sinclair International
Address: 200 S. Front St., Montezuma, IA 50171
Phone: 641-623-5401
Direct: 641-623-7044
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I received the same email. I will post the body of the email here for all to see. Now I need to check the barrels I just received. I have some carbine barrels that were ordered before the new batch. I'm guessing those are are. I sure hope so because they are on the rifles and muzzle devices welded on. I have two rifle barrels installed and I think they were from the new batch. Man I paid money and recall like this should be a refund of money spent to have barrels put on.

To our Valued Customers:

It has come to our attention that the Brownells barrel you recently purchased may have a defect.  When drilling the gas port, there is a possibility that the drill contacted the opposite side of the interior of the barrel.  Your barrel may have a slight blemish or show signs of contact in the rifling opposite the gas port.  If this is evident on your barrel, or you are not certain and would like an exchange, please contact Brownells.  The defect is not a safety issue, but may lead to suboptimal accuracy and is not to our standards.

I am glad that they are stepping up and saying there is a problem and not covering it up. It just ticked me off that I can't recoup my money spent to have the work done.

The following Barrels were affected by the recall.

100-021-000 AR-15 10.5" A2 CARBINE BARREL 1-7 STRIPPED

100-020-996   AR-15 12.7" A1 CARBINE BBL 1-12

100-020-997   AR-15 14.7" A1 CARBINE BBL 1-12

100-021-009   AR-15 14.7" A2 CARBINE BARREL STRIPPED

100-020-998 AR-15 16" A1 CARBINE BBL 1-12

100-021-010 AR-15 16" A2 CARBINE BARREL 1-7 STRIPPED

100-020-999   AR-15 20" A1 RIFLE BARREL 1-12 BBL

100-021-011 AR-15 20" A1 RIFLE BARREL 1-7 STRIPPED

100-021-650   AR-15 20" A2 RIFLE BARREL 1-7 BBL

100-021-012   AR-15 20" A1 RIFLE BARREL 1-7 BBL

Please contact Brownells 800-741-0015 and ask for our Customer Support Staff, or you can reply to this email. We will offer you a UPS prepaid shipping label to return the barrel. We will need to know if you would like credit issued or an exchange when the new inventory is received.

Sincerely,

Karen

Karen Blankenship

Customer Service Team Lead

Email: [email protected]
Brownells, Inc. and Sinclair International
Address: 200 S. Front St., Montezuma, IA 50171

Phone: 641-623-5401

Direct: 641-623-7044

Order Line: 1-800-741-0015
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, I just found the email. I had previously blown it off bc the sender was Karen Blankenship, not Brownells as usual. Mine is still in the wrap, now I guess I have to open it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm. I don't have a bore scope, but it looks okay using the Mk. 1 Mod 0 eyeball. Anyone know it that is sufficient?  Would it be obvious to the naked eye?  Looks just a little dusty but smooth in there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
In before the bashing. Yes while it stinks and will inconvenience many,, I think it was " stand up" of them to acknowledge the problem and send out the emails . So before the bashing, contact them and please deal with the issue in a professional manner so they won't "squash" future attempts to fill retro type requests..
I have absolutely no dog in the fight,,, just adding my 2 pennies and worth whacha paid.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmm. I don't have a bore scope, but it looks okay using the Mk. 1 Mod 0 eyeball. Anyone know it that is sufficient?  Would it be obvious to the naked eye?  Looks just a little dusty but smooth in there.
View Quote

In the past VAAR, I have seen 2 barrels that were known to be drilled too deep and holding up to the sun, you could see the ooopppsss.. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad I went with a GM.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I received this email as well. I have one of the 998 A1 carbine barrels.  I already made contact with Brownell's who is supposed to send me a UPS shipping label. I hit the inside of the barrel with a light and all I can see is clean and shiny lands and groves. Is there an obvious defect that you'll be able to see?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I received this email as well. I have one of the 998 A1 carbine barrels.  I already made contact with Brownell's who is supposed to send me a UPS shipping label. I hit the inside of the barrel with a light and all I can see is clean and shiny lands and groves. Is there an obvious defect that you'll be able to see?
View Quote
It would be pretty obvious.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder how that happened. Whoever made them must have just been drilling them in a press or something.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#11]
So, it looks like this did affect the 20" 1/7 A1 barrels that we have been waiting for. Why put them in the recall though? They never even got to the point were they were for sale.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So, it looks like this did affect the 20" 1/7 A1 barrels that we have been waiting for. Why put them in the recall though? They never even got to the point were they were for sale.
View Quote

I ordered my 16" on the 2/12 or 13.   They were listed the following day for $20.00 more and out of stock. 20" and 16" if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been shooting these guns for years. This is the first time I'm building one. What should I looking for in the bore? Haven't heard aback from Brownell's yet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've been shooting these guns for years. This is the first time I'm building one. What should I looking for in the bore? Haven't heard aback from Brownell's yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shine a light through the bore and look down the port or just look down the barrel towards a light.

Put your finger where the gas port is and it will help your eye focus there as you look down it. If there's anything opposite it, it should stick out.

Of course I say this having looked at hundreds of barrels.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#15]
rifleman: My barrel has the front sight tower installed. However: Looking down the barrel it looks fine to me. No different than my other rifles.  I heard back from Karen at Brownell's who advised they need to inspect the bore with a bore scope in order to determine if the barrel is defective.  So, I guess its a trip back to Brownell's.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
rifleman: My barrel has the front sight tower installed. However: Looking down the barrel it looks fine to me. No different than my other rifles.  I heard back from Karen at Brownell's who advised they need to inspect the bore with a bore scope in order to determine if the barrel is defective.  So, I guess its a trip back to Brownell's.
View Quote
As long as they're paying for it and you don't mind, I'd go ahead with it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I will. Only thing is I have everything assembled for my build. My upper and lower is due in tomorrow to my FFL. I was all ready to start, then this.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm taking mine to my local shop and have them look it over. If there is anything wrong Brownells told me to ship all four of mine back. I just got two of them together. I sure hope I don't have to send back.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#19]
When I pick up my lower, I'll have my FFL guy check it out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#20]
My 20 and 14.7 inch A1 barrels both look perfect. Not a single mark in the rifling other than the gas port at 12 o'clock. Just got them in February. I have a 12.7 on the way so hopefully it's fine too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I just ordered this:

Cheapass USB borescope

I'll let y'all know how it works...
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just ordered this:

Cheapass USB borescope

View Quote

Haha!  I see a dramatic increase in the sale of these.  I was looking at them earlier today.  Please do let us know how well it works out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I feel for the person or persons that drilled the gas ports on those barrels...that's a big oops
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I feel for the person or persons that drilled the gas ports on those barrels...that's a big oops
View Quote
Yeah.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:11:27 AM EDT
[#25]
In my opinion....I think it's very stand up of Brownell's to go public to all that bought a barrel. I certainly think there are others vendors that would not have been so forth coming. Before I abandoned ship and broke my build down if it really wasn't a concern, I would send rounds down range to see what the accuracy was like, highly likely it will not be effected .......AND if you are not happy they are still going to take care of you.

From the side lines....Two thumbs up for the integrity and Customer Service from Brownell's
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I drilled through a barrel once when I was trying to pin a flash hider. Fortunately, it was mine. It became an SBR barrel. So I can really, really relate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:38:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I doubt this would actually hurt accuracy. I mean come on they already have one hole drilled in them. What's a little burr on the other side?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Well that didn't take long
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:12:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I have also ordered a borescope as linked above. I really, really hope my barrel is OK.

IT was a headache build and I already did a break in on the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is just a SWAG, but I bet the too deep hole was due to a incorrect program drilling depth g-code on the CNC machining center. I doubt the manufacture used a inexperienced laborer to put barrels in a fixture and started drilling these too deep gas holes. Never the less a human error that QA should of been caught before mass drilling started. Just my thoughts....... a costly one for the company and the consumer.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#31]
North Georgians, if you're close enough to the Gwinnette Arena area I'd be more than happy to meet up and bore scope your barrel.

However, this 'defect in workmanship' will not affect anything but your brain, especially you 1/12 wall hanger types (if you'll pardon the label). The gas hole erosion that comes from actually shooting the barrel is far worse that this and the barrel will still outshoot commercial or military ammo,
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought a 20 inch 1/12" twist for my retro build...already have the barrel mounted on the upper and just waiting for a proper lower from NDS.   I checked mine yesterday evening and since I don't have a borescope...I started looking down the barrel against a variety of backgrounds...clear sky, clouds, lights, even bright colored cars in the parking lot.   I can barely see the gas port itself.  I cannot see an "evident" mark or depression opposite of where the gas port is so I am going to call it good.  I checked another barrel and could see the gas port in that one much clearer.

anyway...Props to Brownells for stepping up and making this right with its customers.  it is going to cost them time and money but they seem to be taking care of their customers.  I will continue to do business with them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I hope they sell the returns to me
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, I think we need to check. Just before I fell asleep last night, it occurred to me that I've never seen a proper gas hole when looking down a barrel, so I shouldn't expect I would see the fvcked up one on the other side...
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd be glad to buy a returned barrel at a discounted price, I don't believe this would change the way a barrel shoots.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I said the same in the other thread about buying a couple at discount.  I don't see it affecting it much if any either but I could be wrong.  

To those of you looking down the barrels, instead of pointing it up at the sky or towards a light I have always found it works best to put a white piece of paper in front of the chamber with just a little space between it and the barrel and then shine a light on the chamber/piece of paper.  You will be able to see the bore a lot clearer then pointing it towards a light, or at least I can.  I'm not sure this will help spotting the extra spot in the barrel but it might.  When checking the bore on most firearms I open the action and lock it back if I can and insert a piece of paper in the chamber area and do as I said above.  A piece of white paper towel works well too just stuff it in their a little and shine the light.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I said the same in the other thread about buying a couple at discount.  I don't see it affecting it much if any either but I could be wrong.  

To those of you looking down the barrels, instead of pointing it up at the sky or towards a light I have always found it works best to put a white piece of paper in front of the chamber with just a little space between it and the barrel and then shine a light on the chamber/piece of paper.  You will be able to see the bore a lot clearer then pointing it towards a light, or at least I can.  I'm not sure this will help spotting the extra spot in the barrel but it might.  When checking the bore on most firearms I open the action and lock it back if I can and insert a piece of paper in the chamber area and do as I said above.  A piece of white paper towel works well too just stuff it in their a little and shine the light.
View Quote

Great advice.

I find that pointing at a bright light or the sun makes so much glare it's hard to see details, especially with a chromed bore.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Shouldn't be a big deal...after there is already one hole where the gas port is....

just saying...

but I understand it's NOT supposed to be there..
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#39]
IF someone has their thinking hat on over there, maybe they should offer a "oops rebate" vs. having to ship it back?
Could be a more popular option.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Heck, I'd take one for a discount price. I'm in the "probably won't hurt a damn thing" crowd.
But then I'm a Derrick Martin fan too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm on my 3rd brownells 12.7" barrel trying to get my upper to retro gun works. My first barrel had a bad chamber and had to send it back to brownells . I was told by CS that they were waiting on a shipment of these barrels from the new company they contracted with and the new barrels would come with the round handguard cap so I said cool put me down for one of those on a exchange. So I waited and waited and 6 weeks later a barrel showed up and it was another of the 1st run barrels. So off again the second one went back to brownells because that's not what I ordered. Now the new barrel shows up and they charged me $27 more for the new manufacture barrel. So the third one now has to go back. Just thought I would share my brownells retro experience
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#42]
This has worked for me.
Ron
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This has worked for me in the past.
Ron
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Okay, that linked image may not work for long because imgur links expire or something.

Top is the gas port. Sorry it's low rez, I used the cheapass borescope listed above. Any thoughts gents?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://imgur.com/a/GxXzb

Okay, that linked image may not work for long because imgur links expire or something.

Top is the gas port. Sorry it's low rez, I used the cheapass borescope listed above. Any thoughts gents?
View Quote

Looks good to me.  All I see is the gas port and a reflection on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Alas, I borescoped a spike tactical barrel, and it doesn't product a reflection, so I suspect that isn't a reflection. That's where the drill hit. :(
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
IF someone has their thinking hat on over there, maybe they should offer a "oops rebate" vs. having to ship it back?
Could be a more popular option.
View Quote

That would be great.
I decided to just keep the 4 barrels I just got.
So either way I am keeping them.
If they decide to make some more later, I will get a few more of them.

Ron
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a 20" 1-12 that I ordered on 2/13/16.  I never got a recall email, and I see no blemish inside the barrel.  Should I be worried?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just ordered this:

Cheapass USB borescope

View Quote

I got the scope yesterday. It's a POS, but better than I expected for the price. Good enough to check out my barrel. I think it is okay.

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:23:48 AM EDT
[#50]
I bought from the very first batch of  14.7" A1 CARBINE BBL 1-12.
My barrel looks good.
I Appreciate Brownells and thanks for standing behind your offerings.

Update: found the wrapping my barrel came in. PN 100-18-350
That probably explains why mine is fine. D'oh!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top