Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2017 6:56:29 PM EDT
Talking to a guy on face book and he said he had a rare early AR folding stock. I have never heard of such a thing. Or seen a model that it would go on.....

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of that either, but it looks like it's based on a Type D stock. Could it be for an AR-18?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought that too but the hinge and stock are different

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks to me the stock has been freshly cut.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks to me the stock has been freshly cut.
View Quote

Agreed.  You can see the stock dust from the cut on the hinge.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Agreed looks to be a homebrew if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
pretty rare.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Obviously off a piston AR.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like it could be a Valmet folding stock hinge.The tube stock from a Valmet with the butt plate removed would fit right in an AR stock.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like it could be a Valmet folding stock hinge.The tube stock from a Valmet with the butt plate removed would fit right in an AR stock.
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a443/hansellhd/DSCN2477_zps86f92eaa.jpg
http://www.valmet.org/valmet6.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, it looks like someone modded a type D to fit a Valmet,
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#10]
That is a homebrew stock, I saw a few of them with Marines when we went to Grenada, but they were never an issued item, if he really has one, it is very rare and you will never find any official documentation about them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That is a homebrew stock, I saw a few of them with Marines when we went to Grenada, but they were never an issued item, if he really has one, it is very rare and you will never find any official documentation about them.
View Quote

I didn't realize that Marines had piston AR rifles in Grenada. Ha!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  That is a homebrew stock, I saw a few of them with Marines when we went to Grenada, but they were never an issued item, if he really has one, it is very rare and you will never find any official documentation about them.
View Quote

Do continue, good sir.  Would you like to explain how it worked, and what the requirement was that Marines were issued such a complex variation on the M-16?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I didn't realize that Marines had piston AR rifles in Grenada. Ha!
View Quote

You would be amazed at the different things the guys came up with, when the need arose, I have seen some really odd ball stuff in the time I served!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:38:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do continue, good sir.  Would you like to explain how it worked, and what the requirement was that Marines were issued such a complex variation on the M-16?
View Quote

They weren't issued, they were modified by some of the guys, myself, I carried a normal run of the mill issue M16A2.  I was Army, so I was not really privy to what the Marines were doing at that time.

Like I said, I saw a lot of odd ball stuff during my time in the service.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They weren't issued, they were modified by some of the guys, myself, I carried a normal run of the mill issue M16A2.  I was Army, so I was not really privy to what the Marines were doing at that time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Do continue, good sir.  Would you like to explain how it worked, and what the requirement was that Marines were issued such a complex variation on the M-16?

Indeed.  Like folding stocks that prevent the bolt carrier from recoiling into the buffer tube?

ETA:  You were issued an M16A2 in 1983?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Indeed.  Like folding stocks that prevent the bolt carrier from recoiling into the buffer tube?

ETA:  You were issued an M16A2 in 1983?
View Quote

Yes, I was issued an A2 in '83, they did not become prevalent in the Army until later, but a few of us Officers did have them.  The Marines used them before we did.

You do know that you can do a search for M16 Folding Stock and see how some of the modifications were done, right?  There are lots of little ingenious things that have been done over the last 40 years.  Not by me mind you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The US Army didn't adopt the A2 until 86. As far as I know, Panama was the first use of the A2 in combat.
Every picture I've seen of Grenada has US Army issued A1s.

Got picture to back up the claim that you had a A2 in those days?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:08:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The US Army didn't adopt the A2 until 86. As far as I know, Panama was the first use of the A2 in combat.

View Quote

No, I don't have any pictures..
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  Yes, I was issued an A2 in '83, they did not become prevalent in the Army until later, but a few of us Officers did have them.  The Marines used them before we did.

You do know that you can do a search for M16 Folding Stock and see how some of the modifications were done, right?  There are lots of little ingenious things that have been done over the last 40 years.  Not by me mind you.
View Quote

Dave, I'd like to believe that you were an Army officer in 1983, & carried an M16A2 in the Grenada invasion, and saw some Marines w/ folding stocked M-16s.  That's a bit much to chew.  I don't doubt you were issued a M16A2 during your time in the service, but I'll wager you have your timeline mixed up.  And I'll bet you thought you saw folding stocked M16s, and I'll bet you saw something else that looked like that.  Maybe every word you've posted is true, but it's a bit hard to swallow w/o any documentation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, what I figured.

I think you are probably full of shit about the folding stock and having an M16A2 in Grenada. Can't say for sure on the rest, but the stink is there. Maybe you are just confused as to the timeline? Willing to give you the benefit of doubt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Believe what you want guys..

No skin off my nose.

I give others the benefit of the doubt quite often.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No skin off my nose.

View Quote

You just gotta understand, it is a bit hard to believe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:36:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Okay
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:37:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No skin off my nose.

Yea wasn't it in Nov 83 before the Marines were issued M16A2s?

Hell I had a AR-15A2 HBAR(R6600) with A2 sights and that was a new thing in 1988 as they only started putting A2 sights on the Sporter models in 1986.

Did you get one of the first ones issued?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:19:37 AM EDT
[#25]
If you guys spent more time in GD you would know when you were getting trolled.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep... no doubt.  If the guy has almost 6000 posts in two years, and makes repeated insane claims, he is either a complete fuktard or trolling for fun.  Don't wrestle with pigs.... no an interesting thread was trashed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#27]
@coldblue

To the fact check board.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not sure where some of the people above were going on this one but.......

It is without a doubt one half of a Valmet rifle folding buttstock hinge/mount that was adapted to an type "D" buttstock and it was obviously never a folding buttstock for an AR or M16 platform rifle (D.I. or piston driven) since the other half of the Valmet folding stock hinge/mount (not shown) would not work on an AR platform without a modified mount to adapt it to an AR lower receiver and more importantly the fact that there is no where for bolt carrier to go back in to.  The real and simpler answer is that someone adapted a type "D" buttstock to a Valmet folding hinge/mount to be used on a Valmet rifle so they could have a full and more comfortable buttstock rather then the standard tubular ones that sometimes come on those rifles from the factory.

Seems simple and obvious to me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It is without a doubt one half of a Valmet rifle folding buttstock hinge/mount that was adapted to an type "D" buttstock and it was obviously never a folding buttstock for an AR or M16 platform rifle (D.I. or piston driven) since the other half of the Valmet folding stock hinge/mount (not shown) would not work on an AR platform without a modified mount to adapt it to an AR lower receiver and more importantly the fact that there is no where for bolt carrier to go back in to.  The real and simpler answer is that someone adapted a type "D" buttstock to a Valmet folding hinge/mount to be used on a Valmet rifle so they could have a full and more comfortable buttstock rather then the standard tubular ones that sometimes come on those rifles from the factory.

View Quote

Very succinct and well written, AND it avoids all of the other BS that this thread entails.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:37:23 AM EDT
[#30]
I was thinking it might be a AR-18 Stock

Red
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you sir , I appreciate it
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was thinking it might be a AR-18 Stock

Red
View Quote

I thought the same thing.... and then I thought it was a stoner 63 stock...... but the stocks are both very different
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The real and simpler answer is that someone adapted a type "D" buttstock to a Valmet folding hinge/mount to be used on a Valmet rifle so they could have a full and more comfortable buttstock rather then the standard tubular ones that sometimes come on those rifles from the factory.
View Quote

More importantly, I want to see pictures of this think mounted on a Valmet! I bet it looks awesome as well as being comfortable.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top