Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2017 1:33:57 AM EDT
Hi,,,, I am going to build a retro rifle. I have the grey upper and lower. What I would like to find to make it "correct" is a lower parts kit with grey color so the pins, selector, trigger etc. are in a matching grey, and not black. They do not need to be the early type with the dimples. Also, a grey charging handle.
Does anyone know where to find new production grey parts?
Thanks !!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Nodak spud has the charging handle. As far as new grey internals for the lower, I doubt they exist. Nice lower parts kits from donor Colt Sp1s come up from time to time on Gunbroker, but they would be used of course.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want an original M16 lower parts kit (minus the auto-sear assembly), call Slim at Indiana Army Surplus (812-275-2801). They are $95 if he has any left. You will need to make a modification to the hammer, safety selector, and disconnector, but that is simple to do.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought about sending a RRA lower parts kit to US Annodizing to be anodized in XM Gray.  Has anyone ever had that done?  Cost?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought about sending a RRA lower parts kit to US Annodizing to be anodized in XM Gray.  Has anyone ever had that done?  Cost?
View Quote

I believe anodizing works on aluminum only. You may want to send the lower parts kit to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works to get them parkerized XM gray.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I believe anodizing works on aluminum only. You may want to send the lower parts kit to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works to get them parkerized XM gray.
View Quote

You're right.  Not sure what I was thinking.  Thanks for letting me know about Retro Arms Works, I hadn't heard of them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I buy gray trigger guards from ar15sport and have JT repark the rest
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#7]
AR15 sport actually offers complete LPKs in xm grey. You just have to call to place it. I've ordered a few and they've been pretty nice. Think it was like $118 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
No selling in tech........<coctailer>
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Naval Jelly, or alternately, toilet cleaner (the gel you squirt under the rim) will grey the parts nicely, except for the mag button and trigger guard. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this - it's an old retro forum trick.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Brownels sells parking solutions I striped and bead blasted a set.  Ther was a 16 LPK on the EE in the NFA section and keep looking on the EE parts show up all the time just usually not the ones your looking for or at the rong time
theirs sum shot gun parts in their too
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a LPK, drop the parts minus the TG in a glass of Coke for about an hour or so, til the color is close to what you want. It's cheap and easy!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I called AR15Sport in Oregon. They are making me a full lower parts kit in grey. $118. Grey charging handle coming with my new No Dak Spud A2 grey lower that is on the way. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I called AR15Sport in Oregon. They are making me a full lower parts kit in grey. $118. Grey charging handle coming with my new No Dak Spud A2 grey lower that is on the way. Thanks!
View Quote

OUCH
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
full LPK in grey,,, trigger guard, all steel parts,,, every thing grey... all matching... will look like a factory all grey rifle, which is what I want... Heck, a lower parts kit in black, that is GOOD quality costs around $75... to me, a complete kit, matching, in the correct color, $118 is fine with me...
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I sell correct colt grey parts.. But this isn't the forum to conduct sales.. This is a tech forum..  
Asking where to buy is kind of the same as asking to buy.
Not the place to ask for or offer parts for sell  (Read the COC bill  you are dropping priced in here... you know better you are regular)

I looked in the WTB section of the EE minutes ago and did not see this posted... I would have responded.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Please stay on topic.....<coctailer>
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#18]
This post presents a classic dilemma I see here over and over. As coctailer said he is looking for a source for these parts. You won't get the sourcing info that is posted here simply by posting a WTB in the EE. I learned a few things in this post as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I posted this in a retro forum seeking advice as to WHAT vendors to use/ WHERE to find. I did not ask " who has this for sale". It is great to get advice on which vendors sell a quality part, and who to avoid. Thank you all for the great advice! Please notice I did not buy from anyone who posted on this thread.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Modern Colt LPKs are still grey. Replace the mag release button, trigger guard with grey ones and get an older style no tick safety and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:16:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top