Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2017 11:31:25 PM EDT
I have a SolidDoodle 2 3D printer and I've been meaning upgrade some of its parts. I'm CNC machining new parts to help add some more precision to the to printer as it shipped with 3D printed parts that had poor tolerances. The biggest issue it has is with printing round objects.

I thought making 66mm model rocket might be an ideal project to get me motivated.

Does anyone know of a firearm spring .etc that is like the AR15 hammer spring but thinner and as strong? I need them to deploy the fins and the AR hammer spring is likely too powerful and bulky. The AR trigger spring would be more ideal but it doesn't have enough range.

Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Ost
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:46:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm. This thing is 29mm, so it would be perfect!

G7-80T Blue Thunder Motor...

Hahaha.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:05:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmm. This thing is 29mm, so it would be perfect!

G7-80T Blue Thunder Motor...

Hahaha.
View Quote
I was thinking of a very lightweight replica that used the smallest motor possible lol. Likley a short duration E motor.

I'm trying to print a nosecone segment now after installing one of the newly machined parts to the 3D printer, its already printing smoother. Will be another 3 hours before it finishes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
What CNC are you using?  I'm saving up for a Tormach.  When I got my Bridgeport I thought I was done. Buuut...
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What CNC are you using?  I'm saving up for a Tormach.  When I got my Bridgeport I thought I was done. Buuut...
View Quote
I used a 3-axis desktop Taig for the parts upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I made a replica out of PVC pipe once, it worked like a charm.  WAY more accurate than I expected. 

IMO I'd make two kinds of rockets, ones that look like the real deal, and a second set (and more of) ones that are just simplified to be fun to shoot. 

On the one I makes I just used D rockets and did fins that fit the tube diameter Set of 4 up front and 4 in back with enough space for decent balance.  Was darn near POA/POI at 50 yards. 
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I made a replica out of PVC pipe once, it worked like a charm.  WAY more accurate than I expected. 

IMO I'd make two kinds of rockets, ones that look like the real deal, and a second set (and more of) ones that are just simplified to be fun to shoot. 

On the one I makes I just used D rockets and did fins that fit the tube diameter Set of 4 up front and 4 in back with enough space for decent balance.  Was darn near POA/POI at 50 yards. 
View Quote
That sounds cool, would enjoy seeing your setup. I planned on being able to 3D print spare parts and make multiple rockets, one for display.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL I wouldn't even know where to find it, made i a long time ago. 

Anyways, looking at the link put up above, looks like you can also buy re-loadable engines, and different solid fuels to fill them with. 

Also... on a lark I looked up what the LAW used for propellant... get this; 

" The smokeless propellants used in shoulder-launched ordnance are typically double base formulations of nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin. SMAW and M72 LAW use a well-known MIL-SPEC formulation called M7, which is widely used in various weapons systems." 

54.6% NC (13.15% N)35.5% NG
7.8% POTASSIUM PERCHLORATE
1.2% CARBON BLACK
.9% DIPHENYLAMINE

So... LOL there you go, just got to find a model rocket propellant that comes in around those percentages (if they make it, it's basically super bangy gun powder) 

Reading some patent application stuff, the LAW is like the AT4 where all the propellant is burnt up before leaving the tube. (at4 is a recoiless rifle in function, the M72 just has a huge nozzle) which is why the backblast is so significant. Especially for the AT4 due to it's larger diameter. 
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LOL I wouldn't even know where to find it, made i a long time ago. 

Anyways, looking at the link put up above, looks like you can also buy re-loadable engines, and different solid fuels to fill them with. 

Also... on a lark I looked up what the LAW used for propellant... get this; 

" The smokeless propellants used in shoulder-launched ordnance are typically double base formulations of nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin. SMAW and M72 LAW use a well-known MIL-SPEC formulation called M7, which is widely used in various weapons systems." 

54.6% NC (13.15% N)35.5% NG
7.8% POTASSIUM PERCHLORATE
1.2% CARBON BLACK
.9% DIPHENYLAMINE

So... LOL there you go, just got to find a model rocket propellant that comes in around those percentages (if they make it, it's basically super bangy gun powder) 

Reading some patent application stuff, the LAW is like the AT4 where all the propellant is burnt up before leaving the tube. (at4 is a recoiless rifle in function, the M72 just has a huge nozzle) which is why the backblast is so significant. Especially for the AT4 due to it's larger diameter. 
View Quote
The formulas used in Estes motors are not considered explosives, where that particular mixture would likely be a big no no lol.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#11]
If your going to consider working with reloadable motors (Ammonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant), I would make sure to use one of the shareware programs for checking stability of you rocket design.
Depending on weight and of your rocket and size of the motor, it may approach or exceed Mach (probably not in your case though).
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The formulas used in Estes motors are not considered explosives, where that particular mixture would likely be a big no no lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip
Probably. I was surprised that it had a lot in common with some smokeless gun powders though.  Way differnt ratios. 
The next thing down the chart it's close to is mortar propellant charges LOL. 

It's just funny to think "rocket launcher" and you think the model rocket engines with some fancy solid propellant, yet the real LAW rocket is basically a big piece of ammo with the bullet pulled belching the "explosion" out the back. 
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Probably. I was surprised that it had a lot in common with some smokeless gun powders though.  Way differnt ratios. 

It's just funny to think "rocket launcher" and you think the model rocket engines with some fancy solid propellant, yet the real LAW rocket is basically a big piece of ammo with the bullet pulled belching the "explosion" out the back. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

It's a lot safer for the operator since it's not spewing hot molten particles into their face, hence why I have to use very small motors. True man portable rockets don't ignite until they are thrown by a separate charge well ahead of the user.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:11:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Some of the dimensions are off because I've determined the side-profile schematic isn't accurate, I'm going back and reworking some of the parts. I made the tail-fin holders a little beefier as well, I'll slowly reduce them in size until I get an ideal balance between being robust and authentic.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok, you have my attention.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Not for nothing but for some reason I was browsing a lot on the rocketry forum and there have been a fair amount of  catastrophic explosions with the refillable motors.  There is the same risk with the cardboard and plaster motors but when they explode they don't have the metal shell for
Containment.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Believe I am satisfied with the motor housing and nozzle design. Going to print them now. Still need to find appropriate torsion springs for the fins.

Since the proportions on the drawings were a little off I am using the one seen in this photo for cross-reference

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Would it help if I let you borrow a real tail fin assembly?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Would it help if I let you borrow a real tail fin assembly?
View Quote
If you could get me the diameter measurements of the motor tube, the widest part of the nozzle, and the base of the nozzle where it is narrowest I bet I'd be all set.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is what I have now. Everything pieces together and had proper rocketry design for parachute deployment .etc
Likely will make some more adjustments to the nozzle area to help with 3D printing, but the warhead should be finished since it is based on the actual M72 tube diameter that I am able to measure.

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you could get me the diameter measurements of the motor tube, the widest part of the nozzle, and the base of the nozzle where it is narrowest I bet I'd be all set.
View Quote

Here you go, I opened up a new one for you:

The tube diameter is 1.658", the nozzle is 2.285" at its largest opening, and the base of the nozzle where it is narrowest is 1.265".  
    If you need any other measurements, just let me know.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Here you go, I opened up a new one for you:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/kkrad_photo/5145beba940518e0e96495b1b216218d.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/kkrad_photo/57a1f0fd41950440bf3f635d9f0b8f62.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn115/kkrad_photo/3509d1297a177951f8e7dbf6d60cec79.jpg

The tube diameter is 1.658", the nozzle is 2.285" at its largest opening, and the base of the nozzle where it is narrowest is 1.265".  
    If you need any other measurements, just let me know.
View Quote
Thanks a ton! That is exactly what I needed. Now all I need is to find some springs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Really cool project! I'd be a bit concerned with an E engine, but that's without knowing the weight and if you were doing this vertically or horizontally, etc etc. We had a rocket design project in college and even with B engines we got quite a bit of altitude with some rather heavy rockets.

Quoted:
True man portable rockets don't ignite until they are thrown by a separate charge well ahead of the user.
View Quote

Are you sure?
I know some of them (RPG-7, Panzerfaust 3, MBT LAW, ERYX)  do that, but I'm fairly certain that the M72, AT4, SMAW, and the RPG-29 fire off the main rocket inside the tubes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Really cool project! I'd be a bit concerned with an E engine, but that's without knowing the weight and if you were doing this vertically or horizontally, etc etc. We had a rocket design project in college and even with B engines we got quite a bit of altitude with some rather heavy rockets.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=squote&b=3&f=123&t=709984&r=7392790&page=1#
Are you sure?
I know some of them (RPG-7, Panzerfaust 3, MBT LAW, ERYX)  do that, but I'm fairly certain that the M72, AT4, SMAW, and the RPG-29 fire off the main rocket inside the tubes.
View Quote
From my understanding the M72 is more like firing a cartridge with a pulled bullet rather than a traditional rocket motor like you'd find on a sidewinder or stinger. A cooked off cartridge with only powder and no bullet will shoot forward due to the directed gases. With the M72 all the propellant is burned before it leaves the tube. Maybe it's kinda like having a black powder pipe bomb with one endcap open?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#25]
The warhead is finished with the exception of smoothing and painting. It is made up of 4 assembled parts, but I will reduce this to 3 parts on the next run. The two large segments have tabs for the rubber band retention and parachute strings. With the exception of finding suitable fin springs everything else is now up to how long it takes my 3D printer to make each part. These parts took about 8 hours to print.

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Those springs looks sorta like clothes pin springs.

Just sayin'.

Definitely not the same by any stretch but just pointing out the similarities.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Those springs looks sorta like clothes pin springs.

Just sayin'.

Definitely not the same by any stretch but just pointing out the similarities.
View Quote
Yes, I had noticed that too :-) but think they are too strong and don't have enough range of movement.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Checkout Lee Springs torsion springs.  I got some springs from them before for my 607 project, and was really happy with them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#30]
If anyone has photos of the actual warhead I have a question about what appears to be some tooling tabs on the nose and tip. Wondering how many there are. Looks like 4 on the tip and maybe 2 on the nose.

Here is what I have now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If anyone has photos of the actual warhead I have a question about what appears to be some tooling tabs on the nose and tip. Wondering how many there are. Looks like 4 on the tip and maybe 2 on the nose.

Here is what I have now.
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226828/IMG-9364-164458.jpg
View Quote

Here you go, there are four evenly spaced indentions on the nose cone, and three evenly spaced indentions on the body;

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Cool Thread.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Awesome! Thank You

I wasn't sure I was going to even model them, but I decided I would because one of them can be used for a guide rod hole.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I modeled the tabs into the nose cone and also added a guide rod tube hole

Next I'm looking for the following dimensions to get it perfect.

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226828/nose-repetier-2-165633.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226828/img-3758-165171.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226828/img-3755-165170.jpg
View Quote

B= 1.37"
C=   .90"
D= 1.275"
E= 1.175"

Please note that the top of the nose cone is NOT flat, but rather it is CONCAVE.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

B= 1.37"
C=   .90"
D= 1.275"
E= 1.175"

Please note that the top of the nose cone is NOT flat, but rather it is CONCAVE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226828/nose-repetier-2-165633.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226828/img-3758-165171.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226828/img-3755-165170.jpg

B= 1.37"
C=   .90"
D= 1.275"
E= 1.175"

Thank You, so much for all of your help. With this information the warhead design should be complete. About to start up the 3D printer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Once I finish this nose cone my new warhead will be ready. Time to go print this.

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks a ton! That is exactly what I needed. Now all I need is to find some springs.
View Quote
I'd say a $2 bag of spring clothespins should provide all you'll ever need.

ETA: already suggested.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice modeling. What software are you using? A 3D printer is a valuable tool.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nice modeling. What software are you using? A 3D printer is a valuable tool.
View Quote
Thanks, 3D Studio Max 6

I used to make my living working on Expansion Packs for flight simulators. My old company and website is www.skyunlimited.net
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#41]
@M16indiana

Do you think you could measure the width and length of one of the fins for me?

I just modeled them based on drawings and they just don't seem right.

The Diameter of the rear launcher tube is 2.54" And we know the main tube is 1.66"
That means the fins must be less than .44" wide?

Another measurement I might find useful is from the nozzle to the beginning of the threads, and to the end of the threads (overall length of motor) I'll be able to print you out something to fit your spare motors this way :-)

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@M16indiana

Do you think you could measure the width and length of one of the fins for me?

I just modeled them based on drawings and they just don't seem right.

The Diameter of the rear launcher tube is 2.54" And we know the main tube is 1.66"
That means the fins must be less than .44" wide?

Another measurement I might find useful is from the nozzle to the beginning of the threads, and to the end of the threads (overall length of motor) I'll be able to print you out something to fit your spare motors this way :-)

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/226828/fins-1-167023.jpg
View Quote
I really don't mind taking measurements for you, but would it not be easier if I just let you borrow one?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I really don't mind taking measurements for you, but would it not be easier if I just let you borrow one?
View Quote
I keep thinking they will be the last ones I need. I'm too eager to work to wait on snail mail lol, but it might be best to have one if I make you parts that will work with original.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm not sure if it would help you out much, but a guy over at the rpf made one for a Vietnam display including the rocket. I'll see if I can dig
Up that link. I am in the process of scratch building a Carl G. Non firing of course.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#45]
This has been a fun thread to watch. Thanks for showing all the work you have done.

I got a law tube last fall to go with my collection and could not find a replica rocket anywhere to go with it. I found one company that made display rockets for training purposes, but did not make this rocket.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll likely do a test launch in the next day or two. I'll be sure to record a video.
I'm also working on different methods to smooth up the 3D printed parts as I want the final product to look very realistic.

This is a very heavy rocket compared to most model rockets weighing nearly a pound with engine. The Schedule 40 1-1/4" PVC tube I am using adds a good bit of weight but saves a lot of 3D printing time.
Interesting thing is that the 1-1/4" PVC is the exact diameter of the real 66mm rocket motor tube.

Here is current launch performance calculations for vertical flight.
This is using an Estes D12 Motor. In comparison an Estes E9 could get 200ft and 70mph in vertical flight.

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#47]
It turned out very nice looking. Very cool. Looking forward to the video.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#48]
M72 LAW Light Anti-Tank Weapon 3D Printed Estes Model Rocket
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#49]
If you'd be willing to sell these I'd be interested in snagging one for display use at the military museum I work with. Any idea how much one would run someone if you did sell a completed one?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice job 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top