Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2017 2:59:46 PM EDT
Kit I ordered now im going to order my m16a1 reciever from brownells or nds. Want to get a retro brownells 1/7 20" for this build. Was think of going 604 only because im current air force but this will do! So excited!!!! Been a lurker here awhile now love seeing your builds.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same boat.  All I have are a couple A1 uppers.  Just waiting on the Brownells 20" retro barrels to come back in stock.  Still need all the rest as well.  I do have a no trap door stock but it would not be correct for the uppers I have.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Kit I ordered now im going to order my m16a1 reciever from brownells or nds. Want to get a retro brownells 1/7 20" for this build. Was think of going 604 only because im current air force but this will do! So excited!!!! Been a lurker here awhile now love seeing your builds.
View Quote

You definitely want to order a NDS-16A1 in XM Gray for that kit. A black lower will stand out like a sore thumb with that upper receiver. Also, I assume that you are wanting the 1/7 barrel in order to shoot heavier ammo than the M193. Is this correct?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat.  All I have are a couple A1 uppers.  Just waiting on the Brownells 20" retro barrels to come back in stock.  Still need all the rest as well.  I do have a no trap door stock but it would not be correct for the uppers I have.
View Quote

The new Brownells 20" 1/12 barrels are in stock.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes thats the only reason
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I love them
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember those kits were 299$ pre sandy hook
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The new Brownells 20" 1/12 barrels are in stock.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up!  So much for the e-mail notifications....
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up!  So much for the e-mail notifications....
View Quote

Brownells changed who they are getting these barrels from to Ballistic Advantage and the part numbers changed when they did that as well.

Sadly, you were waiting on a discontinued barrel with a discontinued part number and you were never going to get any notification.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#9]
What i type in for the the barrel I want?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Someone on here bought some 1/7 contract m16a1 barrels off numrichs or somewhere awhile back?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here is a 20" 1/7 pencil profile barrel. It is not an assembly, so you will have to have a .625" FSB installed. It will require taper pins as well. Here is a correct FSB kit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

On the Brownells site just type in A1 barrels, it brings up all of their retro barrels.

Though the 1/7 twist 20" inch barrels are not in stock or listed on the website yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Typing in A1 barrels brings up all of their retro barrels.

Though the 1/7 twist 20" inch barrels are not in stock or listed on the website yet.
View Quote

Here are the Brownells military barrels.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Here is a 20" 1/7 pencil profile barrel. It is not an assembly, so you will have to have a .625" FSB installed. It will require taper pins as well. Here is a correct FSB kit.
View Quote

Looks like lots of my kit comes with most of that if not all of it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Placed my order with dez arms! You guys have been very helpful thank you!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:03:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I remember those kits were 299$ pre sandy hook
View Quote

No Doubt. I sure wished I would have bought more back then. The kits I was buying were $259 and came with the free 100 rd drum. The quality of the ones I got was excellent. Sadly I've sold all the kits but one, did keep all the drums for some reason, even though they are not Retro.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Now im waiting for my lower 6 to 8 months from nds in xm grey
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an old pwa lower that technically is an a1 lower i guess im reading the differences but I could use that for this build if I wanted.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I already have an a1 reciever but its already on my m4gry and I snapped an ear off the lower installing a magpul trigger graud. The rifle and heres the other pwa I have an a2.  

Such a shame the a1 pwa on my modern rifle is damaged and hidden by stark grip. :( Oh yeah the barrel came in for this a1 build from dez.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well I already have an a1 reciever but its already on my m4gry and I snapped an ear off the lower installing a magpul trigger group. The rifle and heres the other pwa I have an a2.Such a shame the a1 pwa on my modern rifle is damaged and hidden by stark grip. :( Oh yeah the barrel came in for this a1 build from dez.
View Quote

M60 Joe could fix it, I don't know the pricing...

http://users.zoominternet.net/~m60/m16repair

http://users.zoominternet.net/~m60/homepage.htm
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Wish I would have bought a kit when they were lower; I cant afford spending >$1000 for an M16A1 clone now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#22]
"Repair one tab  $288.00

Make the mounting screw(s) hidden add $45.00

Air brush the repaired area with a baked on moly coating $70.00

Re finish the whole receiver with a air brushed baked on moly coating $138.00" what he wants for fixing the reciever. Ill stick with nodak lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Repair one tab  $288.00

Re finish the whole receiver with a air brushed baked on moly coating $138.00" what he wants for fixing the reciever. Ill stick with nodak lol
View Quote

Holy-chit!

NoDak for sure.

The repair actually didn't look that difficult. My dad could probably do it in his garage. I've seen him whittle out some aluminum with a hacksaw and some files and when he was finished it looked almost as good as something I would have machined at work.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"Repair one tab  $288.00

View Quote

Try HKILLER on this site.  He will be WAY cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#25]

All parts came in yesterday just need to have the gunsmith build my upper and sending my a1 reciever to hkiller. My son was born on the 21st so I was quite occupied!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:43:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like a nice retro build, make sure to post up pictures once it's completely done.  I'd like to see how that barrel looks on the build since it is a slightly different profile then the regular A1, probably won't be able to tell much difference.  It looks a little heavier out past the FSB, but the only thing I don't care for is that little step at the end of the barrel.  Having a lightweight 1/7 twist nitrated barrel is a nice touch though and I could see myself using that barrel on a more modern build.  

Another barrel to check out that is probably closer to the original profile is the Faxon Gunner, they have a 20" Gunner that is very close to the A1 profile but is the 1/8 twist which I actually prefer over the 1/7 but shouldn't make much difference.  The profile isn't an exact match on the A1, it is actually even lighter out front of the FSB.  I believe you can get them about the same price as the DEZ barrel or a little under and probably sub 200 on sale.  I don't have a 20" gunner but have other sizes and they are great barrels, extremely accurate and don't shift impact when they get hot like most other lightweights do.  Even though I prefer the nitrated barrels over chrome they don't look quite right on the retro builds so I would probably have to spray some rattle can finish of some sort over it to get the more grey color.  

My favorite retro barrel company would have to be Green Mountain though, they make some high quality products and are a top notch company.  It would be nice to see them offer an A1 profile in 1-7 or 1-8 for those that want them.  Most of the time I just shoot M193 or lighter so I don't mind the 1/12 all that much, and hope to even try out a couple 1/14's someday.  GM has their A1 barrels on sale this month for $150 in case anyone reading this is looking for one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Remember that M60 Joe is really catering to the guys with $20K registered receivers who can't just run out and get a new one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/predatory2k/20170325_184557_zpsjt4hs2rj.jpg

All parts came in yesterday just need to have the gunsmith build my upper and sending my a1 reciever to hkiller. My son was born on the 21st so I was quite occupied!
View Quote
I love receiving things like that in the mail. Best of luck on your build.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looks like a nice retro build, make sure to post up pictures once it's completely done.  I'd like to see how that barrel looks on the build since it is a slightly different profile then the regular A1, probably won't be able to tell much difference.  It looks a little heavier out past the FSB, but the only thing I don't care for is that little step at the end of the barrel.  Having a lightweight 1/7 twist nitrated barrel is a nice touch though and I could see myself using that barrel on a more modern build.  

Another barrel to check out that is probably closer to the original profile is the Faxon Gunner, they have a 20" Gunner that is very close to the A1 profile but is the 1/8 twist which I actually prefer over the 1/7 but shouldn't make much difference.  The profile isn't an exact match on the A1, it is actually even lighter out front of the FSB.  I believe you can get them about the same price as the DEZ barrel or a little under and probably sub 200 on sale.  I don't have a 20" gunner but have other sizes and they are great barrels, extremely accurate and don't shift impact when they get hot like most other lightweights do.  Even though I prefer the nitrated barrels over chrome they don't look quite right on the retro builds so I would probably have to spray some rattle can finish of some sort over it to get the more grey color.  

My favorite retro barrel company would have to be Green Mountain though, they make some high quality products and are a top notch company.  It would be nice to see them offer an A1 profile in 1-7 or 1-8 for those that want them.  Most of the time I just shoot M193 or lighter so I don't mind the 1/12 all that much, and hope to even try out a couple 1/14's someday.  GM has their A1 barrels on sale this month for $150 in case anyone reading this is looking for one.
View Quote

Yeah ill post a pictire up especoally when the upper is complete. I ordered the ehanced semi fcg and selector off psa.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Sucks about the lower man.

I decided buying the correct tool was cheaper than the cost and tears of breaking an A1 lower when I did mine.

Trust me, get the Roll Pin Pusher from Little Crow Gunworks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6G2ZfhYNkk

It honestly took me more time reading the directions, than doing the job.

Though add a piece of tape to each side to avoid marring the finish of the lower.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Remember that M60 Joe is really catering to the guys with $20K registered receivers who can't just run out and get a new one.
View Quote

true those prices are reasonable for them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sucks about the lower man.

I decided buying the correct tool was cheaper than the cost and tears of breaking an A1 lower when I did mine.

Trust me, get the Roll Pin Pusher from Little Crow Gunworks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6G2ZfhYNkk

It honestly took me more time reading the directions, than doing the job.

Though add a piece of tape to each side to avoid marring the finish of the lower.
View Quote
I backed it with a piece of wood on my a2 lower and got that magpul ehanced trigger guard installed long time ago, and all fcg moved over from this reciever that was on my carbine. No more stupid stark grip! All magpul now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Damage on lower

Hkiller's grey anodize in comparison to Colt trigger guard for color and repair.

Once I receiver lower I will share pictures of the completed lower. Still need to bring my gunsmith out of Warrensburg my upper components. I will share that too and pictures of complete rifle. Slowly but surely its getting there. I saw a member on here out of the Burg who makes 607 stocks. I did not know there were many hobbyist out there and my gun smith there is the fella who owns Sky Pilot gunsmithing. I used to live in that area off DD highway while I was active USAF. Still go to drill there with the Air guard but looking at going Army Guard soon possibly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#34]
photo bucket album for this build

Hkiller got the color done GOOD!

Yes thats an enhanced semi fcg from palmetto it feels nice to the touch I am looking forward to this build being completed half way done!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#35]

It was completed yesterday!!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Delete
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#37]
The rifle looks very good, and you figured out the picture posting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#38]
It turned out well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Love the way it turned out will follow up with a range report asap!! Cant wait to shoot this awesone gun! Ive wanted one a long time and here it is. Nice to be in the retro crowd!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice looking rifle, congratulations on your son too!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:Was think of going 604 only because im current air force but this will do!
View Quote
Funny, I have an A1 that I built a couple of years ago, to represent the rifle that I carried while I was in the Army. Now, I want to do another build. I had thought about doing a 604 but couldn't bring myself to do an Air Force rifle, Go Army! lol

Seriously though, I wanted to stick with the Army, so I'm doing an XM16E1. I'm going to get an 80% from NoDak and build from that, and will likely go with the same kit you got, for the upper.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Im actually trying to go army guard right now. I didnt wanna chase the 604 parts all down. Ive always liked the a1 with the good features so im happy. Thank you my son is a blessing! I consider these rifles to the muscle cars of ar15 sure theyre not really powerful in terms of the round but the classic styling. All parts in my kit were decent quality I guess I lucked out but the guy was late shipping mine so he might have sent me a good kit. Dunno according to some commenters here what a country can be hit and miss? Thinking of an a2 build in the future it was putting this one together Eugene Stoner was a genius they not very complex either.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Im actually trying to go army guard right now. I didnt wanna chase the 604 parts all down. Ive always liked the a1 with the good features so im happy. Thank you my son is a blessing! I consider these rifles to the muscle cars of ar15 sure theyre not really powerful in terms of the round but the classic styling. All parts in my kit were decent quality I guess I lucked out but the guy was late shipping mine so he might have sent me a good kit. Dunno according to some commenters here what a country can be hit and miss? Thinking of an a2 build in the future it was putting this one together Eugene Stoner was a genius they not very complex either.
View Quote
Aside from wanting a rifle like the one I carried during my time in the Army, I'm building a US Service Rifle collection. I have an 1873 Trapdoor, an 1898 Krag, and an M1 Garand (Receiver dates to 1943) but I need a 1903. Then I have an M1A, dressed up in an M14 stock and I have my retro M16A1 an A2 and an M4. The XM16E1 will go between the M1A and the M16A1 (AR). I'll also fill in some of the other rifles, like an M1 Carbine and maybe a Thompson (semi-auto).
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top