Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2017 4:13:37 AM EDT
I found this a1 upper with a forward assist, case deflector, and a1 rear sight. Can someone shed some light on this for me? It has a "C" and an "H" forge codes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
C H should be Colt Harvey and is the foundry code.

Your receiver is of the C7 type which originated from a Canadian requirement.  They wanted the case deflector but retain the A1 style sights.  This receiver was never adopted by the US military but does have a following among US shooters who like this configuration.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a factory built 723 using this upper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Those are actually A2 uppers with "field sights".
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those are actually A2 uppers with "field sights".
View Quote

This is the correct terminology. These were developed as part of the M16A2 series of weapons. They are referred to as A1E1 or C7 (Canadian designation) uppers. They have been used on the later Model 723s and Model 733s. Earlier models of these had M16A1 type uppers. Eventually, these uppers were replaced by the M16A2 upper with a rear sight adjustable for elevation and windage. To my knowledge, there was never a rifle with the A1E1/C7 upper issued to the U.S. military.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Large or normal size pivot pin hole? I'm not saying all, but many of the "C H" C7 receivers I've seen are SP2 receivers.

Example:

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Large or normal size pivot pin hole? I'm not saying all, but many of the "C H" C7 receivers I've seen are SP2 receivers.

Example:

http://moonborn.com/media/upls/2016/06/pix638852416.jpg
View Quote

Yep. Most of the original Colt A1E1/C7 upper did not have forge codes. They had the proof marks in front of the port door area.

Here is one I have. You can see the proof marks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of our replacements had these during the first gulf war.  I was surprise to see these being issued to 11 Bravo.  I myself inspected their weapons.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Not true!   Some were issued to our replacement during the first gulf war.  I myself inspected the weapon's while in Iraq.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a Police-Trade Bushmaster carbine with this type of upper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some of our replacements had these during the first gulf war.  I was surprise to see these being issued to 11 Bravo.  I myself inspected their weapons.
View Quote

Thats what I understand too.  They were replacement parts and also COTS purchases.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Example:

http://moonborn.com/media/upls/2016/06/pix638852416.jpg
View Quote

Pretty sure they're normal sized holes, because the front and rear holes are the same size.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pretty sure they're normal sized holes, because the front and rear holes are the same size.
View Quote

You should check. If the pivot pin hole is .315" and the takedown pin hole is .250", then it is a Sporter II upper receiver. If they are both .250", then it is most likely an upper produced for a military model.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top