Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 11:05:18 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been discussed before, anyone have a quick tutorial or infographic available?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#1]
try this if your refinishing  

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

or CLP or PB blaster or kroil (aka panther piss) and 000 steal wool
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I soak it in toilet bowl rust stain remover. That helps really knock off the chunky stuff. Then drip some down the roll pin. After a few hours of that I switch to kroil to loosen everything. Getting the roll pin out can be tricky. Go slow and don't beat on it too much. Once the pin is out the base is still usually firmly in place. I use pliers to twist and pull it out. That has worked for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Take your time.  I cracked one and broke the end completely off of another.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I got my swivel off but could not get the pin to budge from the post that's in the buttstock so I left the post and just swapped in a new swivel.  BTW I beat on that pin pretty hard, hard enough to bend my punch but I stopped after that as I didn't want to ruin my stock.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]
After three or four applications of PB blaster, gun oil, and CLP it finally worked it's way loose. Now I just can't find the roll pin to reinstall it!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top