Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2017 8:04:36 PM EDT
For my first AR, I decided to build a retro-ish rifle. There were two problems: first, I'm left-handed, which means I really should find a C7 upper. That hasn't happened. Second, I'm a college student without the space or money for a bench, vise, torque wrenches, and everything else required to assemble an upper. I decided that an A2 upper really was close enough, and that if I find a C7 in the future, it will get swapped on. As-is, I'm pretty happy with what I'm calling my 'A1.5'. The rifle-length gas system is a lot more controllable than the M4geries I've shot in the past- unpleasant experiences with M4geries and their poor handling characteristics made me put off building an AR for quite a while. I love the balance and long sight radius as well, and the A1 furniture fits me like a glove. I'm 6'0", and the A1 stock LOP even works with plates.

The rifle herself was built off- a Del-Ton 20" lightweight kit I purchased during their Black Friday sale, with an Anderson stripped lower and original Colt or otherwise A1 furniture. Total cost before sling and magazines was just under $600. Reliability is 100% after 320 rounds of mixed Tula and AmEagle 55gr FMJ. Given as I just bought a couple of grips, handguard sets, and a stock on EvilBay, I think I may have contracted RBRD- a 655 clone might be happening this summer...

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I like a2s with light barrels.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle, but what is the hammer for?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice rifle, but what is the hammer for?
View Quote

I don't have a non-marring hammer, and a rubber mallet didn't cut it on roll pins, so I used a carpenter's hammer with my punch to get the darned things started. Yes, I'm a bit ashamed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, and the A1 pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't have a non-marring hammer, and a rubber mallet didn't cut it on roll pins, so I used a carpenter's hammer with my punch to get the darned things started. Yes, I'm a bit ashamed.
View Quote

At least you are honest
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks nice, OP. I just helped put 2 together for friends recently. A2 lowers, A1 everything else, best we could. They love em, and they are fun to shoot.

Have fun building.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it works, OK. I've used some pretty interesting stuff to start and seat roll pins when I didn't have the right tools handy.
Including a carpenters hammer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
at least the F/A lug's been machined off the hammer. gotta watch that evil intent.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like the rifle. It's a retroesque "tool" and as your situation changes I'm sure you will be carrying the retro torch forward to future generations!

Keep your stick on the ice!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Of course that is not like anything every issued but it is a damn nice rifle.  Good job!

I have an extra A2 upper laying around and I am thinking of putting together a rifle just like the one you have.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I've done a few "pseudo" retros - Build what you like.

I did one similar to yours only used round handguards - In the 80s, people were trashing their triangle handguards to get one of the "new" A2 round styles.  When I tried round rifle handguards for the first time in the early mid 80s, I said "wow" those are great.  Funny how we change our minds of what is "in" and cool.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Folks messing with their gear to seem "with it" is nothing new, that's for sure.

Good news is, I think I have a line on a C7 upper. Is anyone here within driving distance of Phelps County, MO and willing to help a fellow Arfcommer pull a barrel and swap it onto a new upper?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, my C7 upper is in the mail, thanks to TacticalTurtle. I'm trying to find someone who can help me swap out uppers, and applied a graphite dry-lube finish to my lower. It is actually a pretty good color and finish match to a BTDT Colt Grey unit; I'm fairly pleased.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Swapping uppers is cake.
If no tools/help send it to ADCO machine, gtg.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool looking rifle, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I found a local gunsmith who did the upper swap for $45. I'll be investing in a set of proper tools this summer. My teardrop forward assist came in today; I installed it this evening with the aid of a lot of white lithium grease.

She's basically a 603 with a C7 upper (I'm a southpaw). I may replace the delta ring with a flat slip ring if one crosses my path, but I'm pretty happy as-is. I have a complete second set of furniture I hand-painted with something like tigerstripe pattern, as well as an extra grip and handguard set that I think I will let grow into a 655 or similar retro DMR this summer when my cashflow improves.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool. I kinda like C7 uppers.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#20]
It's a nice rifle.  I love the way those light barrel 20" rifles handle
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top