Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 11:19:31 AM EDT
Other than Olympic is there any other source for cast FSB's?

Sure like to have a real .625 but think I'll have to settle for an aftermarket .750.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Sure like to have a real .625 but think I'll have to settle for an aftermarket .750.

Thanks!
View Quote

I have had a WTB ad for a cast front sight in the EE off and on for two years now.  In that time, I was able to purchase ONE for my 602, and stll need one more for my early 604.  That being said, in that same two year period, THREE different ones showed up in the EE, and all three immediatly sold (for less than I was willing to pay).  So, it would just be luck to find an original. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Olympic is no longer a source. They are closed for good in 10 days.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It took the better part of 2yrs to find mine as well, had to pay up once it was made available to me but I'm sure I can get my money out of it, should I ever need too..
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I like trying to find them attached to Colt barrels.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

I may run another batch of the oly. This spring. I have found new .625 fsbs but needed the $$
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
JT just got done working on that NOS Colt barrel I got as a gift, turning it into an XM16E1 barrel, complete with reworking the gift forged FSB & taper pins I sent him, along with a 3 prong, sling swivel, and front sight parts. I think it will pass most folks' approval. Why not go that route?

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I may run another batch of the oly. This spring.
View Quote

Man that would be great. Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't know my way around too much retro, but there is an early Colt fsb with flashing removed  on the EE now.
May be of interest? ???
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't know my way around too much retro, but there is an early Colt fsb with flashing removed  on the EE now.
May be of interest? ???
View Quote

That is a totally different critter than a cast front sight.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is a totally different critter than a cast front sight.
View Quote

Told you I didn't know my way around retro
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a cast fsb available in the EE.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup saw it in their earlier under used upper receiver section. 40 bucks , almost posted that I'd take it but I'm just going to send a brownells barrel to JT and have him rework it. I've got a kid on the way and am trying keep the cost of this build under a certain amount.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Again, the one in the EE is NOT what we refer to as a cast front sight
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#14]
This might be what you seek. Forged .625 FSBs

Non-F marked: http://www.fulton-armory.com/front-sight-base-forged-w-bayo-lug-625-for-early-pencil-barrel.aspx
F marked: http://www.fulton-armory.com/front-sight-base-forged-w-bayo-lug-625-for-early-pencil-barrel-1.aspx

But you'll have to drill the holes for the pins. Or have a smith do it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This might be what you seek. Forged .625 FSBs

Non-F marked: http://www.fulton-armory.com/front-sight-base-forged-w-bayo-lug-625-for-early-pencil-barrel.aspx
F marked: http://www.fulton-armory.com/front-sight-base-forged-w-bayo-lug-625-for-early-pencil-barrel-1.aspx

But you'll have to drill the holes for the pins. Or have a smith do it.
View Quote

FORGED is NOT the same as CAST
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]

I think cast FSBs look like this
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn retro noobs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

FORGED is NOT the same as CAST
View Quote

I was thinking the OP only said Cast because he couldn't find forged ones. There is a reason why only Olympic would be the only fuckers make a cast FSB, and not all the other ACTUAL highly respected AR15 product makers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was thinking the OP only said Cast because he couldn't find forged ones. There is a reason why only Olympic would be the only fuckers make a cast FSB, and not all the other ACTUAL highly respected AR15 product makers.
View Quote
You're in the retro forum. We're aware of the shortcomings of cast parts, but we also understand that they are a critical component of certain early clones.  The cast FSB looks different than the millions of forged FSBs, and there's really no acceptable substitute for someone interested in authenticity.
But thanks for stopping by.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Learned me a little more retro today.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been sitting on a cast .750 FSB for a few years. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've been sitting on a cast .750 FSB for a few years. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet.
View Quote

Keep it for that early retro you'll do someday.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, that would be an Olympic, as theirs were .750.  The original Colts were .625 and are the holy grail of retro front sights.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top