Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 10:38:50 AM EDT
Retro Gurus.... I come seeking knowledge:

I traded into a 1967 vintage SP1 serial number 98XX and have a couple of questions.  The rifle is like new and shows little or no wear.  All external pieces check out correct, internally I'm not so sure....

1).  The bolt carrier is slick sided (no FA notches) but it is also Full Auto neutered.  There is no "C" mark on it either.  Is it correct?

2).  The hammer is not M-16 but a semi auto style, is that correct?

3).  The bolt is marked "MP" which seems correct...

Thank you for your help....
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Retro Gurus.... I come seeking knowledge:

I traded into a 1967 vintage SP1 serial number 98XX and have a couple of questions.  The rifle is like new and shows little or no wear.  All external pieces check out correct, internally I'm not so sure....

1).  The bolt carrier is slick sided (no FA notches) but it is also Full Auto neutered.  There is no "C" mark on it either.  Is it correct?

2).  The hammer is not M-16 but a semi auto style, is that correct?

3).  The bolt is marked "MP" which seems correct...

Thank you for your help....
View Quote

I have two 1967 SP1's, and they both have all of the features you describe.  Your magwell will also have a "+" on it, and the roll pin hole for your buffer tube will only be drilled on one side
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you M16, my lower is as you describe.  It also has the Edgewater buffer.  Glad to know it's all as it should be....
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you M16, my lower is as you describe.  It also has the Edgewater buffer.  Glad to know it's all as it should be....
View Quote

You are welcome. I forgot to mention the edgewater - I'm glad nobody switched it out.  Congratulations on your nice "C&R" SP1 purchase. It's value won't do anything but go up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
1967 here as well, and I agree with the above post. You got a good one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have two 1967 SP1's, and they both have all of the features you describe.  Your magwell will also have a "+" on it, and the roll pin hole for your buffer tube will only be drilled on one side
View Quote

You need to share.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
OP:  Your pics aren't uploading.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP:  Your pics aren't uploading.
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone mentioned how bad photobucket sucks these days?

Here she is:

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a great looking SP1. Congrats!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice, thanks for the detail pics. You have one of the lowers where the buffer tube retaining pin isn't machined through, very cool
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Very nice, thanks for the detail pics. You have one of the lowers where the buffer tube retaining pin isn't machined through, very cool
View Quote

Both of my 1967 SP1's are like that too.  I think 1967 must have been when they quit pinning the buffer tubes, and the hole in one side of the receiver is just the pilot hole.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Both of my 1967 SP1's are like that too.  I think 1967 must have been when they quit pinning the buffer tubes, and the hole in one side of the receiver is just the pilot hole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

I have pics of XM16E1 SN 558096 with the hole all the way through, and SN 667458 with only the pilot hole, so it was somewhere in there.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top