Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2017 3:59:02 PM EDT
For those buying the Brownells retro barrel assemblies, they are coming with A2 front sight posts. If you need an A1 front sight post, call Slim at Indiana Army Surplus (812-275-2801). He has about ten of them left. If you call him, tell him that James sent you. This way he knows how you heard about them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to know.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For those buying the Brownells retro barrel assemblies, they are coming with A2 front sight posts. If you need an A1 front sight post, call Slim at Indiana Army Surplus (812-275-2801). He has about ten of them left. If you call him, tell him that James sent you. This way he knows how you heard about them.
View Quote

I did not know these had the wrong sight post. I am running into trouble at every turn on my builds. My GM barrels had to have sight post installed and the Colt post I got are going to need to be welded and redone. I'm thinking I should sell all my kits and move on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I did not know these had the wrong sight post. I am running into trouble at every turn on my builds. My GM barrels had to have sight post installed and the Colt post I got are going to need to be welded and redone. I'm thinking I should sell all my kits and move on.
View Quote

I'll give ya fifty bucks for them...
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like you are confusing front sight posts for front sight bases... The Brownells barrels have front sight bases but they have A2 front sight posts installed in them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'll give ya fifty bucks for them...
View Quote

50+50+50+50x2+50+50+50+50+50+50+50 and we might have a deal!!!

The retro world is an awesome world. But a tough one to be in when parts do not work. Brownells has gotten me twice now. Carbine barrels with wrong end caps and now rifle barrels with wrong sight post.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

A front sight post is what goes into the front sight base.

This shows an A1 front sight post in a front sight base.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think I'd get worked up enough to sell a barrel because it has the wrong post in it . You can change it out in less then 30 seconds, not much more complicated then tying your shoes.  Just push the front sight detent in and unscrew the post, insert new post and screw it down in.  

Now the front sight base I can understand, but I think people over complicate it a little as well.  I doubt it'd be as easy using one with the holes already drilled but using a virgin barrel/base it's relatively easy.  All you need is a 8/32 tap and set screw, and a drill press and 2/0 taper reamer and drill bit.  This was actually even easier then I thought it'd be from reading everyone else making a FSB install into a big thing.  This is what worked for me- I installed the barrel to receiver, slid the FSB on the barrel, turned it upside down and sit it on a level surface.  The carrying handle sits on the surface flat thereby aligning the FSB level with it.  No fancy tools needed there, then I installed a set screw into the hole above the sling swivel hole and tightened it to the barrel.  This allows you to go sight in the rifle first before pinning, although I found it unnecessary as it was already aligned well from sitting it on the flat surface with the carry handle.  Then you clamp it level below your drill press and drill through the front section, then ream it and install the taper pin, remove the set screw and do the same to the rear.

You can not see where the base was threaded for the set screw since the sling swivel goes directly below it, but even then it is the same size hole and not really noticeable.  This was also the first time I used a tap and it was very easy, just clamped the FSB level in a vice and turned the tap into it a few times with lots of oil and it was done.  It's already the correct hole size for 8/32 tap so no need in drilling it larger.  I know this was slightly off topic but maybe it can help someone else that is unsure of trying it themselves due to everyone acting like you have to be an expert machinist to install one and pay others lots of money to do it.  For someone who isn't used to doing any work with their hands then I'd advise against it but for most it should be very doable.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

50+50+50+50x2+50+50+50+50+50+50+50 and we might have a deal!!!

The retro world is an awesome world. But a tough one to be in when parts do not work. Brownells has gotten me twice now. Carbine barrels with wrong end caps and now rifle barrels with wrong sight post.
View Quote

What?

Barrel extension?  http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrel-hardware/barrel-extension-parts/ar-15-m16-m4-barrel-extension-prod31793.aspx
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:08:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry I missed understood the post. I was thinking sight post and not the actual sight itself. I understand now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:55:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't think anyone normally refers to the sight block as a post so in the future to make things simpler when you see sight post it means the sight itself that screws down into the base.  And when you read sight base, that means the whole assembly also commonly known as FSB.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top