Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2017 2:22:22 PM EDT
OK! this has been talked about for a while now.
Over and over, but I don't give up easy.
So! Please just go along with me on this. Thank You.

I keep buying Mid length pencil barrels and I am needing some mid length triangle hand guards.
I have put the round hand guards on them, but that is not the look that I am wanting.

I don't have rifle triangle hand guards that I want to cut up.
I would like to be able to just send someone a Money order and they send me a set or 2 of the mid length triangle hand guards with cap.

Just two sets to start off with, later I am going to need several more sets of them.

This may just be a pipe dream on my part, but I am going to keep asking.
I know there are others that are wanting the same.

I bought some for the carbine hand guards already and they look and work fine.

This is what I am wanting to build with the mid length barrels.

Thanks again,
Ron

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The ones pictured are standard handguards cut down to size. That part it easy. The hard part is getting someone on here like Heatnbeat to fabricate the proper sized rear cap to fit the cut handguards, like an oversized 607 rear cap.
Nobody I know of is making a drop-in triangle midlength.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, You are correct about no one makes the mid-length triangle hand guards that I am aware of.
I guess I was not clear,(sorry) I have seen what you talking about. (What I want is not quite like the picture)
The ones I want have the triangle hand guards cut in the front end ( next to the FSB) and a cap made to fit there.
I have seen them made that way and they look and fit better to me.
That is why I am looking for some one to take the triangle hand guards and cut to fit into a newly made front cap.
This way there is not any glass work other than cutting off a section off the front (About 3-1/2"+or-) and slide it into the front cap.
The front cap is what would have to be fabricated.

Thanks
Ron
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Jhud used to make them cutting from the front. He doesn't anymore because of the toxic dust. I personally like the rear cut look. It's thinner and gives the rifle cleaner lines, plus it's a legitimate prototype configuration. Somebody here will hook you up with a cap I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jhud used to make them cutting from the front. He doesn't anymore because of the toxic dust. I personally like the rear cut look. It's thinner and gives the rifle cleaner lines, plus it's a legitimate prototype configuration. Somebody here will hook you up with a cap I'm sure.
View Quote

Yes, I contacted Jhud already.
I think they may have used a phenolic resin in making the triangle hand guards.
I cannot do glass work any more.
I built custom Corvettes for a few years in the 70's and I can't be in the same building where glass work is being done.
I really enjoyed it, but my breathing is better without doing it.

My goal is to get some hand guards for me and maybe someone here can think this out better and develop it into a way for them to make some money.
I am thinking there is a market for them.

Thanks again for your help.
Ron
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Ron:

In the 2015 Secret Santa exchange, jhud gifted me what he had labeled as a mid length rear hand guard cap.  It's excess to my needs, and I've been meaning to offer it up on pay-it-forward but just haven't gotten around to it.  

If you can use it, shoot me an IM or email thru the site and I'll send it along to you as a pay-it-forward.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ron:

In the 2015 Secret Santa exchange, jhud gifted me what he had labeled as a mid length rear hand guard cap.  It's excess to my needs, and I've been meaning to offer it up on pay-it-forward but just haven't gotten around to it.  

If you can use it, shoot me an IM or email thru the site and I'll send it along to you as a pay-it-forward.
View Quote

Thank You so much. IM sent.
I will put something in the PIF.

Ron
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Ron, IM in-bond.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ron, IM in-bond.
View Quote

Craig, Got it, Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/608105903

I contacted this dude to make a front end cap & he cut a set of triangular handguards--I was very pleased with the work in my 16" midlength retro project.

Sorry I don't consistently hot link well.l
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/608105903

I contacted this dude to make a front end cap & he cut a set of triangular handguards--I was very pleased with the work in my 16" midlength retro project.

Sorry I don't consistently hot link well.l
View Quote

Ron I believe that is the person that I gave you contact info for.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the skinny end better too Delete.

It's not that hard to roll your own.

No need for a special made cap on either end!

I trimmed the front and then filed a new recess for the front cap.

Then JB Welded a strip of the scrap piece inside the cut on the back of the guards and then filed the strips down until it fit inside a XM177 rear cap.

Only thing I would do different if/when I do another set is make the tab that goes inside the XM rear cap a lot thicker and trim a twaat hair more off the back because I have to take the FSB off to get these suckers on and off!

I don't know if 1/8" shorter would allow them to go on without taking the FSB off. I made the back end "tooth" the same 1/4" as the rest of the teeth. There has to be a LITTLE tooth left to keep the scallops even looking and not have a bit of scallop gone at the back.

If I had butt tons of guards to fornicate with I might try cutting the guards at an angle with the bottom being a bit shorter than the top. That might give me a little mor clearance and seems to me that it would raise the top up some and more closely resemble the guards in the original.

That exact model is on my deeply desire list. I even have the bayo lug to mount where the sling swivel stud is!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top