Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2017 8:33:16 PM EDT
I have an late SP1 that I am trying to restore, Were the late SP1/SPII hammers different from the current Colt semi hammers?  I have the original semi bolt carrier, and I want to make sure the hammer i get is compatable
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an late SP1 that I am trying to restore, Were the late SP1/SPII hammers different from the current Colt semi hammers?  I have the original semi bolt carrier, and I want to make sure the hammer i get is compatable
View Quote

late sp1 hammers were marked with a C and a number and notched.  i don't know if the colt hammers of today are notched.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
they are
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they are
View Quote

cool should be good to go then.  markings may be different but no reason why functionally it won't work.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I installed one, and it appears to be hanging up on the bottom of the carrier
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I installed one, and it appears to be hanging up on the bottom of the carrier
View Quote

your firing pin a semi auto with the smaller collar or full auto with larger collar?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
small collar
it hangs up on the edges of the area that is milled out.  I wonder if the original SP1 hammers were slightly thinner.  I looked at some photos on the web, and the tail appears shorter
ETA: Found an old post, apparently the original SP1 hammers are slightly different than the new semi ones
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I tracked down a SP1 hammer (on the top), it is slightly taller than the current semi hammer (on the bottom) and does not hang up on the BCG like the previous hammer did.  It appears that the semi BC was designed to work with this hammer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder why Colt still uses notched hammers. With this thread as proof, Colt's current notched hammers serve no purpose... Not even for backwards compatibility with their old semi only carriers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I tracked down a SP1 hammer (on the top), it is slightly taller than the current semi hammer (on the bottom) and does not hang up on the BCG like the previous hammer did.  It appears that the semi BC was designed to work with this hammer.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/lcsert416/IMG_0374_zpsksgececv.jpg
View Quote

Should work with either. There are some small collar firing pins made with too large of a collar and measure between a 16 collar and an sp1 collar size.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top