Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2017 8:49:25 PM EDT
It looks like they cleaned out the archive posts. too bad I know this was sin there.

I am looking to refinish a Portuguese AR10 butt stock and trying to find the correct color. Any help would be appreciated.

This is the color I am trying to match
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#1]
OK, the smartass in me wants to say that's "brown." Unfortunately, I don't know if anyone here has replicated the color from modern paint. (HHollow may have info.)

To make up for the useless answer, though, I'll at least make sure you have a link to a search for "AR10" at the National Military Museum of the Netherlands. (Note there are multiple pages of search results, with plenty of good photos.) 
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks really close to the bakelite brown that John Thomas uses on his 601 stocks and handguards.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Please don't do it, more good furniture has been ruined by repainting. Nothing looks more out of place than a battlefield pickup with a shinny new stock. A tasteful field expedient repair with just the repaired areas painted or blended into the stocks current condition is the way to go, glass only, no bondo please!!!! Some Daimler - Benz browns with a heavy plumb base will be closest however in that variant pictured with the Dutch making many replacement stocks in small batches themselves there is no real "one" color depending on your stock. Which variant stock do you have, sheet fiberglass, injection molded, Dutch repro matte fiberglass?

ETA,
If the stock pictured is the one to be fixed please don't do anything to the outside. It is a rare example in good shape of a fragile part, it appears that a repair has been attempted from a look at the sling swivel hole. We are stewards of these museum pieces as they pas through time, less than ten thousand were made of all variants, this piece is very rare please be a conservator, condition is everything and unrestored is a premium that cannot be undone. Never modify original parts.

Sorry, rant off.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The stock on my Portuguese AR10 has a small crack in it.  
When I had John Thomas do some work related to the mag catch, he looked into repairing it and painting it for me.  
He has experience refinishing these and would be the best person to contact.

I ended up not having the stock repaired.  Not that I didn't trust John's work (I do), but even with damage, its only original once and I didn't want it modified.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The stock on my Portuguese AR10 has a small crack in it.  
When I had John Thomas do some work related to the mag catch, he looked into repairing it and painting it for me.  
He has experience refinishing these and would be the best person to contact.

I ended up not having the stock repaired.  Not that I didn't trust John's work (I do), but even with damage, its only original once and I didn't want it modified.
View Quote

Veltro's stock is one of the rare original polycarbonate ones, as compared to the heavy fiberglas replacements put on while the rifle was in service.  The original polycarbonate was dyed brown.  The replacements were painted a color of brown that was lighter than the original polycarbonate.

Its great to keep your original stock but sooner or later small pieces will begin to fall off.  The photo at the top of this thread shows the outcome - a fragment the size of a quarter detaches from a weak spot near some internal hardware.  The stock failure is exacerbated by shotting the rifle but also happens with age.  There are numerous cases of unfired museum rifles and cut-away's where the stock has ugly cracks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
How about just reinforcing the crack/chip area with some clear epoxy? If done carefully it should maintain the integrity of the area yet not really affect the originality. Just my .02 and worth exactly what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Epoxy would work.

Here is a Portuguese buttstock on an unfired cutaway rifle.  Cracked like hell.

Link Posted: 1/10/2017 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#8]
John Thomas has the exact color, it's called Porto Olive iirc.

I had him paint a set of furniture for my retro-ish AR10

I'd give him a shout
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Some Porto AR-10s have a burnt orange color.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Portos came from the factory with unpainted polycarbonate stocks.  Those original stocks were brown.

The replacement stocks are painted various colors.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

No Ports were orange, early transitionals had dyed wood handguards that looked like orange-ish US arsenal M1/M14 birch wood.

Photo courtesy of HHollow
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys.
No the rifle in the picture is not the rifle I am repairing.
While I appreciate the idea of not messing with a slightly worn stock, that is not the case here. I have a worn plastic AR10 stock I am planning on rejuvenating.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top