Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Besides the damaged Brownell's retro barrel I received, I didn't get a set of two AR15 firing pins from Brownell's that were to arrive on the same day as my barrel did. I guess it's sitting at the USPS facility here in Las Vegas.
Today is a federal holiday, so no delivery today. Too many people handling a package is not good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, Saturday has come and gone and still no barrel delivered from the USPS. Still showing "in-transit to destination". Good ole USPS. They cannot seem to scan and deliver anything with any consistency. Brownells should use UPS and not the USPS. UPS is much more dependable.
View Quote

I live about 2 hours away from Brownells and in the same state and I ordered 3 mags the other day. It took over 5 working days and three states worth of traveling to get me my 3 mags.
If they would have used UPS ground or USPS Mail  I could of had it in 2 days max.  Instead they used FEDEX then transferred it to the US postal system.

left Brownells in Grinnell IA,  to Ottumwa, IA to Chicago IL, to Lexon KS, to Milian IL, then to my post office  in S.E. IOWA ...... That's just crazy
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#3]
So, it sounds like it wouldn't be smart to order two barrels at the same time because they could end up clanking together the whole way?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I got my barrels in today. They said it would be tomorrow but USPS dropped them off today. I guess they have a delivery service just packages. My dad said a few months ago he sees to mail men in the area. I didn't know they were doing that.

The barrels look good. They have them marked 1:12 and chrome lined. No maker that I can see. The barrels are package different than the 12.5 and 14.5 barrels. They are packed in a plastic sealed bag and has oil on it. Flat slip ring and everything looks correct. the sight post has markings but can't make it out through the bag. I will see what it is later when I get them out and cleaned.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
My 12.7 arrived last week in that same crude little box. thankfully, it was shorter and made no effort to vacate the box. Seems like an odd way to package stuff.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Brownell's has been in touch with me via e-mail. They have credited by VISA for the damaged barrel, and I am waiting for FedEx to come and pick up the barrel and box. So that's good. The lady handling my
refund said they would be filing a damage claim with FedEx, and I thought the problem isn't FedEx, but rather Brownell's as the barrel wasn't properly packed in the first place.

As for the two AR-15 firing pins I ordered, the tracking info they sent me indicates that the firing pins have been here in Las Vegas, NV. since January 12th, but were not delivered on January 14th like the tracking
info indicated. Maybe today. I think that too many different people handling a shipment isn't good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone got one of the new  12.7 barrels yet ? If so inspect the bore and tell me what you think about the rifling . Im no expert but Mine doesn't look that good to me ,it looks uneven and flat in some places .
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally received my new 20" barrel this afternoon. It was packaged real well and the barrel is sealed in a plastic and wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap.

ETA: This morning (1/18), I cleaned it up a bit, installed the lock washer and birdcage FH, and installed a correct A1 front sight post.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Any idea when the 20" 1/7 twist barrels will be coming in?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I finally received my new 20" barrel this afternoon. It was packaged real well and the barrel is sealed in a plastic and wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap.
View Quote

Mine was package the same way. Much better than my carbine barrels. These barrels look really nice. I wish we knew who made them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:48:34 AM EDT
[#11]
It is fairly apparent to me that Ballistic Advantage is who makes them according to the source.  But perhaps I am missing something, since only one other person has came out and said the name so far.  But Brownells posted saying these were from a very well liked barrel company and when asked for a hint they said "BA" , pretty much tells me its Ballistic Advantage as I don't know any other BA's.  I'm really not sure why barrel companies try to hide where they get their barrels from whenever they'd sell more by just stating it if it was a good barrel company like BA.  I am glad Brownells was kind enough to let us know anyways.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I got my 16" 1:12 carbine barrel last week, and installed it in my MGI QCB upper.  Got it sighted in at 35 yards last weekend with XM193, and things look good.  My QCB sports a full length SWAN sleeve and their buis on the rear, and I only had to move the rear two clicks for windage (from my windage zero for my 300blk and 458S barrels), and up on the front sight a few turns to get zero.  

I had to drift out the pins to remove the front sight, to get the barrel nut and delta parts off, and the fsb is nice and snug on the .625 (edit) shoulder, sans pins. Threads look good, crown and chamber look good.

As expected the barrel gets hot quick, but so far I am very pleased with it.

Craig
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
and the fsb is nice and snug on the .750 shoulder, sans pins.
View Quote

Are you sure it's not .625?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#14]
That 20 in barrel sure looks gray In the picture ,It doesn't look black like my 12.7
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That 20 in barrel sure looks gray In the picture ,It doesn't look black like my 12.7
View Quote

I worked some magic to make mine look more gray since the original Colt barrels had a gray hue to them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I worked some magic to make mine look more gray since the original Colt barrels had a gray hue to them.
View Quote

I like it ,That's what I need to do to mine . whats your magical process  ?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I like it ,That's what I need to do to mine . whats your magical process  ?
View Quote

First, I sprayed it down with Gun Scrubber. I then came back with super fine steel wool and worked it until I got the finish I was looking for. I even took the steel wool to the slip ring as well. After that, I applied a thin film of Rem Oil and worked it in followed by the steel wool again. After all of that, I wiped it down to remove any excess oil.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

First, I sprayed it down with Gun Scrubber. I then came back with super fine steel wool and worked it until I got the finish I was looking for. I even took the steel wool to the slip ring as well. After that, I applied a thin film of Rem Oil and worked it in followed by the steel wool again. After all of that, I wiped it down to remove any excess oil.
View Quote

I am going to have to try your process on a very dark J&T/DoubleStar barrel I will be using for my XM177E2...that sadly still sits on hold.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are you sure it's not .625?
View Quote

Yes, you are correct.  Brain fade on my part, as I have been looking at FSB's on line, and the .750 is aplenty, as one would expect.  had that stuck in my head.

Craig
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, you are correct.  Brain fade on my part, as I have been looking at FSB's on line, and the .750 is aplenty, as one would expect.  had that stuck in my head.

Craig
View Quote

Thanks.

You had me worried for a little bit there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That is very frustrating to hear on the packaging.  Please message us on here if this is not resolved or utilize our 100% guarantee.  The appropriate team members will be notified about these shipments.

We spoke to our manufacturer at SHOT, and the 1-7 barrels are being produced at the moment.
View Quote

Thanks! That's Good to hear.

Now are these barrels 4150 or 4140?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They are 4150.
View Quote

Thanks for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is very frustrating to hear on the packaging.  Please message us on here if this is not resolved or utilize our 100% guarantee.  The appropriate team members will be notified about these shipments.

We spoke to our manufacturer at SHOT, and the 1-7 barrels are being produced at the moment.
View Quote

Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to those barrels and M16A1 furniture set.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Received my 20" barrel today, came packed very well. Now just ship those bad boys with a round front sight post and you'll really be cooking with gas.

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't freaking wait for the 1:7 20 inchers.

Thank you Brownells!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can't freaking wait for the 1:7 20 inchers.

Thank you Brownells!!!
View Quote

We must be getting closer... Right Brownells???
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:50:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I got my 1/12.       20" barrel the other day....looks great....packed super safe...already mounted to a Colt slickside receiver.....just waiting. On a period correct lower...I am happy with the barrel..
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I got my 1/12 12.7" barrel yesterday.  It was just floating around freely in the box with seven of those little "Earth Aware" air bags, but it got here fine so I guess I can't complain.
I hope it shoots well because it's perfect for the IDF Menusar clone I'm doing (although mine will have an A2 lower since that's my SBR lower).
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got my 1/12.       20" barrel the other day....looks great....packed super safe...already mounted to a Colt slickside receiver.....just waiting. On a period correct lower...I am happy with the barrel..
View Quote

It did not take me long to mount my barrel to an original C K marked M16A1 upper.

Attachment Attached File

Right now, I am waiting on a NDS-16A1 lower I ordered back in October.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I just got a Brownells .625 FSB and the bayonet lug is out of spec. I had JT pin the FSB to the barrel along with a few other things to it. I just got an M7 bayonet and it doesn't fit on the lug. The lug is .005 too big. It works fine on my other rifle with a PSA fsb. I measured both fsb's and the bayonet and confirmed that it's the FSB that is out of spec. Kind of a bummer but whatever. Has anyone else had this problem?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:00:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just got a Brownells .625 FSB and the bayonet lug is out of spec. I had JT pin the FSB to the barrel along with a few other things to it. I just got an M7 bayonet and it doesn't fit on the lug. The lug is .005 too big. It works fine on my other rifle with a PSA fsb. I measured both fsb's and the bayonet and confirmed that it's the FSB that is out of spec. Kind of a bummer but whatever. Has anyone else had this problem?
View Quote

I just tried a M7 bayonet on my 12.7" and it attached OK.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:25:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Well crap.

I got my 12.7" Menusar clone out to the range today.  I only had time to give it a quick shakedown.  Groups with XM193 are OK (hey, it's XM193), but it shoots way right.
I had the rear sight on my A1 upper cranked all the way to the left and it was still grouping a good 1.5" right at 50 yards.

I doubt that it has to do with the A1 upper receiver because I've used that upper receiver with other barrels and never had to adjust windage more than a few clicks.
The front sight base may be clocked slightly to the left (as you look down the rifle from a shooting stance), but I'm not sure... and I'm somewhat doubtful that it's off enough to cause this much of a problem even if it is off.

I'm going to try replacing the front sight post (it looks straight to me, but...), re-installing the barrel (the barrel nut timed perfectly at about 45 foot pounds according to my cheap-ass Harbor Freight torque wrench), and removing the handguards (they're just regular skinny plastic carbine handguards) before taking it out again and seeing what happens.

If anybody has any other thoughts / ideas, I'm all ears.  If I can't get this thing massaged fairly easily, this might be my first-ever return to Brownells.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:54:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Did JT repark and would that increase thickness?  .005 is only .0025 on each side or less including the bottom edge. Could be possible.

0.005 isn't much until too large.  I never attached a bayonet on the one's I had but I did install a bayonet lug attached bipod on all of them with no problem and none of them shot very good when I did it either.  Seemed to change accuracy immediately like bullet was hitting a ramp or obstruction and when removed accuracy immediately returned. This was noted in reviews.  Although NC Star, my bayo lug bipod is very snug on all my AR's with bayo lugs and I have more than  a few.

Don't know about the new production barrels as I couldn't get my hands on one of those to test although I did try.  Would have liked to give one a good work out  / review but believe they have gone another route on testing.  Pretty sure it's the same .625 FSB that Brownells stocks and sells and most everyone else doing LW barrels with FSB's anymore.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:39:25 AM EDT
[#37]
If anybody has any other thoughts / ideas, I'm all ears.

Sure you weren't tilting it a bit when firing?  Wouldn't think 45 ft lbs would be enough to over tighten but is off in right direction for this to have occurred.  Did you hold back on barrel when tightening it?

If not over tightened barrel,  I'd probably mark the FSB and barrel, knock out the pins and re-install pins so mark on barrel is to right of existing FSB mark sighting down barrel.  This should move it back left in reality.  

Either way re-installing the barrel which sounds correct by torque reading or FSB re-install should remedy a little windage adjustment.  Doubt torque wrench is out more than 10 ft lbs at that small amount of torque.  Is it new,  have you let it sit without dialing it back to zero for any length of time or drop it? Do you have a clue how little 45 ft lbs actually is with a 1/2" drive most anything ratchet / breaker bar?  

Did you really have to crank on it for the 45 ft lb reading as it sounds from post that you didn't?   I have one of those $10-15 1/2 drive click torque wrenches and it's pretty close to my $200 Snap On and perfect for checking AR barrels which shouldn't need a torque wrench anyway.  Proceedure is tight then move nut tooth to line up with gas tube holes period and hopefully it won't exceed 80 ft lbs which is a little strain with a 1/2" ratchet generally.  I use a breaker bar but done so many I can pretty much tell looking at it if I need to do much besides simply tighten. Where was tooth alignment before you final torqued?  1/3 of the way. less or more?

Nice to have that 100% guarantee. Might be easier to simply contact Brownells to advise.

Even the best with the best equipment can make a mistake.  Easy enough fix either way if all you want is mechanical zero or close windage adjustment unless barrel crown is screwed.  If all above is correct could easily be the barrel.  Wouldn't really surprise me as I'm guessing they are economically built or with a decent amount of margin and at the $250 selling price they are considerably less than most anything of known tried and true higher quality.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I just tried a M7 bayonet on my 12.7" and it attached OK.
View Quote

I just tried a M7 bayonet on my 20" upper and it fits perfect.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, I tried the barrel with a known good front sight post with the muzzle device and handguards removed.  There was no appreciable change.  It still shot right of point of aim at 50 yards even with the A1 rear sight over to hard left.
For giggles, I put a known good upper on that lower.  Shooting XM193 of the same lot number, I hit point of aim at 50 yards.  I'm fairly satisfied that the barrel is the culprit.
Thanks for the ideas on how to maybe fix or at least minimize the problem.  Normally I like to try to fix something myself, but since this is a brand new barrel from Brownells it's going back to be swapped for another one.
I really hope mine was just a fluke and not part of a bad run because I was otherwise pleased with it.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Any ETA on the 1/7 20" barrels yet??
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I can't freaking wait for the 1:7 20 14.7 inchers.
View Quote

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Fixed it for ya.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't freaking wait for the 1:7 20 14.7 inchers.

Fixed it for ya.

I have nothing against the 1/7 14.7 inch barrels but I'm starting to suspect that the 1/7 20 inch barrels have just been nothing but a giant tease... It's been two weeks out for quite a while now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have nothing against the 1:7 14.7 inch barrels but I'm starting to suspect that the 1:7 20 inch barrels have just been nothing but a giant tease... It's been two weeks out for quite a while now.
View Quote

I'm still being patient.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#47]
When are the upper receivers going to be back in stock?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Are they going to make a 10.25" retro barrel?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I have never ordered from Brownells before and I planned on ordering several of the 20" ,1/12 barrels.
Then I got to reading about some minor shipping problems, so I only ordered two of them to check them out first.
If they look good when I get them next week I will order some more of them. ( if they are not sold out)

I just read that the front sight post may not be the A1 round post.
I had ordered 7 extra sets that are A1 front sight post kits with my order.
Are they round post or square post?

I had been trying to find some Colt 20" 1/12, but they were all out of my price range.
These should work just fine for me.

Ron

To Brownells:
Just a reminder hint: some of us are still in need of some retro port doors.
I need at least a couple dozen of them.
Thanks
Ron
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Loving the furniture. Any plans on making some aluminum vinyl acetate stocks?
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top