Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2016 6:06:55 AM EDT
Does anyone have any photos of Vietnam makeshift improvised snipers or marksman rifles? - Sporter rifles that were acquired to fill the need.

Curious if any styles and types used other than Winchester M70s, I assume perhaps someone liked the Remington 700 as the M40 emerged.

Looking for a new branch of retro to ponder.

Thanks for any info and photos you folks might be able to share.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#1]
cherenkov,

Because of the NOS barrel I received as a gift recently, I agree with your line of thinking. But I am going to attempt a retro AR sniper/ I believe the model is the 656(?), but I can be mistaken.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I read "Dead Center " By Ed Kugler ? who stated they were issued M1 C or D models as well as some surplus 1903 snipers if I recall.  I know most of his photos are of M14 and M70 rifles. I know a few members will be along shortly who keep pics of weird set ups from vietnam. Did you look through the real deal M16 photo sticky? Might be some there
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cherenkov,

Because of the NOS barrel I received as a gift recently, I agree with your line of thinking. But I am going to attempt a retro AR sniper/ I believe the model is the 656(?), but I can be mistaken.
View Quote

Braceman and John Thomas will help you out. Trimdad, myself and a gentleman by my656pan all build them. They are awesome. I don't think mine ended up being quite to the standard of the other two (due to my own impatience and cheapness) but even so they are nice rifles.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Pics of commercially purchased Winchester Model 70's

M16's were fitted with scopes on improvised mounts and often a suppressor as well

The most common suppressor I have observed in vintage pics is the HEL E4, the most common scope is the 3X Colt, for night vision AN PVS-2
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard of guys bringing their own sporting rifles with a duffle bag full of handloads.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics of commercially purchased Winchester Model 70's

M16's were fitted with scopes on improvised mounts and often a suppressor as well

The most common suppressor I have observed in vintage pics is the HEL E4, the most common scope is the 3X Colt, for night vision AN PVS-2
View Quote

Great pics!  Thank you.

That is a great photo of the Soldier in the river with the M70.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Anti archive bump.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
www.sniperglass.com has some info on really rare sniper scopes of the 1960s
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I dare you to clone one of these :

Probably not quite what you're looking for.  But that first one would be really neat with that scope.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought I read that the only reason the military switche to the Remington over the Winchester was it met the criteria at a lower bid price.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top