BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/27/2016 9:25:28 PM EDT
He used to post around here all the time but I haven't seen him in a while. 
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno, but like so many I've had the pleasure to know, time marches on and priorities change.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Very true. You can only build so many of each model and then it becomes "been there, done to that". Collectors and builders are not always the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the guys around when the retro forum was started have moved on. I get it. I worry a little when someone disappears, though, bc I always fear something bad has happened to them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the guys around when the retro forum was started have moved on. I get it. I worry a little when someone disappears, though, bc I always fear something bad has happened to them.
View Quote
Yeah he hasn't logged in for six months or so. 
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm, I hope he is OK.  I've been here 7 or 8 years, and have seen a lot come and go.  Remember RRIGS, his girlfriend Blondie, and his shooting partner Farmboy?  I think he managed to build one of everything, then quit.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
 I think he managed to build one of everything, then quit.
View Quote

That's the way I was with the HK forum.  I was on the forum several times a day, BUT, after I had one of every model AND discovered ar15.com, I never went back.  However, I don't think I will be that way this site, because I am really into US military history and learning, and I find that there is SO much more of both of those on this site than the HK site.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dunno, but like so many I've had the pleasure to know, time marches on and priorities change.
View Quote

Funny you posted in here Jim as every once in a while I'm like "hey, I need to call him since I haven't seen him on here in a while" :)
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe we need a "lost and found" thread. I wonder if something happened to F4Enut. I was in the process of doinf a 607 stock for him when he had his heart trouble. Sent him the stock and he was looking forward to posting pics of his build, but I dont think that ever came to be.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, as for Young Frankenstein... he lives in New Jersey and they only allow people to log into gun sites on a limited basis!  :-)
( Oh yeah, he lives under a rock too)

Just wondering does anyone remember MadManBlake? Any idea what happened to him?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, as for Young Frankenstein... he lives in New Jersey and they only allow people to log into gun sites on a limited basis!  :-)
( Oh yeah, he lives under a rock too)

Just wondering does anyone remember MadManBlake? Any idea what happened to him?
View Quote

Several years back there was a thread where someone mentioned they were fighting ??? cancer maybe. It might have even been Young Frankenstein . Anyway, Madman replied and mentioned he was going for some sort of treatments. He made it sound like no big deal,,, but then he disappeared. I did some digging and ended up with 3 fone numbers for him. 1 # I called sounded like a teenaged girl and when I asked for Blake her reply was "he's not here any more." I didn't push for more info. The other 2 numbers got me no where. IIRC, 1 number was Arizona, the other 2 were maybe Nevada.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#11]
hipshot is gone too
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Some come in cycles too.  I was real big 8-10 years ago myself, but been pretty sparse the past few years...
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hmmm, I hope he is OK.  I've been here 7 or 8 years, and have seen a lot come and go.  Remember RRIGS, his girlfriend Blondie, and his shooting partner Farmboy?  I think he managed to build one of everything, then quit.
View Quote

RRigs was getting married to blondei .....
Soon as he got married.... he dissapeared
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#14]
And soon after the girls with retro guns thread with them
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe a missing in action thread
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

RRigs was getting married to blondei .....
Soon as he got married.... he dissapeared
View Quote
I do means I'll never have to again.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:22:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, as for Young Frankenstein... he lives in New Jersey...
View Quote

I keep trying to get him to come get his M14 pistol rack he said he wanted out of my shed!
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#18]
then its time to shoot them......

Quoted:
Very true. You can only build so many of each model and then it becomes "been there, done to that". Collectors and builders are not always the same thing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who said we dont? I shoot all my retro ARs, and they all have period correct Colt barrels.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I miss Hipshot!  He and I did a lot of buying and selling....  BTW, what about CDENMARK?  I haven't seen him ina long time, either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who said we dont? I shoot all my retro ARs, and they all have period correct Colt barrels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too! No safe queens. I have a steady rotation and I switch in the .22 bolt in them just to change it up. It is getting a little harder with age though. Vision and steadiness add a bit to the challenge.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I took my health for granted since I'm only 42. I'm pretty active with Boy Scouts, shooting, running courses, supporting competitions, traveling, etc.

Had 2 mini strokes in August, found a hole in my heart, recently diagnosed with some crazy clotting disorder.

I'm officially part of the old farts club now.

Some of these guys could be drooling on themselves in a neuro unit or managed care facility, at home with family being taken care of, dead, you never know.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I took my health for granted since I'm only 42. I'm pretty active with Boy Scouts, shooting, running courses, supporting competitions, traveling, etc.

Had 2 mini strokes in August, found a hole in my heart, recently diagnosed with some crazy clotting disorder.

Some of these guys could be drooling on themselves in a neuro unit or managed care facility, at home with family being taken care of, dead, you never know.
View Quote

holy crap man.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn dude, Im sorry to hear that but glad you aint dead! I always value your insight on stuff, hang tough man.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Damn dude, Im sorry to hear that but glad you aint dead! I always value your insight on stuff, hang tough man.
View Quote

Amen to that.  We need him around here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And soon after the girls with retro guns thread with them
View Quote

There have been several resurrection attempts with that but none stuck quite as well as when blonde was a willing participant.

As someone else said Hip has been MIA for a while and Morg doesn't come around as much as he used to.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm still here! since the forum started. I check the board as often as i can...did two builds, one with the first offering of A1 lowers before nodak (Tactics) and one with the first batch nodak reprofiled from A2 to A1.  Edited to add...I have a third build in the works (604) with a nodak partial fence lower and a fulton armory slick side upper....just waiting for some 20" pencil barrels to get back in stock so i can complete the build.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I miss Hipshot!  He and I did a lot of buying and selling....  BTW, what about CDENMARK?  I haven't seen him ina long time, either.
View Quote

CDENMARK is around.  Just bought some bounty off of him in the EE.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like you are talking about me! Two minor to moderate strokes in 2011, was finally diagnosed in about 2013 with a kind of leukemia.  I still do search and rescue, hike and backpack with my wife.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:10:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Some come in cycles too.  I was real big 8-10 years ago myself, but been pretty sparse the past few years...
View Quote

Don't worry, Vaar, you're still big to me. :P

But yeah, I've been around for a while now, and interest just goes in cycles.  I'll be active for a few months, and then fall off the radar for a few more.  Rinse & Repeat.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Reading LRRPF52's post made me think of this.

There was a thread on a Retro Triumph Motorcycle board not too long ago where someone was wondering where "So and So" was and as it turned out the gentleman had passed on to that big Twisty Road Course in the sky.

The posters were paying their respects and someone lamented the fact that there are precious few younglings riding the Classic Iron.

In reply, another member posted the following;

"But we all need to keep something in mind. Most of us did not care about old stuff when we were kids. We wanted new Triumphs, BSAs, HD Sportsters and then whatever was the latest Japanese superbike. Same went for dirt bikes. I would guess that probably less that 1% of us gave a hoot about a bike from the 30's or earlier. It's all relative, guys. The kids today will want the bikes and cars from their era when they become vintage bikes. Our bikes will be relegated to a small group of collectors, all with gray hair who get together every so often and carp about the young kids being useless.

Oh... wait... that us!
"

Here is the RBR version of that statement;

"But we all need to keep something in mind. Most of us did not care about old stuff when we were kids. We wanted new Smith and Wessons, Colt Pythons, tacticool pistols and then whatever was the latest and hottest new caliber. Same went for tack driving rifles and carbines. I would guess that probably less that 1% of us gave a hoot about a weapon from the 30's or earlier. It's all relative, guys. The kids today will want the pistols and rifles from their era when they become vintage firearms. Our weapons will be relegated to a small group of collectors, all with gray hair who get together every so often and carp about the young kids being useless.

Oh... wait... that us!"

Point being, we are only here for SUCH a short time. Enjoy these Retro Black things that bring us joy while we can!

Take the ole Safe Queen out and bust her cherry!

Buy it cheap and stack it deep and keep having to buy more because you blasted it all up!

Sing like you don't need the money! Love like you'll never get hurt. You got to dance like no body's watching. It's got to come from the heart if you want it to work.

(I don't even drink anymore but I DO occasionally get sappy.)

Real life gets in the way sometimes but this IS one of the "chillest" forums on the interwebs.

I may wander off for months at a time but as long as I'm breathing I'll keep coming back!
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Reading LRRPF52's post made me think of this.

There was a thread on a Retro Triumph Motorcycle board not too long ago where someone was wondering where "So and So" was and as it turned out the gentleman had passed on to that big Twisty Road Course in the sky.

The posters were paying their respects and someone lamented the fact that there are precious few younglings riding the Classic Iron.

In reply, another member posted the following;

"But we all need to keep something in mind. Most of us did not care about old stuff when we were kids. We wanted new Triumphs, BSAs, HD Sportsters and then whatever was the latest Japanese superbike. Same went for dirt bikes. I would guess that probably less that 1% of us gave a hoot about a bike from the 30's or earlier. It's all relative, guys. The kids today will want the bikes and cars from their era when they become vintage bikes. Our bikes will be relegated to a small group of collectors, all with gray hair who get together every so often and carp about the young kids being useless.

Oh... wait... that us!
"

Here is the RBR version of that statement;

"But we all need to keep something in mind. Most of us did not care about old stuff when we were kids. We wanted new Smith and Wessons, Colt Pythons, tacticool pistols and then whatever was the latest and hottest new caliber. Same went for tack driving rifles and carbines. I would guess that probably less that 1% of us gave a hoot about a weapon from the 30's or earlier. It's all relative, guys. The kids today will want the pistols and rifles from their era when they become vintage firearms. Our weapons will be relegated to a small group of collectors, all with gray hair who get together every so often and carp about the young kids being useless.

Oh... wait... that us!"

Point being, we are only here for SUCH a short time. Enjoy these Retro Black things that bring us joy while we can!

Take the ole Safe Queen out and bust her cherry!

Buy it cheap and stack it deep and keep having to buy more because you blasted it all up!

Sing like you don't need the money! Love like you'll never get hurt. You got to dance like no body's watching. It's got to come from the heart if you want it to work.

(I don't even drink anymore but I DO occasionally get sappy.)

Real life gets in the way sometimes but this IS one of the "chillest" forums on the interwebs.

I may wander off for months at a time but as long as I'm breathing I'll keep coming back!
View Quote

So true, but damn........I hate it when someone reminds me of how short a time period we are here for. Time used to mean little to me, until I got old. I can remember things from twenty years ago like they were little more than months ago, and now I have to wonder if I'll even be around in twenty years.......and I know the next twenty are going to pass much faster than the previous twenty.  I better start shooting more and building less.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#33]
The young are poets and the old are philosophers.

I TRY not to dwell on those inevitable things but like I said. I get squishy sometimes and I don't even drink!

My old man is about to make 82 so if I'm lucky I got another 30 in me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I just saw this thread and decided I better report in. I am one of the old timers that has been a member of the Retro Forum from the very beginning. I still stop by here once in a while to see what's going on. I've built my "retros" that I've always wanted and I take them out for a walk in the woods once in a whole and we stop and punch some holes in paper. A lot of my time now is taken up with enjoying time with my grand kids and working on my old car. Five years ago I bought a '51 Chevy and I really haven't spent too much time working on it but, I have been spending a lot of time collecting parts and learning about this car. I think part of the reason some of the older members move on from the forum is that a lot of the information that appears here we've seen before. It's just the nature of the forum. Every new member that comes here has pretty much the same questions that us old timers had when we started here. It's kind of like watching reruns of M*A*S*H, I love the show and I don't mind one bit watching reruns but, I don't want to watch them every night. When this forum was started it was done so on an experimental basis to see if there was enough interest in these out of date, old guns to support a forum dedicated just to Retro AR15s. I think we proved that there is more than enough interest. Mission accomplished. Carry on.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Remember when the only option for lowers was to grind down an A2, if you didn't find an SP-1 or registered machine gun?

There were guides on where to remove material on the extension tube boss, pivot pin bosses, and mag release fencing.

Surplus parts kits were a plenty, easily found for around $300 and change usually.

TexSquirrel put together his website, Retroblackrifle.com with the model number variations and detailed photos showing the differences.

People started getting creative after their first 603 builds, then on to 602s, XM177s.

Then the tackling of the 607 involved reproduction stocks and handguards, and handguard caps.

Then the coveted 601 builds started emerging, with people waiting years to find every correct part.  There was a female member even who did one, remember that?

605s started sprouting, and NoDak came on board with forged receivers.

Then came the prototype receiver sets and the group buy cast prototype FSBs-remember that.

Out of the blue, someone emerged with the rare and unknown 656 light sniper system, dropping jaws.

All of it was driven by a tight-knit group of retro enthusiasts here.

It's been a good ride when you look back at what we have accomplished.

Who would have thought the market would respond this much to the Retro form of BRD, to the point that Colt and others would start making reproduction models of the 603, GAU-5A/A, and XM177E2?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Well folks, anyone who was holding their breath here's da skinny. Texsquirrel is alive and well. I called him this morn and scolded him for disappearing...Well not really, but did tell him we here in retroland missed him. He'll pop in when he has some time. Life DOES get busy sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, the aresenic didn't take. . .
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Damn, the aresenic didn't take. . .
View Quote

You owe me a keyboard. I just giggled snot all over this one!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm still around as well.  Just don't post as much, mostly lurk.  Partly because I've pretty much finished out my retro collection, unless I miraculously run across a few select 602 parts and an 601 barrel and left HG.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well folks, anyone who was holding their breath here's da skinny. Texsquirrel is alive and well. I called him this morn and scolded him for disappearing...Well not really, but did tell him we here in retroland missed him. He'll pop in when he has some time. Life DOES get busy sometimes.
View Quote

Thanks for the update Sir.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Good to hear from DocMike and Log. I think about ya around the holidays Doc every since that year ya posted that pic of the dog & ears.

uxb still around?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#42]
UXB is still around.  He just posted in the Singlepoint Mount thread going around at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#43]
You get the retro fever and you almost go crazy building the number of rifles that you can afford.  It becomes an obsession.  Then you take them out and shoot them and you admire them from time to time but after awhile they just sit in the safe.  Then you go on to other things.

I have a dozen retro builds sitting in my safe including a couple of prototypes.  I try to rotate shooting them and I love each and every one of them but they are not the same obsession that they were a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Or you want to unload the things, but it was so hard to find the parts that. You. Just. Can't.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Or you want to unload the things, but it was so hard to find the parts that. You. Just. Can't.
View Quote

Where's the 'like' button on here. . .
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

So much this.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I was so happy to see the retro forum started, I loved reading it in its early days but I was in college and broke, eventually I gave up on a retro build.

Years later I got re-interested, came back and was thrilled at how much the forum had grown. There's so much knowledge here, you gus that took this forum from an idea to the best place on the Web to get info on pre A2 ARs rock, seriously. Thank you to you all!
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I love my retros and I don't think I could willingly part with them any time soon. If anyone had a prototype build with a repro prototype fsb, I'd trade a NIB O-PAP for it, or maybe even a Khyber Pass AK.   But I know there isn't a lot of crossover between retro guys and AK guys. 
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Happy New Year all!

I wonder in and out of here from time to time, but I haven't posted in a while.  My 601 was almost complete to include the barrel, but then I retired from the AF and didn't find a job right away and had to sell.  I would like to build a 601 once again, but they are harder to find then hens teeth.  ;-)
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey, don't worry.
I've had some health issues the last couple of years, but I'm still alive and well-ish.
I know I need to stop by more often, and I'm surprised that it has been over 6 months since I've been here.
I promise to do better about visiting.

You may have noticed my Texsquirrel email address was disabled for a while.
I started getting hundreds of spam messages each day, and finally got tired of deleting them.
I've recently re-activated it, and the spam messages are still there, but now down to about 25 per day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top