Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/1/2016 8:19:04 PM EDT
My LGS has a vintage Colt SP1 rifle (1966-67) which appears to all original. The ejection port door spring is broken and needs to be replaced. The original spring has that old patina look to it. Is there
a way to age a newer ejection door spring to match the darker color of the ejection port door?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My LGS has a vintage Colt SP1 rifle (1966-67) which appears to all original. The ejection port door spring is broken and needs to be replaced. The original spring has that old patina look to it. Is there
a way to age a newer ejection door spring to match the darker color of the ejection port door?
View Quote

It is easier to just get an old spring.  If you purchase that SP1, just IM me and I will send you an original aged spring.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
He does have a great question though.
I have been pondering a way to color the later, silver colored springs to look more appropriate on earlier builds.
Of course, the ultimate rush is to find, and use an original carbon steel spring.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It appears to me the stainless? 70's Colt springs are ferrous as I've seen more than a few that had corroded themselves to the rod and were rusted beyond recovery and crumbled once removed.  Lots of PB Blaster to get loose.  Probably a night or two in a weak solution of Miracle Grow should do the trick.  Newer springs may have a low or no ferrous metal content in mix and might not be as sensitive as the 70's Colt springs to a little patina.  Coke Cola probably do the same thing.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top