AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2016 11:52:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#1]
?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I loved Tour of Duty.
Years ago, TNT ran the series. I taped it. Recently saw the series on DVD at Wally Word.
Might have to pick it up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if you can see it if you don't have facebook. It's screens from the show Tour of duty. If you can get an F4 to napalm a hill for a movie and the weapons and uniforms looks somewhat right it's pretty cool. They even have a fleet of UH-1 Hueys. Must have used a lot of veterans in creating this show.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I enjoyed Tour of Duty when it first came out.  The middle episodes were the best, but towards the end they got a little trite.  I know they drew heavily on vets for advice on making it authentic.  

I went in in 1974, and Vietnam was wound down, but the Army was the same BS as it was a few year before.  My brother was an O-3 over there for two tours.  When I was at the MP school in 74, they were looking for volunteers to go over: Saigon, Camron Bay, Da Nag, all had heavy MP presence.  I was married though, with a kid.  My brother said he would shoot me in the foot if I even thought of volunteering...
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I enjoyed Tour of Duty when it first came out.  The middle episodes were the best, but towards the end they got a little trite.  I know they drew heavily on vets for advice on making it authentic.  

I went in in 1974, and Vietnam was wound down, but the Army was the same BS as it was a few year before.  My brother was an O-3 over there for two tours.  When I was at the MP school in 74, they were looking for volunteers to go over: Saigon, Camron Bay, Da Nag, all had heavy MP presence.  I was married though, with a kid.  My brother said he would shoot me in the foot if I even thought of volunteering...
View Quote

Wonder where that was filmed, probably the Phillipines? More accurate than Platoon as the XM177E2 look more real than SP1 carbines. Being over there when the NVA was over running those places in the end doesn't seem to be a very good place to be in 1975. Wonder if we had a carrier in the South China Sea. We could have help crush the invasion from the north. Have some B52s carpet bomb the shit out of their divisions. Must have been intense political pressure not to intervene with air power.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not sure if you can see it if you don't have facebook. It's screens from the show Tour of duty. If you can get an F4 to napalm a hill for a movie and the weapons and uniforms looks somewhat right it's pretty cool. They even have a fleet of UH-1 Hueys. Must have used a lot of veterans in creating this show.
View Quote

I think much of that was through the miracle of editing, creating the illusion of a much bigger number of choppers, backdrops etc.  I think it was filmed partially in California and Mexico, they had a fleet of flying choppers for separate shoots - would film lots of usable stock footage and store for future use in editing.  Some choppers were stereolithic mock-ups or not flying used in backdrops. It was pre-CGI so they were pretty creative to get the most out of expensive equipment rentals.

I suspect they take advantage of military (foreign or domestic) training exercises for some otherwise cost prohibitive footage and editing into a storyline - Like a napalm strike.  Even in high budget Apocalypse now  it was military trainer jets flying above pyrotechnics to create the effect of a napalm strike.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I Got the the entire series of tour of Duty off of Amazon. It was only $17! BUT. Be aware that all the original music was stripped from the series. All that vintage war time music was replaced with generic crap. Note, the same DVD set sold in Europe still has all the original sound track intact. Pisses me off.
Also, TOD was filmed in Hawaii. Would have been a great TV show without the liberal agenda. I watched the whole series this year. Still outstanding!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to love this show, off to find the DVD set
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Being over there when the NVA was over running those places in the end doesn't seem to be a very good place to be in 1975. Wonder if we had a carrier in the South China Sea. We could have help crush the invasion from the north. Have some B52s carpet bomb the shit out of their divisions. Must have been intense political pressure not to intervene with air power.
View Quote

I don't recall all the details of what the Navy had on standby, but their mission was generally to pick up folks getting out at the last minute and whatnot, and they did have some carriers out there.  Certainly when things first started unraveling, much could have been done.  But I don't think there was any serious thought of going back in.  

The Nixon administration, if you'd like to call it an administration, had basically forced the terms of the peace agreement, if you'd like to call it a peace agreement, on the South, and made some promises to come back in if necessary, that the Donk Congress, under the Ford administration, if you'd like to call it an administration, had no intent on living up to.  Ford wasn't going to stick his neck out, and the Donks in Congress had already cut off military aid and resupply to the South, so that, pretty much, was that.

That's the show in a nutshell.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't recall all the details of what the Navy had on standby, but their mission was generally to pick up folks getting out at the last minute and whatnot, and they did have some carriers out there.  Certainly when things first started unraveling, much could have been done.  But I don't think there was any serious thought of going back in.  

The Nixon administration, if you'd like to call it an administration, had basically forced the terms of the peace agreement, if you'd like to call it a peace agreement, on the South, and made some promises to come back in if necessary, that the Donk Congress, under the Ford administration, if you'd like to call it an administration, had no intent on living up to.  Ford wasn't going to stick his neck out, and the Donks in Congress had already cut off military aid and resupply to the South, so that, pretty much, was that.

http://ows.edb.utexas.edu/sites/default/files/users/mjoseph/usnp003.jpg

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/docroot/dulcinea/fd_images/news/on-this-day/April/Saigon-Falls-to-Vietcong--Ending-Vietnam-War/news/0/image.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being over there when the NVA was over running those places in the end doesn't seem to be a very good place to be in 1975. Wonder if we had a carrier in the South China Sea. We could have help crush the invasion from the north. Have some B52s carpet bomb the shit out of their divisions. Must have been intense political pressure not to intervene with air power.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/docroot/dulcinea/fd_images/news/on-this-day/April/Saigon-Falls-to-Vietcong--Ending-Vietnam-War/news/0/image.jpg

Unfortunate situation. I read somewhere that the NVA forces were ordered not to engage the evacuating US forces in Saigon. They were afraid we would retaliate against their invasion forces and bring the US back into the war.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used to love this show, off to find the DVD set
View Quote

Saw it at Wally World a few weeks back. Complete series in one set. I think it was in the $20 range.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Some of it was filmed in Hawaii, ever notice the hills in the background look the same watching the hueys land?.  Pretty sure it was the Hawaii Air National Guard's,HANG, F-4s that were used in the air support scenes.  In one episode, you could see one rolling in and on the top of a hill in the background is a white radar dome.  

Currently the series is running on GET TV during the day.  Retired now so locally at 1400, turn on the tube to watch.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Unfortunate situation. I read somewhere that the NVA forces were ordered not to engage the evacuating US forces in Saigon. They were afraid we would retaliate against their invasion forces and bring the US back into the war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might have something there.  Linebacker II in December '72 (The Christmas Bombings) scared the mortal hell out of the leadership in the North.  So it would be very surprising if they didn't wish to avoid that again, even temporarily.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Democrats sold out our military and the entire nation to prove a point.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Since we're on topic: Last Days in Vietnam by PBS is on streaming Netflix and is excellent.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I was a 22 year old PFC MP on duty at Oakland Army base the day Saigon fell.  We were getting reports over the radio.  We felt like crap.  We all got drunk that night.  I lost several friends and a cousin there.  I didn't get drafted in 1970, because my draft number was 323.  I enlisted in 1974.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I just watched that show. Personally knowing some of my fellow comrades who are now SR NCOs in the Army have told me about the ordeal his family went through after we pulled out. His father was a Captain in the ARVN and was placed in a re education camp for 6 years before escaping on a boat through the South China Sea. His wife's father was a Major in the South Vietnamese Air Force and was in prison for 8 years. Needless to say he really hates communists! Many were lucky to escape after spending many years in "re education camps", which were really horrible prisions!
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Season 1 was filmed in Hawaii. Seasons 2 and 3 were on a back lot in Hollywood. They kept using the same river in different episodes. Good series. Most M16's were converted SP1's. The XM177's were also converted Sp1's without the grenade ring. S&W M76's and Swedish K's in the SOG episodes of season 3.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#19]
The original soundtrack was great.  Paint it Black playing during the opening credits.  The DVD set got robbed as they didn't want to pay for the music rights and replaced it with all generic royalty free stuff.  Really ruined the vibe of the original but still a good show.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll see your "Paint it Black" and raise you a "The End" for the win!

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a friend I served with in Vietnam.
He was or may have been the last American military out of Vietnam that day.
Lew died  from AO.
Lew on the right and me on the left.
(I was not with him on that day)

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lew died  from AO.

<a href="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/captron73/media/Scan0005_zpsyctpfxhv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m483/captron73/Scan0005_zpsyctpfxhv.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lew died  from AO.

<a href="http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/captron73/media/Scan0005_zpsyctpfxhv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m483/captron73/Scan0005_zpsyctpfxhv.jpg</a>

Awesome story.  

delete, welcome home and thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The original soundtrack was great.  Paint it Black playing during the opening credits.  The DVD set got robbed as they didn't want to pay for the music rights and replaced it with all generic royalty free stuff.  Really ruined the vibe of the original but still a good show.
View Quote

I may or may not have them with original audio.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top