Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2016 6:55:23 PM EDT

Because I am there.

My buttpack and first-aid pouch are M1967, and my canteen cover is just wrong.  The rest is M1956...

Proper replacements are a bit more than I wanna spend right now.

I've got an entrenching tool on back-order, for some reason they're expensive for vintage.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty severe. Do you re enact battles?
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it appears you're actually a late bloomer. Usually boys at a young age start collecting the gear and amass a ton-o-stuff before the age of 12,,, then as they get older start with the firearms...
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have kicked myself on occasion because I had a complete M1956 set when I was 13-14 for bb-gun wars.

Like a fool, I gave it away when I joined the Army at 18.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
"The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys."
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The RBRD is pretty much terminal now.

There is no cure. Only treatment.

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I wear mine hunting. Range finder fits perfect in 20rnd pouch.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wear mine hunting. Range finder fits perfect in 20rnd pouch.
View Quote

Do you wear your beo gam utilities too?

I'm not making fun of you. I WANT a set of duck hunter camos!
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:14:51 AM EDT
[#8]
You should be quarantined at this point.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#9]
You know you have a truly bad case when you restore a 69 Bonneville as an accessory!

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I keep asking myself if buying a PRC-25 or 77 is weird?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Only if you make it weird.  

77 is solid state, 25 has tubes (I think).
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been a military collector for over 35 years. The building of my ARs has rekindled an interest in US Special Forces

during the Vietnam period.

" />

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Some of my Special Forces uniforms.  Yeh, I got it bad.

" />
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I use to collect it. Then I got bored with a bunch of shit laying around. Threw a lot away and sold off some. I find the guns more intriguing than the other stuff these days.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I use to collect it. Then I got bored with a bunch of shit laying around. Threw a lot away and sold off some. I find the guns more intriguing than the other stuff these days.

This!  

Surplus is like a critter litter box.  If you own more than one,  probably need to "check yourself".

Kinda got tired of dusting the smelly moldy stuff off over the years personally.  Now our home smells like a nice clean home should and not a funshow or surplus warehouse at least until the next relapse - surplus deal.  

Very few owners of this stuff aren't nasal blind or have chronic sinusitis.  Pretty much like the smoker who can't smell the cig odor or  the crazy cat lady or owner of the dog kennel / home that don't even notice the odor that sticks to themselves and everything they own and wonder why they can't get layed.

Was fun collecting the surplus stuff for next to nothing or free but anyone paying today's pricing for retro surplus gear probably needs a psychological evaluation and surely won't like the diagnosis.

Nothing really wrong with being a 50 year old child but generally far from the norm.

Cal30M1,  nice job on restoration.  I'm more into H-D's and BMW's but your Triumph looks really, really nice and I'd wager it's a blast to run.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys, This 55 year old child has made tens of thousands of $$$ on that stinky moldy stuff

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Ha!  I'm only 47!

Ahead on the man-child curve.

Wait...

Ah dangit!

I still have (most of) my issue ALICE gear.  I ended up with two sets while I was in because our platoon leader was stupid about the gear being pristine for inspection.  They only asked for one set back when I ETS'd so...

I added the M9 bayonet later, we tankers had M7's and were rarely trusted with them.  Someone rightly assumed we'd hurt ourselves.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah I think 37th is too far gone for an intervention at this point.

And just what is WRONG with the house smelling like a warehouse? I LOVE that smell! That and cosmoline! And Hoppes! And CLP!

I don't do the web gear like I used to. It does take up a lot of space.

I'm all rifles and pistols and knives now. Still have some web gear but not like I used to.

Cdenmark I'd love to have an old HD! Maybe some day but I'll have to learn how to ride a left side shifter! I've only ridden right shifting Limey Beans my whole life.

Remember, God rides a Harley but Jesus rides a Triumph!
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ha!  I'm only 47!

Ahead on the man-child curve.

Wait...

Ah dangit!

I still have (most of) my issue ALICE gear.  I ended up with two sets while I was in because our platoon leader was stupid about the gear being pristine for inspection.  They only asked for one set back when I ETS'd so...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5795/31129930611_19a3b9a71e_b.jpg

I added the M9 bayonet later, we tankers had M7's and were rarely trusted with them.  Someone rightly assumed we'd hurt ourselves.
View Quote

As an ordnance maintenance guy, I was amazed at how much shit you guys could break, on what was supposed to be the most bad ass tank in the world.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I still enjoy trying to find stuff around the goodwills. But I'll flip it in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#21]
And just what is WRONG with the house smelling like a warehouse? I LOVE that smell! That and cosmoline! And Hoppes! And CLP!

Nothing to a retrohead.  Same as cats to a cat lover or dogs to a dog lover!  Might not help the home re-sale value but guess it could be worse,  like buying an ex-meth lab home or such.  I prefer racing gas and burning rubber over burnt powder and CLP but hard to get that wonderful smell inside the home without doing burnouts in the garage (not recommended). Does anyone like the smell of LSA? I've some vintage bolltles of that stuff that is rather unpleasant.

Guessing I got most of my surplus the same way you got yours,  out of someone's trash can or dumpster,  only I didn't get paid  (I'm jealous)  while I was collecting mine.

I still have some gear but sold most the rare stuff and have received nothing but compliments as the pile has dwindled mostly from significant other, females,  or the actual buyers.

I've kept a couple web belts with 7 mag pouches on them mostly the 3 -30 rd stuff for just in case,  better to have and not need scenario.  I throw in a shorty cotton  M-56 or 4-20 M-67  nylon every once in a while.  I prefer the marine corp 73 pouches with flaps.  My current stuff doesn't reek too bad and I still have my dusty bayos and bandoliers.  Always meant to buy a case for the bayos to keep off the dust.  My eastern block stuff generally smells worse than USGI and wife doesn't let that stuff in the house for very long.

I had over 50 of those last M-16 de-mill kits and talk about stinking.  Don't know who's yard smelled the worst Turkey or Malaysia.  Just the rags used to clean the parts would make most non plumbers vomit.  I believe they actually stuck them in poop before sending to the USA.

I even made the cardboards and still have the template I used to draw and  cut them out.

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nothing to a retrohead.  Same as cats to a cat lover or dogs to a dog lover!  Might not help the re-sale value but guess it could be worse,  like buying an ex-meth lab home or such.  I prefer racing gas and burning rubber over burnt powder and CLP but hard to get that wonderful smell inside the home without doing burnouts in the garage (not recommended). Does anyone like the smell of LSA? I've some vintage bolltles of that stuff that is rather unpleasant.

Guessing I got most of my surplus the same way you got yours,  out of someone's trash can or dumpster,  only I didn't get paid  (I'm jealous)  while I was collecting mine.

I still have some gear but sold most the rare stuff and have received nothing but compliments as the pile has dwindled mostly from significant other, females,  or the actual buyers.

I've kept a couple web belts with 7 mag pouches on them mostly the 3 -30 rd stuff for just in case,  better to have and not need scenario.  I throw in a shorty cotton  M-56 or 4-20 M-67  nylon every once in a while.  I prefer the marine corp 73 pouches with flaps.  My current stuff doesn't reek too bad and I still have my dusty bayos and bandoliers.  Always meant to buy a case for the bayos to keep off the dust.  My eastern block stuff generally smells worse than USGI and wife doesn't let that stuff in the house for very long.

I had over 50 of those last M-16 de-mill kits and talk about stinking.  Don't know who's yard smelled the worst Turkey or Malaysia.  Just the rags used to clean the parts would make most non plumbers vomit.  I believe they actually stuck them in poop before sending to the USA.

I even made the cardboards and still have the template I used to cut them out.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/cndenmark/DSCN2717_zpsyi6mloue.jpg
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/cndenmark/DSCN2720_zpsxjb6fhnd.jpg

View Quote

10 points for the retro pile.
10 points for the retro toe.
20 points demerit (and 100 Hail Stoners) for that jet black A2 lower!

I've got 3 of the short nylon 4/20 round pouches and 3 of the 3/30 round pouches. (All loaded and ready to rock) I want 2 more of the 3/30 ones and I'll call it a day.

The cardboards are relatively cheap. I'm FAR too lazy to try to make them!

Prior to the election I bought 500 rounds of M193 and I've got 600 rounds of M855 inbound to feed my different barrels. (Need about 8000 more rounds of each before I'll be satisfied!)

The repack kits are ridiculous expensive for some reason!  I'm just gonna get more strippers and cardboards and put them all up in a .50 cal can.

I need to go blast some too! It's more fun to shoot than to hoard! Ammo prices should remain stable for awhile thankfully!
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As an ordnance maintenance guy, I was amazed at how much shit you guys could break, on what was supposed to be the most bad ass tank in the world.
View Quote

If you didn't want us to break it, why did you give it to us?

You know the old story:  Lock a private in a sealed room with an anvil and a bowling ball.  Come back in an hour and the bowling ball is missing and the anvil is split in half.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You know the old story:  Lock a private in a sealed room with an anvil and a bowling ball.  Come back in an hour and the bowling ball is missing and the anvil is split in half.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, I heard the adage a little differently, it involved two rocks, a glass room and an escape attempt... with the same end result.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Lower is the first one I grabbed.  Upper actually resides less lower in a Colt factory shipping box and I seldom break it out.  Was easiest retro to grab for photo.

Think I'm going blasting in the AM.  Since they have allowed us to hunt on Sundays and this year rifles are legal in county I shoot,  unrestricted,  I try and limit my target shooting during hunting season.   I did see my first Bears in the wild this year and lots of Bear poop / droppings.  Think I actually found their outhouse.  I know nothing about bears except going hand to hand with one can't have a good outcome.  Going to definitely need a bigger knife.

I am building two 7.62x39 20inch chrome lined Doublestar barrelled hunting rifles I need to function test / zero and a FN kinda A-2 for myself.  All I have is hi caps and Colt mags for the commies.  Got some CPD's on backorder.  Have a couple other builds I haven't fired yet either but can only do so much in one day.  Will definitely run the three.  Did switch out carry handle on A-3 for KAC BUIS to drop a little weight.

Not quite 10K but here's almost 8K of 5.56 / .223 reloads (8 full shoe boxes and some other boxes) and I keep over 500 rds in my shooting bag.  Bandoliers probably close to 2K and I have a few factory cases of M-855, and M-193. I pretty much have a load for every scenario imaginable.

Those were NOS 1950 dated surplus GP straps and was a NOS MRT garand.

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Man, I had tons of web gear like that when I was a kid in the 70s and early 80s long before it was retro. Back then it was just "used."
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't have a whole lot of "retro" gear unless late 80s/early 90s ALICE gear is retro.

I have an LBE set up like I carried back then. 3 3-Mag pouches, 2 canteens and a buttpack.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:56:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I did see my first Bears in the wild this year and lots of Bear poop / droppings.  Think I actually found their outhouse.  I know nothing about bears except going hand to hand with one can't have a good outcome.  Going to definitely need a bigger knife.
View Quote

I'm SURE I'm not the only one who thought of this!

Cdenmark hunting bear!

Some of the younger guys may not have thunk it but us old guys did!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:44:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Double apologies.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:46:29 AM EDT
[#30]
What was the evangelistic comedians name Jerry Clowers or such.

Ooooooosheeeeeit!

Marrselle,

"Just shoot up betwixt us as one of us has got to get some relief."  

Unlike Mr Griz Adams I feel rather confident I can't out run, out fight  or out climb a pissed off Bear.  Borrowed pics from Buddy's camera.

I believe those mofos can get rather stealthy too.  Not good to be the hunted.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Down here we have scrawny little black bears but I STILL wouldn't want to mix it up with them. Especially a mama bear.

I've got rural property and there are bears out there but I haven't seen any evidence of them wandering on my little 2.6 acres of wilderness.

Hog's are back and I frequently see deer prints on the driveway and I saw a few doe at about 20 yards one time. Heard old daddy buck out in the brush trying to grunt himself up a girlfriend but I didn't lay eyes on him.

I carry when I first get there JIC but I usually run the generator and that keeps all the critters at bay.

You need a new rug Cdenmark! Be safe!

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Cal,  Which 30 round pouches do you desire?   I probably have a couple standard 3 mag 30 rd pouches collecting dust that don't smell too bad.  Not NOS but nice surplus none the less. Yours if you want them simply IM your address.  The marine corp with flaps and early 30 rd pouches with hook I'm hanging on to for the moment.

I went shooting in AM, everything ran fine.  Only fired the 7.62x39 builds.  Just shot them free hand at 50 yds with some reloads I've had since the 80's for my SKS rifles.  28.5 grain H-4895 with .311 Speer 303 caliber Hot core bullet.  Cartridges were a little under powered but gave me a base line.  I'll heat them up a bit as really just checked function and iron sights.  Figured if they would run under powered they will certainly run once heated a bit.  First shot with A-2 was low with flush post but windage was set at mechanical zero.  I believe it will kill.  Never done much with the KAC BUIS but it was only off a couple clicks from mechanical zero right. Used directions on card but set at 50 instead of 25 yds.  Kinda got into it for a minute or two.  I believe it will kill also.  Deer I've taken have been between 50 and 100 yds so figured 50 was a good place to start.  Probably going to scope it anyway.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cal,  Which 30 round pouches do you desire?   I probably have a couple standard 3 mag 30 rd pouches collecting dust that don't smell too bad.  Not NOS but nice surplus none the less. Yours if you want them simply IM your address.  The marine corp with flaps and early 30 rd pouches with hook I'm hanging on to for the moment.

I went shooting in AM, everything ran fine.  Only fired the 7.62x39 builds.  Just shot them free hand at 50 yds with some reloads I've had since the 80's for my SKS rifles.  28.5 grain H-4895 with .311 Speer 303 caliber Hot core bullet.  Cartridges were a little under powered but gave me a base line.  I'll heat them up a bit as really just checked function and iron sights.  Figured if they would run under powered they will certainly run once heated a bit.  First shot with A-2 was low with flush post but windage was set at mechanical zero.  I believe it will kill.  Never done much with the KAC BUIS but it was only off a couple clicks from mechanical zero right. Used directions on card but set at 50 instead of 25 yds.  Kinda got into it for a minute or two.  I believe it will kill also.  Deer I've taken have been between 50 and 100 yds so figured 50 was a good place to start.  Probably going to scope it anyway.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/cndenmark/DSCN2724_zpsxtyjkqzv.jpg

View Quote

That some good shooshting! (Austin Powers)

I'm happy when I can do minute of paper plate at 50 yards!

The pouches I use are the typical later nylon M67 variety with the grenade holder thingamajiggy. Utilitarian all the way! Some may even have cut straps etc.

Never had the desire to have the rarer stuff. (Although I did pick up a rubberized canvas 601 pouch for cheap)

I appreciate the offer! IM sent!
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've got 3 of the short nylon 4/20 round pouches and 3 of the 3/30 round pouches. (All loaded and ready to rock) I want 2 more of the 3/30 ones and I'll call it a day.

Prior to the election I bought 500 rounds of M193 and I've got 600 rounds of M855 inbound to feed my different barrels. (Need about 8000 more rounds of each before I'll be satisfied!)

The repack kits are ridiculous expensive for some reason!  I'm just gonna get more strippers and cardboards and put them all up in a .50 cal can.

I need to go blast some too! It's more fun to shoot than to hoard! Ammo prices should remain stable for awhile thankfully!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing to a retrohead.  Same as cats to a cat lover or dogs to a dog lover!  Might not help the re-sale value but guess it could be worse,  like buying an ex-meth lab home or such.  I prefer racing gas and burning rubber over burnt powder and CLP but hard to get that wonderful smell inside the home without doing burnouts in the garage (not recommended). Does anyone like the smell of LSA? I've some vintage bolltles of that stuff that is rather unpleasant.

I even made the cardboards and still have the template I used to cut them out.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/cndenmark/DSCN2717_zpsyi6mloue.jpg
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/cndenmark/DSCN2720_zpsxjb6fhnd.jpg

Where can you get the 20rnd bandolier cardboard?

We were still using ammo packed in the 7 pouch bandolier when I got to my first duty station in '91, and had a 7 pouch bandolier that I used to keep cassette cases in in my truck back in the day. They fit great.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Amazon and ePay have the 2 stripper clip variety for the 7 pocket as well as the 3 stripper variety for the newer 4 pocket bandoliers.

Strippers and spoons and bandoliers are available too.

The repack kits with bandoliers, strippers and a spoon are pricey compared to back in the day though.

They used to be $3 a piece and shipping wasn't much.

NOW they're WAY more expensive and so is shipping.

I've got some M193 and some M855 inbound (1200 rounds total) so I want to get some strippers and cardboards at least if not the bandoliers too.

Guess I'll need more ammo cans too.

VN era ones!
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Should you attempt to emulate my insanity:

The e-tool is WAY too small to stand in for an M1951 combination tool.

I'm off to ebay to get either an M1943 or M1951.  Either should be fine for a 1968ish set of gear, right?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Should you attempt to emulate my insanity:

The e-tool is WAY too small to stand in for an M1951 combination tool.

I'm off to ebay to get either an M1943 or M1951.  Either should be fine for a 1968ish set of gear, right?
View Quote

Please don't get a crappy chinese e-tool. Also check with Moore Militaria and Omahas Surplus out of Texas.

The tri-fold e-tools were in production by 1969 and were trialed earlier than that. I would expect the M1951 to have replaced over 90% of e-tool inventory by 1968 in regular army inventory. Some NG were still using WWII gear and weapons well into the 1970's.

I've got a shit load of old gear out in the garage.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Either should be fine for a 1968ish set of gear, right?

I believe that would be correct.  

Got me wondering what happened to the one I had as a kid in 60's 70's.  Dad bought me one and worked the crap out of me with it long before I was 10.  Fine example he set.  They used to call me "Mole".  I've dug to China more than once.  I can do crap with a pick and shovel most would say was impossible.  "Where there is a will!"
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd go with the M51 for sure. For 1968 they would have been the most prevalent.

Like was said some NG troops (And maybe Uncle Sam's Misguided Children) may have had the WWII stuff but regular Army would have all had the M51.

REAL USGI Tri folds are stoopit expensive lately! They used to be a dime a dozen and the last time I looked they were ridiculous!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Real USGI M1951 combination tools are stoopid expensive too!

I dug around some.

Ames made around 11 million of the M1943 tool.  I think it was made from 1943 all the way through 1947.  Some of the last production of the '43 has the pick.

The M1951 which was supposed to replace it was made in much smaller numbers and never did replace it in service.  I never did find how many were made.

The M1968 or tri-fold or lightweight entrenching tool finally did supplant the '43 while it was supplanting the '51.  Ames made around 275,000, but others made them too.

Moore wants a bit too much for my blood for their M1951 and carrier, especially since I have the carrier already.  I'd be mad at them, but they're not charging much more than ebay wants for one.  Besides, they're great folks!

Judging from the pictures, nearly every M1943 tool was made by Ames in 1945.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Judging from the pictures, nearly every M1943 tool was made by Ames in 1945.
View Quote

I've seen a few 44s over the years but never a 43.

Whatever you get it will never be this cheap again!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for history info.  Mine had the pick but it was definitely late 60's when I got mine with cover and doubt  it was more than $1.  Bet a real name brand shovel wasn't more than $3 especially on sale.  I may still have it and it was probably kept out of weather.  I do know my Bro in law relic hunts with one and it could be the same as mom loves to give stuff away now that she's in her 80's.

Didn't know what a trencher was until I was grown,  if they were even made back then.  Thought I was the trencher.  Did migrate to a full sized pick and shovel sometime before I made teenager.  Replaced many water services by hand in youth.  Dad was the samaritan plumber in the neighborhood and back then kids actually had to work for free ( worked for roof and food) and there weren't any  laws prohibiting it. Anyone remember the paperboy!?  That went wayside to the thieve's.  Sad when society robs the paperboy to the point of extiction.  Surely was the writing on the wall looking back!
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I couldn't find an affordable M1951 e-tool, so I settled for an M1943.

I realized after it arrived that you can't really tell them apart if the tool is in the case.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top