Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2016 11:52:31 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experiences with retro clones Troy is putting out, like the XM177E2 or the GAU-5?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any experiences with retro clones Troy is putting out, like the XM177E2 or the GAU-5?
Thanks.
View Quote

comments by those that have bought them have been generally positive.  negatives were the engravings (can't remember which model had it) and the finish that is sprayed on and not anodized.  i think the only detail that was a big miss was the ejection port cover being a modern a2 one.

for the price, i think you can still build a more accurate clone.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
As stated the finish and markings are off. Finish is wrong color and texture sprayed over black anodizing. Look back about 2-3 months ago thee was another thread on this subject with lots of photos.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the thread with the pictures I posted of the Troy GAU-5/A/A.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought an XM177-E2 clone a couple months ago.  I like the way it looks and shoots (1/2" groups at 50 yards), but the front sight base was canted to port.

I stewed about it for awhile and decided to send the upper back to Troy.  They sent me a new upper, and the replacement upper's front sight base is canted about the same to starboard - disappointing.  The finish doesn't match my lower now either, but it's close.

It's functional, but I even though this I bought this rifle mostly to look at, I expect it to be assembled correctly.  While it functions fine and is zero'ed, having the rear sight adjusted almost to the limit does not present a natural sight picture when shouldering the rifle.  I guess I could give Troy another chance to fix it (again), but I'm not confident they will get it right the third time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought an XM177-E2 clone a couple months ago.  I like the way it looks and shoots (1/2" groups at 50 yards), but the front sight base was canted to port.

I stewed about it for awhile and decided to send the upper back to Troy.  They sent me a new upper, and the replacement upper's front sight base is canted about the same to starboard - disappointing.  The finish doesn't match my lower now either, but it's close.

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/user/allanedavis/media/Troy%20XM177E2%20after%20trip%20back%20to%20Troy%20-%20front%20sight%20canted%20the%20other%20way_zpscehjzfiz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/allanedavis/Troy%20XM177E2%20after%20trip%20back%20to%20Troy%20-%20front%20sight%20canted%20the%20other%20way_zpscehjzfiz.jpg</a>

It's functional, but I even though this I bought this rifle mostly to look at, I expect it to be assembled correctly.  While it functions fine and is zero'ed, having the rear sight adjusted almost to the limit does not present a natural sight picture when shouldering the rifle.  I guess I could give Troy another chance to fix it (again), but I'm not confident they will get it right the third time.
View Quote

Wouldn't be happy with that in the least.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]
That's totally un acceptable from a firearms manufacturer. Esp since this is the second upper. I would demand a refund and build your own. You will be much happier with the finished product.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's totally un acceptable from a firearms manufacturer. Esp since this is the second upper. I would demand a refund and build your own. You will be much happier with the finished product.
View Quote

This. For what you have to pay for those things they should be to spec.

There is still flashing on the FSB? That is not retro.

Disclaimer:
No ulterior motives relating to the actions of this company influenced this recommendation to the OP. All recommendations are based on technical merit and unrelated to any other non-technical actions taken by the company who produced said product or it's employees/owners. All recommendations are based on said company delivering an objectively sub-par product, on a technical level, to the OP, twice.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top