Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2016 10:10:42 PM EDT
I have two uppers that I'm planning to use for some retro builds and I'm trying to figure out which colors these uppers are. For comparison, I have a Brownells A1 lower that is anodized black.
This first upper is a CH forge code that I'm planning to use for my XM177E2 build. (Getting close!)  It appears to have been black and is faded to a dark gray.  I have a 733 upper that is very similar in color, but completely gray. I believe this is the XM gray.

Next, I have this slick side CM forge code upper that has a large pin front lug.  I picked up this upper with the charging handle.  This upper is slightly lighter than the CH upper above and is solid in color. I got the gray delta ring from a member here not too long ago and is coated in Norrell's XM gray.  The delta ring is slightly lighter than the upper.

I have a can of Brownell's Aluma-hyde II in dark park gray coming Wednesday. Does anyone know where the Aluma-hyde will fall in this spectrum?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm very interested in this thread. I want to coat my receivers in a grey finish to get that look. I have a receiver in the white that needs a finish put on it. Tagging for later so I can follow along with you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have two uppers that I'm planning to use for some retro builds and I'm trying to figure out which colors these uppers are. For comparison, I have a Brownells A1 lower that is anodized black.
This first upper is a CH forge code that I'm planning to use for my XM177E2 build. (Getting close!)  It appears to have been black and is faded to a dark gray.  I have a 733 upper that is very similar in color, but completely gray. I believe this is the XM gray.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/20160924_082046_zpswyenxli3.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/20160924_081859_zpsz9tdutkl.jpg

Next, I have this slick side CM forge code upper that has a large pin front lug.  I picked up this upper with the charging handle.  This upper is slightly lighter than the CH upper above and is solid in color. I got the gray delta ring from a member here not too long ago and is coated in Norrell's XM gray.  The delta ring is slightly lighter than the upper.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/20160924_082013_zpsnotm8vrv.jpg

I have a can of Brownell's Aluma-hyde II in dark park gray coming Wednesday. Does anyone know where the Aluma-hyde will fall in this spectrum?
View Quote

I have had 4 cans of Alumahyde dark park before and not one of them match the last can. It could be anywhere Ive had dark gray, primer gray, blue gray and green gray I gave up and use US anodizing or Norelles Molly for all my work and that works. Buy cheap get cheap. Alumahyde is thick and not very close to Colt gray FWIW

BELOW:
Some parts are Norelles, some are original colt anodizing and others are US anodizing. Can you tell which is which?  IMHO dont use Alumahyde.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I love that GREEN stock!
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/sergio762/media/20160918_192015_zpsd3u4jrrn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/sergio762/20160918_192015_zpsd3u4jrrn.jpg</a>
View Quote

Looks good!!!  Need to sharpen that lawnmower blade tho.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love that GREEN stock!
View Quote

You can buy it back when the real one goes on in a week or so.....Ill even throw in the grip LOL
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]
No thanks, but you should list it for sale in the EE.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
So, a lot has transpired in a day. I've decided to sell the slick side upper and one of my Brownells A1 lowers to a local guy and forum member. He's looking to build a Vietnam era rifle.
It was good to get some feedback about the Aluma-Hyde II, however disappointing as it may be. I might save it for another project, my Savage FVSR.

I was reading another thread about a dry lube coating that Colt used on some of their parts. I wonder if the CH code upper has it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#9]
For what its worth, here is my retro that I used the Alumahyde II Dark Parkerizing paint. Several different poses for comparative purposes. I am far from an authority on what is the correct grey but I am happy with the appearance and the durability.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top