Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2016 11:19:18 PM EDT
I have a few early fixed stocks and they seem to be swollen on the inside, preventing a buffer tube from being inserted without hammering. Any idea what the deal is with this?  What is the best way to deal with it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
that foam they filled the stock shell with can swell when left without a buffer tube.  take a dowel rod and wrap some sandpaper around it and work it a little and it'll be good.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that foam they filled the stock shell with can swell when left without a buffer tube.  take a dowel rod and wrap some sandpaper around it and work it a little and it'll be good.
View Quote

THIS^^^^ and yes, I have actually done it for several stocks. You can also just use a full sheet of sandpaper, roll it to form a tube. When you insert it into the stock, rotate it in the direction that makes the tube of paper want to open. (if that makes sense)
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Swollen foam might explain why I've found all different cross section sizes of D's when cutting them for 607 stocks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I made a tool to sand the inside.  
A short dowel rod with a strip of sandpaper glued to it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you guys use a real coarse grit?

I had trouble getting the sand particle out of the stock once I had done the sandpaper/dowel trick.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I used an old 12 gauge bore brush on a cleaning rod to "sand" away at it till it fit. Worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I had trouble getting the sand particle out of the stock once I had done the sandpaper/dowel trick.
View Quote
I noticed this as an issue also. I found myself spending a lot of time re-sizeing receiver extension holes  that were swollen, or custom turning tubes for ones that wound up oversized.

I wound up making a reamer for them ,its quick clean and repeatable.

I have also seen a few that were so swollen I'm surprised they didn't burst. Lots of different foam compositions were used in those type D's. Ive seen enough variations I could probably write a chapter on composition of stock bodies and filler material
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I noticed this as an issue also. I found myself spending a lot of time re-sizeing receiver extension holes  that were swollen, or custom turning tubes for ones that wound up oversized.

I have also seen a few that were so swollen I'm surprised they didn't burst. Lots of different foam compositions were used in those type D's. Ive seen enough variations I could probably write a chapter on composition of stock bodies and filler material
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Matt, if you would care to write that chapter it would be well received. I know I would like to read about them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Matt, if you would care to write that chapter it would be well received. I know I would like to read about them.
View Quote

+1 but I have a feeling we might not get to read it until after deer season
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^LOL^^^^^

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

^^^LOL^^^^^

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^LOL^^^^^

This may be true

I kick myself for not taking pics or keeping broken ones, and taking pics of odd filler materials. I do have one that is almost twice its normal width and half the receiver extension tube is closed. very odd.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This may be true

I kick myself for not taking pics or keeping broken ones, and taking pics of odd filler materials. I do have one that is almost twice its normal width and half the receiver extension tube is closed. very odd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^LOL^^^^^

This may be true

Here is the swollen one I referenced. I cleaned the receiver extension hole out a bit. this sole so much it changed the heel toe distance.

IMG_0295 by Deer Hunter, on Flickr" />

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top