Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2016 2:58:46 PM EDT
I posted this thread and followed the recommendation to ask here instead.  

So, I recently found this upper locally, it's a PM forge code which I understand to be a late 80s or early 90s A1 replacement, and it is coated with what seems to be a dry film lube.  According to one response in the other thread, this was a standard practice from TM 9-1005-319-23 & P and I should come here to the retro forum for info on the coating.

My questions are:
Is there a product available that will match this coating of I want to touch it up or make a lower match?
What should I use to strip it off if I decide to do that?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#1]
That is dry film lube and it's tough stuff to remove.  

Brownell's Aluma-hyde in park gray will be close.   http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/air-cure-aerosol-paints/aluma-hyde-ii-prod1117.aspx

Here is one I had
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Would something like Alumahyde or Norrells Moly Resin stick over the top of it?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Hello.  I can't really tell what it is from the picture, but it looks like some of it is wearing off to black on the edges.  If you are trying to remove the paint this is good news.  I have had the best luck with this brand stripper. (it is among the choices that are local to me)

http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/aircraft-paint-remover

Lacquer thinner works well but is not as strong as the stripper.  If it is tough to remove, put it in a zip lock bag, pour some in, squeeze the air out and let it sit for a couple hours.  Scrub with a tooth brush, wipe off, repeat as necessary.  (You can do this with lacquer thinner too, it tends to leak out the invisible holes though)  In stubborn spots you can use a brass tooth brush, it might leave a coating of brass particles but they will rub off eventually.   Good luck and do this in ventilation and point a fan at your head while you do this if possible.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like Sandstrom.9a or perma slik.
View Quote

Perma slik is what it might be; I had a can of it years ago and I refinished some worn out USGI magazines.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would something like Alumahyde or Norrells Moly Resin stick over the top of it?
View Quote

Nope, I had a surplus A1 fulton upper that was like this a few years ago. had to have it professionally stripped and re anodized.. Nothing would stick for long, a fingernail would take it off.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top