Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 9:58:20 PM EDT
I recently picked this kit up here on AR15.com a couple weeks ago.  I'm excited about it, it has some near late 1960s transitional features.  The condition is amazing. Here are a few quick pix.  I'm excited to build this one!  

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw that one on the EE and probably would have bought it if I had seen the pics on a computer instead of my phone.  That is really nice, I'd consider it 1969.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:27:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw that one on the EE and probably would have bought it if I had seen the pics on a computer instead of my phone.  That is really nice, I'd consider it 1969.
View Quote

Wow, you got a really clean war-time 603 upper and a really nice condition D stock.  But I could have swore they start using trap-door (E stocks) by 1969 or 1970.  But butt-stock assembly could have came off another rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If I understand that the type E kicked in during 1969.  

The features of the rifle suggest 1969, reading Internet "gospel." I would assume that features would transition through production?  

The upper has a roll pinned front swivel, C MP C barrel, and unmarked FSB with flashing removed, features found in 1968 (and/or earlier), but pretty much unheard of in 1970?. The handguard have drain holes, but are not marked L and R.

The square forged receiver is also cool.  

I'm content with the late type D stock that came with the kit… I'm going to use it.  

Of course, it is a parts kit… as Pro2ndAm suggested, the stock could have come from another rifle.  

Maybe I'm a dork, but I find this interesting…. or maybe I'm "Pushing too Hard," reminiscent of some of old man hippie music.  I find that funny, considering how anal retentive some of the retro guys can get (which I appreciate).  

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Man, I looked at your pix...
You're pushing too hard, by the Seeds, was bouncing around my noggin
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If I understand correctly, the receiver is an earlier XM16E1 profile?  

The previous owner stated that the parts came from a complete gun was was demilled, came out of California of all places.  Of course," don't buy stories...."

I understand that the characteristics place it in the 1968/69'timeframe, including the type D stock w/o trap door and drain hole handguards that are not marked R & L.

Any constructive thoughts?  

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The previous owner stated that the parts came from a complete gun was was demilled, came out of California of all places.  Of course, don't buy stories....

I understand that the characteristics place it in the 1968/69'timeframe, including the type D stock w/o trap door and drain hole handguards that are not marked R & L.

Thank you.
View Quote

Constructive...........slap a NoDak A1 lower on her and it looks like your ready to go.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Constructive...........slap a NoDak A1 lower on her and it looks like your ready to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The previous owner stated that the parts came from a complete gun was was demilled, came out of California of all places.  Of course, don't buy stories....

Thank you.

Ha ha.... on the waiting list Brother!  I am kicking around using a nice period correct (68/69 no forge Colt) round forge receiver instead.... will boil down to which one fits the Nodak best.  Also waiting on an A2 as well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The previous owner stated that the parts came from a complete gun was was demilled, came out of California of all places.  Of course," don't buy stories...."

Thank you.
View Quote

I think your upper receiver is an early round forge, others here mention a transitional upper receiver.  I found these pictures somewhere, does your receiver look like this one?  (Maybe take pictures exactly 90 degrees for comparison)

If all the parts on your upper are original to each other, I think of it as 1969.  (black slip ring, CMPC barrel)  The upper receiver might be a little old for 1969, but parts might get misplaced in a factory and eventually found and used even a couple years later.  I don't read too much into what stock happens to be on a rifle / in a group of parts that are sold together because it is much easier to mix a (loose) stock up than a barrel / slip ring / upper receiver combination.  I like the group of parts you have, I wouldn't change anything on the upper if you were thinking of doing that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

I would suggest getting a Nodak Spud NDS-XM16E1 lower (partial-fence). It would be correct for what you have.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like a nice complete 69-71 era M16A1 upper.

Round forge upper receiver, C MP C barrel, no forging flash on the FSB, and bird cage flash hider.

IIRC the E Type stock did not debut until the 71-72 timeframe, so that Type D is perfectly acceptable for a late 60s M16A1.

Correct lower receiver would be a full fence A1 lower, as XM16E1 production had ceased by end of 1967 at the latest.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would suggest getting a Nodak Spud NDS-XM16E1 lower (partial-fence). It would be correct for what you have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

CMP C barrels are from the 69 to 71 era and partial fence lowers were already out of production for a number of years at that point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Hank you for the input guys.  I am content with the 1969 vintage, and use of full fence A1 lower.

In regard to the receiver, is there a link which differentiates a "transitional" round forge from "traditional" round forge?  Comparing the receiver to images online, and against the round forge receivers that I have on hand, it looks square forge to me..... am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hank you for the input guys.  I am content with the 1969 vintage, and use of full fence A1 lower.

In regard to the receiver, is there a link which differentiates a "transitional" round forge from "traditional" round forge?  Comparing the receiver to images online, and against the round forge receivers that I have on hand, it looks square forge to me..... am I missing something?
View Quote

Look at the area just above the magwell. Here is an early M16A1 (with MPC barrel) Its slightly rounded like yours.

Compared to an early XM16E1, look how squared off the edges are in the same area.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Ahhhh.... nice, thank you.  

What is the time frame for the "transitional" round forge receiver?  Does it fall within timeframe for a late XM16E1 (have gears funding in my head for an additional project.....)?  

Thank you for the education.  The waters are murky, and opinions are numerous.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive been looking back through some of my saved pictures on my comp (was on mobile earlier).....I dont have a good left side close up of a factory assembled XM16E1. If anyone here does, Id love to see a pic, especially if its on a full fence lower.

I have some saved pics of 604's with factory assembled MP12 barrels and their forge lines are slightly rounded, but no 603s.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Murky waters indeed, here is my own "Surplus complete upper" that has rebated BLACK front lug like yours, and very round forge on port side. This upper has later Colt CMPB marked barrel, gray slip ring. No COLT proof marks on upper so maybe a replacement upper? Yes Murky indeed!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top