Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 9:40:47 PM EDT
I pinned and welded an extended flash suppressor  to a barrel yesterday to make it a legal length.  Everything seemed fine, but then I looked through the barrel an saw that the pin went into the bore slightly.  Its very slight and just thought it was dirt at first.  Is there anything that I can do or is this barrel junk now?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I pinned and welded an extended flash suppressor  to a barrel yesterday to make it a legal length.  Everything seemed fine, but then I looked through the barrel an saw that the pin went into the bore slightly.  Its very slight and just thought it was dirt at first.  Is there anything that I can do or is this barrel junk now?

Thanks
View Quote

Sorry, it's junk. At least that is my opinion. You can salvage the barrel for another build though. Have Adco chop and thread the barrel behind the intrusion.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I was afraid of that.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
you could drill out the pin and repin it without it protruding.  it may not have much of an impact like a gas port.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, it's junk. At least that is my opinion. You can salvage the barrel for another build though. Have Adco chop and thread the barrel behind the intrusion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

This is best option.  Cut it down to a MK18ish or 14.5 barrel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Counter bore it, or send it to me and ill do some mag dumps till its gone lol.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
you could drill out the pin and repin it without it protruding.  it may not have much of an impact like a gas port.
View Quote

Re-do the pinning job correctly (no protrusion) and see how it shoots. The area will cover in carbon fouling and probably be fine, imo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

If you did it to your own barrel, then just shoot a few mags through it and see how it shoots.  Probably still shoots to .mil specs.  May shoot slightly to the pin side.  

If you did it to someone else's barrel, then you should buy them a new barrel and practice on your barrel until proficient.

Shoot it and see.  probably will be fine, but won't be "precision"
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Not to be a jerk, but you knew the answer to the question before you asked?  There is only one reasonable solution.  I wouldn't call the barrel "junk," .... Just a little bit shorter and a little lighter in the pocket book (unless you have a lathe).  

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was wondering if a deep recessed type crown might be used
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:34:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This may be a viable option.  I may be able to drill it out ok, tap the hole of the flash suppressor, and use a hex screw instead of a pin.

Thanks Boywonder!!  By the way, do you have an H&R BCG that you would be interested in selling?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you did it to your own barrel, then just shoot a few mags through it and see how it shoots.  Probably still shoots to .mil specs.  May shoot slightly to the pin side.  

If you did it to someone else's barrel, then you should buy them a new barrel and practice on your barrel until proficient.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

It was a friends barrel so I will likely replace it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Re-do the pinning job correctly (no protrusion) and see how it shoots. The area will cover in carbon fouling and probably be fine, imo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think I will try this method!

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:38:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It might not make an impact.... or maybe it will.... I'd suspect the later, considering the location is so close to the muzzle.  I would not be content with this plan of action, especially on a retro build that requires leg work and attention to detail.  Treat people the way you want to be treated....
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd  say you got a new barrel
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should work just fine.

Counter bored mosin shoot well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I don't know if this would be such a good idea. I would be wary of gas escaping from the hole left in the barrel after you re-pin it. If you go this route, be very careful when you shoot it for the first time. The extra escaping gas near the gas port could cause some cycling issues at the lest or damage to something at the worst.  If there is no gas leaking for the first 100rds or so then it should be fine. I know I may be a buzz kill, but I don't take chances with damaged barrels.

Barrels are going to be pretty cheap with labor day coming up. I know Primary Arms is having a big labor day sale.

Numrich has a pinned to 16", 14.5" barrel with an izzy flash hider for $130.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1503160.htm

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Counter bore it <snip>
View Quote

This. Should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#18]
What's the barrel profile, current length, etc?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's the barrel profile, current length, etc?
View Quote

The barrel is a standard Colt M4 barrel with a length of 14.5 inches.  I was able to get the BCM extended flash suppressor off and removed the pin. I ordered a new flash suppressor for it. Will use a hex screw instead of a pin this time. I am hoping that there will be no effect as the bullet as it leaves the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This. Should be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Counter bore it <snip>

This. Should be fine.

What do you mean by counter bore it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Counter bore it <snip>

This. Should be fine.

Something akin to this:

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I misunderstood. I was thinking the botched pin job was for the front sight post. If it is near the end of the barrel and the new pin and muzzle brake will cover it, then it will be ok, just make sure there is no intrusion into the actual bore.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I misunderstood. I was thinking the botched pin job was for the front sight post. If it is near the end of the barrel and the new pin and muzzle brake will cover it, then it will be ok, just make sure there is no intrusion into the actual bore.
View Quote

Sounds good!  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Ignore anyone that says the barrel is ruined/accuracy will be awful. NOBODY can tell you if it will shoot accurately or not, you will have to check it to know for sure. Just remove the botched pin/'hider, install another and pin it in another location, weld/smooth it down.

ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Double post......
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ignore anyone that says the barrel is ruined/accuracy will be awful. NOBODY can tell you if it will shoot accurately or not, you will have to check it to know for sure. Just remove the botched pin/'hider, install another and pin it in another location, weld/smooth it down.

ARKAR
View Quote

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Counter bore it <snip>

This. Should be fine.

Something akin to this:

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/gwillyh/Mosin/1915%20Finn%20NEW/counterbore.jpg

I would do this only if accuracy was effected. Re-pin, shoot it for groups, if it sucks, get a competent gunsmith to counter bore past the damage and rock on.

Oh and get some pictures up so we can give you a hard time!
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Just an update.  I removed the old pin and ordered a new extended A2 flash suppressor from BCM.  This time I drilled out the existing hole and used an 8-32 tap to use a 8-32 x 3/16 HEX screw instead of the tiny pin that they supplied.  I then welded over the hole to permanently attach the flash suppressor.  Took the rifle to the range and it shot PERFECT tight groups.    Thanks for all of your help and opinions on what I should do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just an update.  I removed the old pin and ordered a new extended A2 flash suppressor from BCM.  This time I drilled out the existing hole and used an 8-32 tap to use a 8-32 x 3/16 HEX screw instead of the tiny pin that they supplied.  I then welded over the hole to permanently attach the flash suppressor.  Took the rifle to the range and it shot PERFECT tight groups.    Thanks for all of your help and opinions on what I should do.
View Quote

You stated earlier that you did the work for someone else.  They are content with your plan of action?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You stated earlier that you did the work for someone else.  They are content with your plan of action?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, he was very happy with it!  The groups were extremely tight and the rifle functioned perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, he was very happy with it!  The groups were extremely tight and the rifle functioned perfectly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good job!
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Honestly, you were good to tell the person what happened, but you should have said you will be replacing the barrel at no charge to make up for it.

Even though he said he was "happy" with it, I don't believe he was 100% fine with the outcome. It still doesn't change the fact you messed up the barrel and should have replaced it.

Just my 2 cents though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Honestly, you were good to tell the person what happened, but you should have said you will be replacing the barrel at no charge to make up for it.

Even though he said he was "happy" with it, I don't believe he was 100% fine with the outcome. It still doesn't change the fact you messed up the barrel and should have replaced it.

Just my 2 cents though.
View Quote

There was no need to replace the barrel just for the sake of replacing it.  If it did not function properly I would have gladly replaced it for him.  I did absorb the cost of replacing the flash suppressor and the materials necessary to make the repair (tap & drill).  The end product was exactly what he wanted, an M4 replica that will shoot the wings off a fly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There was no need to replace the barrel just for the sake of replacing it.  If it did not function properly I would have gladly replaced it for him.  I did absorb the cost of replacing the flash suppressor and the materials necessary to make the repair (tap & drill).  The end product was exactly what he wanted, an M4 replica that will shoot the wings off a fly.
View Quote

An extra hole was drilled THROUGH the barrel into the rifling. It was not done as muzzle porting, it was a MISTAKE and should not be there.

That is not acceptable.

Covering the hole with the flash hider and saying 'It may have an extra hole in the barrel near the muzzle, but at least it shoots good' is not acceptable for a gunsmith to say to a customer.

It should have been replaced and done properly, period.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

An extra hole was drilled THROUGH the barrel into the rifling. It was not done as muzzle porting, it was a MISTAKE and should not be there.

That is not acceptable.

Covering the hole with the flash hider and saying 'It may have an extra hole in the barrel near the muzzle, but at least it shoots good' is not acceptable for a gunsmith to say to a customer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is not acceptable.

Well in this case, it's not up to you is it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well in this case, it's not up to you is it?
View Quote

Never said it was.

I simply posted my 2 cents about what should have been the professional way to fix the mistake.

What the customer received was an 'Eh, it's good enough I guess'.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Not a customer, a friend of the OPs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Guess I was raised differently that when you break or damage something of another persons, you fix it properly or replace it.

Covering the hole is not 'fixing it' as far as accidentally drilling into the barrel. The hole will still accumulate powder and copper jacket residue.

Anyone who argues this is an acceptable "repair" should not be working on firearms.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn straight, that's the bottom line here.  

Two buddies get together.  The buddy with the barrel wants to save a few bucks over sending the work off to a professional and the non-professional hobbyist buddy offers to take a whang at it.  We've all done similar.  Under those circumstances, both buddies share equal responsibility for the mistake and if both parties are happy with the fix, ain't nobody's business but their own.

This other guy ain't here for nuthin' but to stir the shit, ARKAR.  Just sayin'.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Two buddies get together.  The buddy with the barrel wants to save a few bucks over sending the work off to a professional and the non-professional hobbyist buddy offers to take a whang at it.  We've all done similar.  Under those circumstances, both buddies share equal responsibility for the mistake and if both parties are happy with the fix, ain't nobody's business but their own.

This other guy ain't here for nuthin' but to stir the shit, ARKAR.  Just sayin'.

[url=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_nIftsyjDUs/TfHtlrzH1YI/AAAAAAAAAJU/ucbQ4umE_z0/s1600/shit+burn.jpg]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_nIftsyjDUs/TfHtlrzH1YI/AAAAAAAAAJU/ucbQ4umE_z0/s1600/shit+burn.jpg[url=http://
http://]
View Quote

How am I here just to "stir the shit" when pointing out a sub-standard repair?

Mistakes happen, I wasn't arguing against that fact, or saying that the OP should have never tried to do it himself.

I simply pointed out that the repair (just covering the hole), was not an acceptable repair, and the barrel should have been shortened or replaced.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Mistakes happen, I wasn't arguing against that fact, or saying that the OP should have never tried to do it himself.

I simply pointed out that the repair (just covering the hole), was not an acceptable repair, and the barrel should have been shortened or replaced.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[url=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_nIftsyjDUs/TfHtlrzH1YI/AAAAAAAAAJU/ucbQ4umE_z0/s1600/shit+burn.jpg]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_nIftsyjDUs/TfHtlrzH1YI/AAAAAAAAAJU/ucbQ4umE_z0/s1600/shit+burn.jpg[url=http://

Not sure  if OP or buddy cares about your opinion at this point being that its "good" for both of them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_nIftsyjDUs/TfHtlrzH1YI/AAAAAAAAAJU/ucbQ4umE_z0/s1600/shit+burn.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_nIftsyjDUs/TfHtlrzH1YI/AAAAAAAAAJU/ucbQ4umE_z0/s1600/shit+burn.jpg

Thanks for your support on this.  I've been helping my friend acquire the necessary parts for this over the past year and a half for this project. He is not a customer and this is not my field of business.   I helped him mill the 80% lower after having it engraved Braceman.  This is not the first time I have ever pinned and welded a barrel, but it is the first time I ever used a flash suppressor from BCM which uses a very small pin.  As I said earlier, if this mistake was an issue in the performance of the barrel, or if it should in the future, I would replace it.  Shortening the barrel creates other problems.  For now, this solution to the problem and it seems to be working fine.  Once again I would like to thank those here in this forum for your input.

Best Regards,

M4it
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thanks for your support on this.  I've been helping my friend acquire the necessary parts for this over the past year and a half for this project. He is not a customer and this is not my field of business.   I helped him mill the 80% lower after having it engraved Braceman.  This is not the first time I have ever pinned and welded a barrel, but it is the first time I ever used a flash suppressor from BCM which uses a very small pin.  As I said earlier, if this mistake was an issue in the performance of the barrel, or if it should in the future, I would replace it.  Shortening the barrel creates other problems.  For now, this solution to the problem and it seems to be working fine.  Once again I would like to thank those here in this forum for your input.

Best Regards,

M4it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best Regards,

M4it

Nicely done sir. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I agree, why stir up shit if both parties are happy?  If this is what you like to do, then please keep that crap in GD and stay out of the tech forums.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought a barrel the other day it had a hole all the way through from the chamber to the muzzle and I was pretty pissed off
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I bought a barrel the other day it had a hole all the way through from the chamber into the muzzle and I was pretty pissed off
View Quote

LOL, got a few from the factory that are like that!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for requesting clarification.

The parties involved, of which you are not one of, have arrived at what is, for them, an acceptable solution to their dilemma.  Whilst you, who are not involved, repeatedly deem it unacceptable.

Ya follow?

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I bought a barrel the other day it had a hole all the way through from the chamber into the muzzle and I was pretty pissed off
View Quote

There it is!
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Good excuse to build that XM177 or GAU5A project that you've subconsciously been wanting to do.....
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top