Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2016 10:15:50 AM EDT
In the early 1980's, I wanted one of these more than anything in the world, but on Christmas morning what I got was a Ruger 10/22 instead. Still have it. At the Miami gunshow a few weeks ago I saw this on a table with 2 mags, the guy wanted $225 for it out the door. I knew it was kinda a POS but seeing it brought me back to my childhood, so I bought it. Took it to the range to make sure it worked, and it did, 200 rounds, no issues, very accurate. It is a Armi Jager AP-74 .22 LR, made in Italy, imported by EMF in the 80's. This is the "Sport" model that came with wood stocks. It was pretty beat up when I bought it so I figured I'd  refinish it to look 601 ish. I disassembled it fully and blasted all the metal. The receivers are cast aluminum. I used Norrells grayish/black. I darkened the blond wood to a deep reddish brown to resemble an ealry 601. Thought you might like to see it, sorry for the so so pic quality. Don't go makin' fun of me for it neither, I think it's cool as hell

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
That came out beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Very cool.... I've seen these around, thought they were neat.  The wood is awesome, that I have not seen.  How do they shoot/function?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't make fun of a firearm that brings back youthful memories.
Awesome job.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool.... I've seen these around, thought they were neat.  How do they shoot?
View Quote

This one shoots nice, excellent trigger pull, the 200 rounds were pretty much all in a golf ball size ragged hole. The mags are only 10 rounds though. The bad thing is that there are almost no replacement parts available. This will be more a wall hanger/conversation piece type rifle for me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Careful when receiver is open don't pull trigger on cocked hammer or you may damage
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice job ! Thanks for sharing.
You may want to also post this in the "Rimfire and Pistol caliber" thread.
They could use a little Retro love. : )
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Very nice rifle for a couple hundred bucks.  It cleaned up nice.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Beautiful! I've always liked the look of the Jagers, and thought of it as a nice alternative to people doing .22 uppers and whatnot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#10]
That looks very cool!

As a kid, I too drooled over one of those, I just didn't know it.
I thought the guys in my favorite horror movie were using M16s.
However, if they are good enough for Dawn of the Dead, they are good enough for me.....

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow! Thanks for sharing. I've never seen one before! Now I know.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Great looking and very interesting rifle! I didn't know there was anything like this.

If we are talking about memories of childhood. Back in the 80's someone released an A1 M16 BB/pellet gun. I wish I could find one. I tried talking my parents into buying me one when I was a kid but I already had a BB gun and they thought I didn't need it. When I started working a summer job I couldn't find one to buy. I need to start a thread and see if anyone has info or knows of where I can find one.

Great rifle and thanks for sharing and enjoy it!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Great childhood dream realized!  Congrats.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember those from the old Shotgun News ads from long ago. I believe they originally came with some pretty ugly blond-colored wood on them. Yours looks great now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#15]

I read on arfcom a couple of years ago that some guy turned in dozens on non-working Armi-Jaegers at a buy back program and got $100 each, or whatever it was.

He was a Hollywood prop guy. They apparently used blank firing versions in lots of bad movies. They were worthless as guns but the antis bought them all.

Anyway, nice score. May it bring you much happiness

P.S. - Your parents did you a favor with the 10-22
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember wanting one of those too, it looks great!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I had the one in 32ACP. It was a jamomatic POS.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Now you need to start collecting accessories.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#19]
That's great, OP, you and I share something in common, I too wanted the Jaeger, I really wanted a SP1 Colt R6000
but after working all of the summer of 1980, all I could afford was the AP74, the guy at the gun store talked me into the Ruger 10/22 instead lol.

I still have the Ruger, but the Jaeger still gives me warm fuzzies, recall looking at the exploded diagram of it in the American rifleman for
hours on end :)

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's great, OP, you and I share something in common, I too wanted the Jaeger, I really wanted a SP1 Colt R6000
but after working all of the summer of 1980, all I could afford was the AP74, the guy at the gun store talked me into the Ruger 10/22 instead lol.

I still have the Ruger, but the Jaeger still gives me warm fuzzies, recall looking at the exploded diagram of it in the American rifleman for
hours on end :)

View Quote

That's funny, in 1986 my dad gave me a brand new old stock SP-1 for Christmas (he paid $250 for it, blow out sale when the A2s started rolling in) I was 16 then.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#21]
That's cool!.  I had no idea those were from Dawn of the Dead.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Good score and nice refinish.  I wanted one too.  I drooled over the EMF Shotgun News ads too hoping to get one - Oddly enough I just ended going for a Sendra lower and AR parts kit in 223 AR15 instead.  I did always want one.  Seems like people want a lot for them these days.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Man! i wanted one of those too back in the day and i wasn't a kid.. l i ended up buying a brand new Colt SP2 instead.. it's one of the first transitional models mostly A1 with A2 HG's.. but a few hundred rnds down the range and i still wanted one of those wood jagers. i liked the wood stocked ones better than the black plastic  ones that came out later.. i never did get one..  now your great job on the one you got makes me want one all over again...  again... great work..  oh by the way  i still have the early SP2 in it original clothes..
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one of those........ I love it.  Mine is the plastic triangle stock version.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Very cool. Well done.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#26]
They also did AKs, Famas and Galils

My local shop had a .22 mag Galil made by Mitchell that I would have bought but was on hold

I did buy an RPK .22 they had one time though but forget who it was made by now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:13:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Great looking and very interesting rifle! I didn't know there was anything like this.

If we are talking about memories of childhood. Back in the 80's someone released an A1 M16 BB/pellet gun. I wish I could find one. I tried talking my parents into buying me one when I was a kid but I already had a BB gun and they thought I didn't need it. When I started working a summer job I couldn't find one to buy. I need to start a thread and see if anyone has info or knows of where I can find one.

Great rifle and thanks for sharing and enjoy it!
View Quote

My dad bought me one of those BB guns when I was a kid. The Crossman Air-17. Back then, I thought it looked just like an M16.
Looking at it now, it looks like an abortion!

They basically took a standard Crossman single pump rifle and added a bunch of goofy looking stuff to it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I wanted one sooo bad back then too. My Grandpa was a dealer, and I used to go with him to the local shows. I found one at one of the shows, and spent two days dropping "subtle" hints, but there was no way he was going to get me one of those "cheap pieces of junk". I ended up getting an SP1 from him a few years later, so it all worked out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one with the black plastic furniture I've had since I was about 9 or 10.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top