Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2016 9:58:57 AM EDT
Ok if you had the parts to build either but only just enough parts to build one, which would you build and why.

Hypothetical I know as no one can only build just one but for the sake of the convo assume you are only ever going to build just the one.

I would lean to the GAU 5 in that I lke the cleaner and simpler (KISS) lines and lesser parts with no FA and it just seems to be a little more esoteric.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Id do the GAU5 just because I had a lot of contact with them in the mid 90's, and they were cool. All hand stamped and overstamped, just some arms room "fuck it lets make one" parts whores that were just awesome.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I already have an XM177E2, but, if I were to do it over I'd make a GAU-5A/A instead.
I like the slick side upper for its simplicity. It's got everything you need, and nothing you don't!

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Ok if you had the parts to build either but only just enough parts to build one, which would you build and why.
Hypothetical I know as no one can only build just one but for the sake of the convo assume you are only ever going to build just the one.
I would lean to the GAU 5 in that I lke the cleaner and simpler (KISS) lines and lesser parts with no FA and it just seems to be a little more esoteric.
View Quote
GAU-5A/A. Do it! Love the simplicity of mine. Sometimes it wears an ACOG reflex, makes an awesome plinker

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Call me crazy but I prefer the xm177e2 with the FA. Just looks more visually appealing to me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always preferred the XM177E2.  I like the tear drop FA.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Those are sweet carbines.

I am going GAU unless I just happen to come across something that compels me to go XM say like an original early barrel assembly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Those are sweet carbines.

I am going GAU unless I just happen to come across something that compels me to go XM say like an original early barrel assembly.
View Quote
There's something very appealing about the GAU, the beauty is in the minimal-ness of it all when compared to all my high-speed Colt 6920s, MK18, etc. Just feels right with those irons. I've been in your shoes and built all variants as I couldn't decide on just one model: 177e1/e2 and GAU5a and a/a. One day I'll do a GUU to round it all out. Any of the GAUs or 177s are taken out with me when I go to shoot at a range. I've got some ex-mil guys a few years older than me that I shoot with and when they see that moderator gun come out of the case and are like "oh s***, a CAR15, lemme shoot it". That's the cool part for me. Whatever you decide you won't be disappointed, just remember to post pics
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]

This thread needs more GAU-5a/a goodness.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The color combo on that looks great.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This thread needs more GAU-5a/a goodness.

<a href="http://s264.photobucket.com/user/Birddog4570/media/IMG_4480_zps712b17d5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii190/Birddog4570/IMG_4480_zps712b17d5.jpg</a>

View Quote

Purty
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The color combo on that looks great.
View Quote

Thanks, Norell's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#12]

You know what i vote for.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top