Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2016 1:41:35 AM EDT
Hello all,

I am embarking on my last retro build, a 605, and I have a few questions.

Which front sling swivel is correct? Plain or coated?

I will be using a Fulton slick side upper. In pictures, it appears that the "605" style uppers with the shaved down FA are rebated under the ejection port. Did the 605s that used a regular slick side upper also have the rebated area under the ejection port?

Dimpled takedown pins & selector?

Finally, what year was the 605 made?

As this is going to be my last retro build (unless I make it a dedicated 22lr, or move out of state), I want to get as much of it as correct as possible.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:12:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the website "www.retroblackrifle.com", it has most of the answers you are looking for. Look for the 605 in the cabines section.

ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I know the site well.
I did miss the part about the pins/selector, though. Dimpled or plain.

However, the other questions I could not find answers for.

I thought that the cast front sight bases pre-dated the rubber coated sling swivels.  It lists the stock as a type D with coated swivels, but, does not mention the front swivel. Is it safe to assume that the front would be coated as well?

Also, were the 605s that used the standard slickside upper rebated under the port door?

If I knew what year(s) the 605s were produced, I would be able to better nail down some of the details.

My google-fu must be weak...
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#3]
All 605's were manuf. in 1965.  Beginning in Feb on into April.  Colt was running behind on a USAF contract for 604's so they shaved the FA protrusion off the uppers to fulfill orders.  Hence the unique 05 upper.  Not many were made.

I think it's safe to say all of the 605's would likely have had non-rubber coated swivels.  But some pics seem to indicate either.  Hard to tell from poor photos.  

Take down pins. Dimpled and non-dimpled and combinations of one each.

Transition era rifles are always hard to pin down the exact  little bits.

In these shots from Colt's DOD amended changes report.  The action of milling off the bolt closure device began in Jan-Feb 65 and was to be final in April 65.  It was in this window that the 605's were likely manufactured.

Here is the amended changes etc. in the original PDF file.  This is an invaluable resource to all those little detail bits and product improvements for 1965.  It's a wealth of info.

Here's the right one, courtesy of weaponsman:

http://weaponsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ADA953121.pdf
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Only a small number of the first run had the shaved upper. The rest of the run used a slick side. Either upper is correct, just early and late runs in the models short life.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent posts guys.
Hal, thanks for the link. Very informative stuff.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone have a serial number range?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Probably less than 25 made, but they should fall in here somewhere.

Ekie's info
50,000-199,999
1964-1965
US Property marked US Air Force M16 Colt's Model 604 & US Army XM16E1 Colt's Model 603.

It doesn't help much.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#9]
^ Better than nuthin.  Thanks Hal
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I was reviewing my kac photos hoping I had one I could blow up for the serial number, the photos from my visit were all port sides, the three 605s that Reed has are all shaved. This photo is the best one I have of the SN side but its too far away to make out any digits. Those are some pretty cool muzzle devices on the opposite side...

(I hear a bunch of ctrl ++++)
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top