Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2016 4:48:13 PM EDT
I've taken a few friends with their 1033 guns to shoot with my dad recently...

After sending him some links here he has already started grabbing up some retro parts...

But I have some questions..

1. Can someone customize a lower with this SN that he was issued?
2. I know of the legalities, but is there any company that will remove and clear the pocket to mimmick an m16 lower with no shelf?

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If he has a drill press, he can cut the shelf anyway he wants on an 80%.  Before he starts making chips, send it to Braceman or someone and have it engraved anyway he likes - engrave the actual manufacturer (him) along the trigger slot.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
What about something like York Arms. Expensive but they do custom serials.

http://www.yorkarms.com/receiver.html
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about something like York Arms. Expensive but they do custom serials.

http://www.yorkarms.com/receiver.html
View Quote

They produce modern lowers, which wouldn't be acceptable for someone trying to do an accurate replica of an A1.  The reinforcements and lug profiles wouldn't look right.

As someone else suggested.  Get a good 80% lower and send it to Braceman.  He can profile it and engrave it and make it look outstanding.
Then you'll need to take that engraved 80% lower and finish it yourself (you can get jigs from multiple sources to make the job relatively easy).
And, finally, if US Anodizing is accepting jobs, I'd have it anodized in retro grey.

It seems like a lot of work, but for a project of this kind, it's definitely worth the extra effort.  The finished product, if you want it to, will be so close to the real deal your dad will be looking for the happy switch.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
^^^^This!
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^^^^This!
View Quote

Guess I need to get ahold of braceman
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top