Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2016 5:24:55 PM EDT
This happens to be a friend of mine that has written this encyclopedia of USAF history. However I wanted to share here and also THANK allot of the long term members here in this part of the Forum because of what they have unknowingly contributed to this book. In it there are allot of weaponry pictures including one of the first AR15 601's that still resides at Lackland AFB in Texas. I was honored to contribute some narrative on the history and involvement of the Air force in getting the AR15 into action, as well as photographs of some of my clones, clones that I  built with the collective knowledge of the fine folks here in this board.  Hoping some will check it out and enjoy the amount of time and detail Chris has put into preserving this branch of the military's history.

Thank you all for your collective knowledge and attention to detail in this sickness of the black rifle. You have made me happier and broke.
Cheers!

http://www.chrisaphotography.com/
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
OOPS...almost forgot you can view some photos and preview some pages content on face book

https://www.facebook.com/APSPbook/
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a great read!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
380sps
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
That's very cool brother. Glad you were able to be a part of it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#5]
great pics  thanks

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm still short a waffle mag! Although they have been available my wallet has said no at 275 bucks!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]

One of my favorite Cold War era pics, a USAF SF sentry with the iconic S&W Model 15 with stag grips on a cross-draw holster. - Snazzy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]
For the GAU guys

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

aftermarket 40 rounder ?

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Rivet counters!

Why does the statue on the cover feature a forward assist (and possible trap-door stock)?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Indeed so, I believe he used the pics with the 20's in the book... Just thought Id share
Quoted:

aftermarket 40 rounder ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#12]
For that you'll have to ask the person that sculpted it and the people that approved it that don't look at rifles as critically as we do.  I believe it went something like... "and we want him holding a rifle"  

Quoted:
Rivet counters!

Why does the statue on the cover feature a forward assist (and possible trap-door stock)?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Curtis LeMay bought us the AR-15
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Rivet counters!

View Quote

it's also got A2 handgards
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Second to last pic at port arms Is a 601 or 604. I see no mag fence
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rivet counters!

That was fairly common when I was in (mid-90s).  Mostly triangles, but a few rounds here and there.  Never saw a 603, though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That was fairly common when I was in (mid-90s).  Mostly triangles, but a few rounds here and there.  Never saw a 603, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rivet counters!

In the 90's the USAF slowly transition to the M16A2, but maintained the older rifles as mobility weapons. Combat Arms Training and Maintenance (CATM) shops would stock 603 uppers as a suitable Substitute when 604 uppers were unavailable.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Rivet counters!

View Quote

Reminds me of the bayonet lugs on the M1 Carbines used in the famous Iwo Jima memorial statue.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I wanted to share a pic that was sent to the Author ( and now myself ), it is quite possibly one of the best photos I have ever seen of an original first generation 604 bought on contract 508
Note the WW2 style original cotton sling.
Thank you Mr. Leger for sharing your photos and thank you for your service!

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:38:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Probably because the sculptor used a red gun instead of a real M16A2.  The red gun rifles that I've seen were based on the C7/AR15 Sporter II
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top