Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2016 6:26:32 PM EDT
I found two of the Colt red blank magazines at a local gun show this weekend.  The magazines were painted brown, which I was able to strip off with acetone.  

It appears that the magazines were being used for regular ammo as the aluminum spacers were gone; any info out there on where to find or how to fabricate replacement spacers?

Here are some before and after photos.

Link for photos (NEW LINK): http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/uscgnaveng/library/

I can never seem to attach photos!

I paid $15 each for the magazines.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to sign in with a password to see those pics.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Not my pics, stolen from the net.

Looks like a standard sized piece of aluminum barstock, cut to length, with the corners chamfered at 45 degrees, and a feed lip machined on top at an angle from the flat portion of the follower to the top of the mag.

Looks like you still have the special followers. The filler piece should be easy to fab.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:21:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like something that is rather easy to fabricate. Take a standard 20-rounder, trim the aluminum follower, add the block and reanodize in red.

Any retro-head could do it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:59:53 AM EDT
[#4]
The hard part in reproducing these would be the stamping of the "BLANK" into the sides.  The "BLANK" is recessed and color-filled.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool find. At Lowes and Home Depot, theres a section where they sell metal stock, steel, alum, drill rod, all thread etc. They have aluminum flat stock 1/4" by 5/8" wide that I think would get you pretty close. Just have to cut to length and bevel the edges to fit with a belt sander or dremel. JB weld in place. Shouldn't be too hard
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
At $15 each, that's a great find--even with the challenge of restoring them.
Way to keep your eyes open!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The hard part in reproducing these would be the stamping of the "BLANK" into the sides.  The "BLANK" is recessed and color-filled.
View Quote

Most likely engraved with an old school pantograph, haven't seen one of those since machine shop class a long time ago.

Kind of like this...        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qQxEHDqZ4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top