Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2016 9:49:08 PM EDT
I've been wanting to pick up a M16A1 kit for a while and build a rifle out of it, but the prices on those kits has gone up quite a bit (around $700 with no barrel from what I've seen).  Sadly that means I need to choose between one of two retro options.  I'd love to have either one of them.

So, for those of you with experience with both, M16A1 or XM177E2?

I know there is a lot of Troy hate, I know the story, so let's focus on the firearms themselves.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The Troy XM is somewhat correct, but it has some issues.

The reprofile of the lower isn't perfect, it has an A2 ejection port cover and the moderator isn't quite right.

If you want an XM, you could build a better clone for that kind of money (or less).

It's cool that Troy brought it to market, but they could have done better for that kind of money IMO.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Troy XM is somewhat correct, but it has some issues.

The reprofile of the lower isn't perfect, it has an A2 ejection port cover and the moderator isn't quite right.

If you want an XM, you could build a better clone for that kind of money (or less).

It's cool that Troy brought it to market, but they could have done better for that kind of money IMO.
View Quote

I get a little impatient, and really get sick of seeing "out of stock" or not finding parts I need in an exchange, so the Troy option is nice for me because it's all there and put together, no hassle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I have more pride in ownership when I build my own. Any Tom, Dick, and Harry can buy one if they have the cash. How many guys will take the time and effort to build one the right way? Not a great many.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
[Ordered a Troy. Simple, done, and thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Personally, I have more pride in ownership when I build my own. Any Tom, Dick, and Harry can buy one if they have the cash. How many guys will take the time and effort to build one the right way? Not a great many.
View Quote

If have to agree with this
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. The parts can take some work to find. So when it's built, it feels like a real labor of love.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yup. The parts can take some work to find. So when it's built, it feels like a real labor of love.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That to me is the fun of the build, "the thrill of the hunt".
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually enjoy the search, acquisition and collection of parts more than shooting.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I actually enjoy the search, acquisition and collection of parts more than shooting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I TOTALLY agree!!  If Bill Gates wanted a Colt 601, all he would have to do is snap his fingers and he would have a dozen to choose from.  MOST people would have to scrimp, save, plan and hunt for one that we could afford.  The DREAMING & the PLANNING can be as much fun as the OWNING.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Troy has corrections with ruby ridge if you care.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes and The Nazi's. had connections to the flags helmets and P-38's and full auto's I collected over 45 years also. Buying the rifle not his polotiks or his employment practice.{ but I hear he had a rough patch with that case}

However if it is a crap pile  the XM I will say so.....I Don't have all that expertise to hunt and find parts all day.  and not young anymore to wait things out. just buy and enjoy.

when others get another 25 or 30 years under the belt, they might feel the same. but a salute to the guys here that can find the stuff and do it right 100%, that is why we have guys who can build a Ferrari, and the driver who can win races with them, It is a unique person who can do both. Build and drive.
A few here reported they bought them already and seemed pleased. {but for a few things} its also 1200 bucks not 2000 or 3000 buck's. For that it better be perfection.  UPDATE  July 28..they already shipped no wait since I had ordered before. got a preferred stat for once, should have next week. .

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine is off to be engraved.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Troy has corrections with ruby ridge if you care.
View Quote

Didn't read the OP did ya?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Ident markings did a great job, but they will not engrave the colt mfg info.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice work I like that,
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top