Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2016 1:15:12 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I have an upper that I picked up at the start of my BRD. The upper is Colt grey. The seller told me that he thought it was a repaint. From what I can tell it has never been touched. I want to paint my lower that is black (PSA or Anderson) the same color. I also have another upper that is in "the white" and it needs to be done too.

So with that being said what should I use?

Who has the correct grey?

What options do I have to spray the color?

Do I have to cook the paint on the lower and upper to cure it? If so, can I let it dry in the heat of summer for days, weeks if not a month?

Can I paint over the black lowers?

It might be something that I will get a gunsmith to do but I sitll want to be informed. I am very tempted to do all my uppers and lowers. I love the grey look.

Thanks everyone.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Aluma hyde
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aluma hyde
View Quote

In the white aluminum needs anodizing, type 3. Or it's too soft

Dark park grey ( which happens to be one of the cheaper colors with brownells dealer discount)

It's summer. Good painting weather, at least here in ms. Do it outside.
If you get cans buy extra nozzles. It dries and ruins them

You can do it yourself.  And you get to keep the leftover paint for your next retro.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I did an A1 Style dissipator in Dark Park Gray, turned out really nice.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not norrels?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp

Norrells Moly Resin in gray is what you seek.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, do I need to take the finish off anything that already has a finish on it?

I have a heat gun (a good heat gun used in bodywork) that I can heat the parts up if I have to.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that upper that you purchased was originally mine, is it a CH  M16A1? I remember seeing it for sale on EE. If it is, that is Norrells grayish/black.  You can spray over your black anodizing and bare aluminum parts just fine. The bare aluminum should be bead blasted or lightly sanded at least to get good adhesion. Yes the parts need to be heated before spraying. he hotter the parts are the flatter & rougher the resin will lay out and cure. The parts must be as clean as possible of all oil and contaminates. With Norrells you need an airbrush or micro paint sprayer set-up. It's pretty forgiving and lays out real even. The cure time is minimum 1 hour at 300 F, you can go longer and hotter but the gray will start turning greenish, like an old Garand. You can also send your parts to John Norrell Arms for coating.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think that upper that you purchased was originally mine, is it a CH  M16A1? I remember seeing it for sale on EE. If it is, that is Norrells grayish/black.  You can spray over your black anodizing and bare aluminum parts just fine. The bare aluminum should be bead blasted or lightly sanded at least to get good adhesion. Yes the parts need to be heated before spraying. he hotter the parts are the flatter & rougher the resin will lay out and cure. The parts must be as clean as possible of all oil and contaminates. With Norrells you need an airbrush or micro paint sprayer set-up. It's pretty forgiving and lays out real even. The cure time is minimum 1 hour at 300 F, you can go longer and hotter but the gray will start turning greenish, like an old Garand. You can also send your parts to John Norrell Arms for coating.
View Quote

This one does not have any markings on it. I just doubled checked. Also the coating feels like all my other uppers as far as the finish goes. It is from what I can tell the same on the inside of the receiver.

I need to check into John Norrell Arms.

The one that is grey I would really like to match a lower to it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This one does not have any markings on it. I just doubled checked. Also the coating feels like all my other uppers as far as the finish goes. It is from what I can tell the same on the inside of the receiver.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you really want it to match and you are going to use Norrels, when you do your lower, refinish the upper at the same time, just spray it good with brake cleaner and make sure the sights, FA and port door are removed. If it were the original gray anodizing I would not refinish, but since it's already been coated you could do a light re-coat to insure a perfect match. The Norrells is so thin, you could get away with it. It does not build up heavy like spray paint or alumahyde
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]
For anodizing Victor at US Anodizing is the best , great work. He is in Virginia
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For anodizing Victor at US Anodizing is the best , great work. He is in Virginia
View Quote

Thank you! I will check into that too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I painted my Bushmaster lower in Aluma-hyde 2 dark park gray and it is a close match to Colt gray.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I painted my Bushmaster lower in Aluma-hyde 2 dark park gray and it is a close match to Colt gray.http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c366/rickfields/DSCN0950_zps1nxekfn7.jpg
View Quote

That looks great! Did you take the finish off before doing it or just right over the parts?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#14]
If I'm understanding this correctly, you will want to anodize the bare receiver first, then you can match colors using the Norrells.
On aluminum AR receivers, you can get away with using Norrells on small (non-anodized) 'bare' areas, if lightly blasted with fine aluminum oxide media (not BEAD) and de-greased as well as humanly possible (MEK).
If the existing anodized piece has Norrells on it, and it's darker than the color you want, I'd give it a very light media blast to remove most of that prior coating, and to roughen the surface slightly. Do not blast thru the existing hard coat anodizing.
For those without media blast gear, it's not all that complicated or expensive .... assuming you already have some kind of good air compressor.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I painted the lower receiver over the existing factory finish, it matches the upper really close that has the Colt gray from the factory.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:24:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Can you use Alumahyde or Norrell's over a bare in the white receiver?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Absolutely. It is meant to be a complete firearm finish not just touch up paint.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#18]
When it comes to using Norrells on AR receivers, it is meant to be used on one that has been hard coat anodized first.
Doing an entire bare aluminum receiver usually proves problematic, and it doesn't really hold up much better than paint, regardless of prep.
If you're wanting a good solid finish that will last, the receiver needs to be anodized, then color match if needed with Norrells.
Using Norrells on bare steel works fine, but on bare AR receivers, it just doesn't work well.
Norrells was never intended as a replacement for type III anodizing on aluminum firearms.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When it comes to using Norrells on AR receivers, it is meant to be used on one that has been hard coat anodized first.
Using it on a totally bare aluminum receiver usually proves problematic, and it doesn't really hold up much better than paint, regardless of prep.  
If you're wanting a good solid finish that will last, the receiver needs to be anodized, then color match if needed with Norrells.
Using Norrells on bare steel works fine, but on AR receivers, it just doesn't work well.
Norrells was never intended as a replacement for type III anodizing on aluminum firearms.  

View Quote

Alumahyde II and Cerakote are much better finish for raw AR receivers. I had a couple of finished 80% lowers and stripped uppers cerakoted to match and they are holding up well.

The Alumahyde II I finished my A1 style dissipator with is new and has not been put to hard use yet, so I cannot comment on that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#20]
It says right on the Norrels website that the best surface is blasted aluminum. It mentions nothing about adhering better to an already anodized receiver. I have seen quite a few people on here spray 80% lowers in the white, not sand blasted, and they came out great and held up great too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Dark park grey here also.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
i've had good luck with norrells over a receiver that i blasted the anno off of.  i resprayed a lower 3 times last week trying to find a good matching color and finish for a colt upper i was using.  it took more work getting the norrells off than the factory type 3 anno.  

leaving the factory anno is fine and usually will give you a "smoother" finish but i still lightly blast the surface to give it some tooth for the norrells.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I need to do some more research on how to really coat the upper that is in "the white' and do it right. A lot of info here to research too and I guess just go for it.

I do not have a sandblaster. I do have a good air-compressor.

My dad did body work his whole life so I'm sure that he and I can get these lowers and uppers done. He is now legally blind but with his help I am sure the two us can do it and more.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like there are differing opinions here.  Lol lol
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there an appropriate rattle can color that is close??
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interested as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Interested as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interested as well.

Rustoleum Automotive Gray Primer is close.  Several threads on here in past postings showing color results, etc.  I used it a few times.  I let it cure by painting and letting it sit 24 hours or so then baking it at 200 for 30 min-hour.  seems to hold up fine enough.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#28]
This! All, Harbor freight/ tractor supply/ hobby lobby.That is all!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top