User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2016 11:21:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Certainly not the only hole in that story.  Like the claims that Stoner didn't live to see the AR become popular with civilians (he saw multiple companies like Bushmaster grow around the production of AR-pattern rifles), and that he died before any mass shootings (he died in '97, three years into the "assault weapon ban," which was supposedly a response to mass shootings).

But I guess that's not technical, so I'll drop that.

I keep a original copy of that ad with my '64 SP1, specifically to remind me that it's a fine field rifle.  Lightweight, made of materials that remain stable despite changes in temperature or moisture, and with a standard magazine that holds a full box of ammo.
It's easy to see how they'd expect it to appeal to hunters and hikers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Well, whatever the original firearm designer originally intended for his invention, the people he did the design for, and or sold the design to, immediately made it available to civilians.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
That price, though.

The problem with time travel is that you need period-correct money.  If I showed up with a stack of Harriet Tubman 20s, they'd be like, "Who are you, and what have you done to our country?"
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That price, though.
View Quote

$1,469 in todays dollars.

AR15's have never been cheaper than they are right now!
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]

I was thinking the same thing haha.

ETA: You owe me money, OP. I just bought one on Ebay for gun room decor.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I need one for my gun room
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]

I will personally attest to the fact that Eugene Stoner's heirs, as naïve and well intended as they appear to be, conveniently overlook the fact that his Title II AR-10, AR-15 and AR-18 firearms were indeed available for sale to 'civilians,' during the late fifties and early sixties.  

Like many of that era, it never even occurred to me to acquire a Title I, semi-auto version, until the 1986 NFA was passed and signed into law (not surprisingly) by Republicans and Democrats.

Hence, Reagan is reviled, whereas Stoner is revered, depending upon who you are.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I need one for my gun room
View Quote

Me too!
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I will personally attest to the fact that Eugene Stoner's heirs, as naïve and well intended as they appear to be, conveniently overlook the fact that his Title II AR-10, AR-15 and AR-18 firearms were indeed available for sale to 'civilians,' during the late fifties and early sixties.  

Like many of that era, it never even occurred to me to acquire a Title I, semi-auto version, until the 1986 NFA was passed and signed into law (not surprisingly) by Republicans and Democrats.

Hence, Reagan is reviled, whereas Stoner is revered, depending upon who you are.
View Quote

Well, when the SP1 came out with an MSRP of $189.50 (actual retail price was probably more like $150 or $160), the $200 extortion payment to Uncle Sam's protection racket would have made the M16 more than twice as expensive than the SP1.

That $200 transfer tax was intended to be a de facto ban on full-autos when it was enacted. In 1934, $200 was $3,586 in today's money according to the CPI inflation calculator. In 1964, $200 was $1,550 in today's money. The impetus behind the Hughes amendment was probably the fact that $200 had become a much smaller roadblock by 1986 ($438 in today's money), and it was quickly losing its de facto ban effect. If the registry were still open today, civilian M16/M4 sales would be sky high, possibly outstripping AR-15 sales (assuming there were enough NFA dealers to keep up with demand). $200 now is just the cost of an accessory or upgrade, such as a scope or new barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top