Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2016 12:52:36 PM EDT
Have any of you guys attempted to do this yourself? I'm doing an xm16e1 and would like to put a few dimpled parts on it. I want to do the pivot pin, takedown pin, and selector switch. I want to do both sides too. What size drill bit do you use and how far do you go? I am a diy guy that's why I'm not just going to buy them done already. I was originally going to get a dpms lpk and take naval jelly to it. Now I'm thinking about getting a dpms kit, dimpiling those parts, then reparking them in the microwave. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If they're properly hardened dumpling with a drill will be impossible. Maybe with abrasive bits in a dremel.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they're properly hardened dumpling with a drill will be impossible. Maybe with abrasive bits in a dremel.
View Quote

+1.  even tried on a drill press.  not something that's easily done without the tools and know how.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
They are hard. I use a carbide center drill on my lathe to drill them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They are hard. I use a carbide center drill on my lathe to drill them.
View Quote

+1    additionally, the dimples are not a straight hole. they need to be done with a center drill, as Braceman mentioned.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
What size center drill and how deep do you go?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
John Thomas at Retro Arms Works can dimple the parts you need done. He also reparkerizes them once done.  (801) 441-2801 or [email protected]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]

I did sum I heated the up with a small oxy acetylene torch then drilled then re tempered and parked

I only see one I drilled

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What size center drill and how deep do you go?
View Quote

I believe I've used both Ought and One's. Depended on what pin/selector was being done. How deep? Varies. Nothing consistent about original divots, but just deep enough to BARELY pick up on the 60 included.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
What is the purpose of the dimpling? I could see it would help with using punches or bullet heads to remove them, but I see them on the selector as well which is impossible to push out from the switch side.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Unless you want to use carbide you'll need to anneal them first. Plus it's kind of a PITA to get the hole centered without doing it in a lathe. Be careful of the left side on the rear pin, it's pretty shallow. Too deep and you'll break into the detent channel.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like I would just be easier to order some from someone on here.   Lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a lathe so this would be easy. So all I need is a Carbide Center Drill, Size 0 and Size 1. Any idea what angle would be correct? 60 82 degree etc?

Any help appreciated! Thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a lathe so this would be easy. So all I need is a Carbide Center Drill, Size 0 and Size 1. Any idea what angle would be correct? 60 82 degree etc?

Any help appreciated! Thanks guys
View Quote

60 included.  center drill.    82 degree cutters are countersinks for flathead screws.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys for the help. My carbide center drills came in today. Should be fun experimenting. I'll report back once I get a cooler day to do this. It's just been too hot and muggy here.

[/URL]
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Let us know how it works. I'm going to order my lpk soon.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for the help. My carbide center drills came in today. Should be fun experimenting. I'll report back once I get a cooler day to do this. It's just been too hot and muggy here.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u388/dayboy1942/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160730_161206488.jpg[/URL]
View Quote

Why did you need two different size drill bits? I'm missing something here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u388/dayboy1942/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160730_161206488.jpg[/URL]

I had mentioned that I have used both oughts and ones in the past. Maybe that is why OP bought both.  If you look at pictures of supposed original devoted parts you'll notice that they all are not the same size divot.  Yeah, you could use the ought, and run it in deeper to get the larger looking divot, but then the pilot diameter might look small for the size of the 60 degree divot......likewise a very shallow divot with a number one would have the pilot diameter looking large, compared to the size of the 60.
Would anyone ever notice that?..........I dunno.  Since the resurgence in popularity of Retro, with many parts being "repoped", it's only a matter of time until the "gene pool" gets contaminated and soon we'll not know if we're looking at an original part or an incorrect repop. One thing for sure about original parts, they're NOT all the same.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top