Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2016 8:50:33 AM EDT
I recently picked up a 3x20 Colt scope and went to install it onto one of my Brownells A1 uppers and it did not fit. So I tried it on my other Brownell upper and it did not fit it either.
So I tried the scope on my 1984 SP1 rifle and it fit, as did it fit on all my other uppers and carry handles I own.

I guess the Brownell A1 uppers are to narrow for the scope to fit down into the carry handle channel. I just wondered if any one else ran into this before?
I will not be turning them because I already Norelled them in  Blackish grey. Not much I can do I am not wanting to alter the scope or upper.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I recently picked up a 3x20 Colt scope and went to install it onto one of my Brownells A1 uppers and it did not fit. So I tried it on my other Brownell upper and it did not fit it either.

So I tried the scope on my 1984 SP1 rifle and it fit, as did it fit on all my other uppers and carry handles I own.

I guess the Brownell A1 uppers are to narrow for the scope to fit down into the carry handle channel. I just wondered if any one else ran into this before?

I will not be turning them because I already Norelled them in  Blackish grey. Not much I can do I am not wanting to alter the scope or upper.
View Quote
Could it be caused by the paint thickness? Let's say if it was already anodized to a tight fit, but with the paint it became excessive?

Is the screw on the side of the scope protruding any?

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Return them or sell them lol
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
the channel for the scope mount is probably cut too narrow.  NDS had some blem 605s that happened to a few years ago.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
That's disappointing to hear
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like someone else to try it on their upper. I have Norelled my uppers so I don't know if that is why they don't fit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, they are too narrow.

I've tried mounting a 4x20 scope and a gooseneck mount to both of my Brownell's A1 upper and neither would fit.
Both the scope and gooseneck fit perfectly on a Colt detachable carry handle and a Fulton Armory slick side upper.

I tried it on my first upper, which had been coated in Norrell's, then a second upper fresh out of the box. Neither fit.
Using my calipers, I measured the channel on the top of each, and both are .5" near the sight, then progressively get narrower going forward down to about .475".

I like my Brownell's A1 uppers, but, the more I compare them to others, the more I am finding wrong with them.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope, they are too narrow.

I've tried mounting a 4x20 scope and a gooseneck mount to both of my Brownell's A1 upper and neither would fit.
Both the scope and gooseneck fit perfectly on a Colt detachable carry handle and a Fulton Armory slick side upper.

I tried it on my first upper, which had been coated in Norrell's, then a second upper fresh out of the box. Neither fit.
Using my calipers, I measured the channel on the top of each, and both are .5" near the sight, then progressively get narrower going forward down to about .475".

I like my Brownell's A1 uppers, but, the more I compare them to others, the more I am finding wrong with them.

View Quote

Well crap!!!!!! I was almost hoping that it was the molly resin was to thick..... I had plans to build another one around that Colt scope.
Oh well maybe a Fulton or a real deal Colt now for my build.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Both of my Brownell's uppers run like tops. It just seems they missed the mark on the little things. (top channel too narrow, takedown lugs too wide, my port doors don't cover the whole ejection port....etc)

The Fulton uppers have much better machining then the Brownell's, but, my only gripe is they didn't anodize them. They are Cerakoted.

Now I know why Nodak Spud is always out of stock!
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a few of the Brownells A1 uppers I haven't used yet.  After reading all these complaints I'm really bummed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Has anybody contacted Brownells yet?
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anybody contacted Brownells yet?
View Quote

I'd like to know that also ...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Having second thoughts about them now....
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm still not sure what the deal is with the Brownells uppers. I bought one because I have a black retro commercial build that had a C7 upper and I wanted a black upper without the brass deflector. It sat around and I never got around to swapping it, then I read the thread about fitment with Anderson lowers issue. Sure enough mine wouldn't work with any of my lowers....5 different manufacturers.

Not slamming Brownells but mine just wouldn't work. The rear pin wouldn't go in at all with any of my lowers. Maybe I got a bad one because others say theirs worked fine. Brownells did say they have a 100% guarantee so mine went back and I'm waiting on a refund.

I will buy from them again because this is the only issue I've ever had with their products and its great they stand behind their items with such a great guarantee.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top